English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 September 2003, 08:21   #1
Critter

Happy winuae gamepad controller

amigos,

I have a psx gamepad here and was thinking of buying a USB-converter. the question is, how compatible will it be in Winuae. I'm not expecting any force feedback but I like to know if the sync is perfect and if theres any control issues with games?

..is it simple to setup the controller?
Old 22 September 2003, 21:16   #2
Djay
95th User

in theory there should be no problems as any directx app should work with it without probs, but it would be nice to see a report anyway..

i might get one myself
Old 23 September 2003, 14:20   #3
Critter

good feedback..
and 50 views and no one has a controller.. geez.. come on someone out there must be having an enjoyment in winuae

share with us
Old 23 September 2003, 14:30   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have PSX to USB converter (small grey box, connected to PS2 dualshock), no problems with WinUAE.
Old 23 September 2003, 14:32   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

I prefer playing with a classic joystick, like when playing on a real amiga, no stupid joypad...
Old 23 September 2003, 14:37   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
I prefer playing with a classic joystick, like when playing on a real amiga, no stupid joypad...
here here
Old 23 September 2003, 14:42   #7
Big-Byte
Long time member

......Although Megadrive pads work quite nicely on a real amiga.
Old 23 September 2003, 15:26   #8
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Byte
......Although Megadrive pads work quite nicely on a real amiga.
Sad it don't work the other way round, I know some amiga joystick works but most of them don't
Old 24 September 2003, 01:35   #9
Simon S

The playstation pad works perfectly, and it's great having all those buttons to assign things to. Turrican and Exile have become far more playable with instant access to all the controls.

Autofire is also a bonus in so many games.

Oh, and as a suggested improvement to winUAE it might be nice to be able to save control configs seperatly to overall configs. That screen gets a bit cluttered once you have few different custom controls (on identical Amiga's).

Anyway I'd recommend the PS pad highly as most pc gamepads are utterly rubbish. There was only one (the provactivly named Thrustmaster Firestorm) that even came close to being as good as a PS pad.

Also the adapters are only about £7 and let you plug 2 pads into one port.

Old 24 September 2003, 11:33   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Is there a similar device for N64 pads or Dreamcast pads?

I'm really not a great fan of the playstation pads. I didn't mind the original dual shock with the longer 'prongs' but all the others are too small and painful after long 'bouts' of play.
Old 24 September 2003, 16:39   #11
Simon S

You do for the N64, no idea about the Dreamcast.

Old 25 September 2003, 10:46   #12
Critter

Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen
I have PSX to USB converter (small grey box, connected to PS2 dualshock), no problems with WinUAE.
Hey Toni, could you tell me what the name of the USB converter. Cheers
Old 25 September 2003, 12:36   #13
xyzzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
Sounds cool! What did you use to connect it to the pc? Did you build an interface yourself?

Old 25 September 2003, 16:24   #14
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by xyzzy
Sounds cool! What did you use to connect it to the pc? Did you build an interface yourself?
This is a PC joystick I bought some years ago, lovely piece of "art"
Old 29 September 2003, 21:58   #15
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally posted by Critter
Hey Toni, could you tell me what the name of the USB converter. Cheers
I don't think the exact same model is available any more, at least I couldn't find it on Lik-Sang when I just checked (I have the same adapter as Toni). Basically any adapter should do - they usually show up as a generic USB HID device.

NTPad/DirectPad also works fine, but it has a performance hit.
Old 29 September 2003, 22:03   #16
TheOutrider

I have a no-name PSX->USB adapter here, 10 EUR in our local gaming store. Works fine.
In general, anything that Windows detects as a normal joystick should work fine; Win95, Win98 and NT4 might be giving some problems though as their USB support is very cough mediocre cough.
I formerly tried to build an adapter for connecting my two old Atari ST joysticks to a standard PC gameport, but failed miserably. Probably screwed up the PCB layout somewhere, meh. I don't care anymore, the PSX-USB adapter fulfills all my needs for digital gaming control

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
Is there a similar device for N64 pads or Dreamcast pads?
Yes. My gaming store of choice even had a combined PSX/N64->USB adapter. I could slap myself now for not taking one of those, especially as they were the same price as the PSX-only variant and even more because I actually bought an N64 now and have N64 controllers that I could use.

Quote:
I'm really not a great fan of the playstation pads. I didn't mind the original dual shock with the longer 'prongs' but all the others are too small and painful after long 'bouts' of play.
There are good third-party PSX/PS2 joypads that are larger out there, you know... but yes, especially the digital-only PSX pads are annoyingly small, and the Sony Dualshock pads are only barely large enough.

[edit] added the reply to killergorilla's post. [/edit]

Last edited by TheOutrider; 29 September 2003 at 22:09.

Old 29 September 2003, 23:31   #17
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I have 2 usb psx adapters one has a N64 adapter too, both work great in Winuae and you can use 2 at a time for 2 player action.

Only prob is some psx pads don't work on it I have a white psx pad that has PSONE written on it and some third party psx pads which wont work with windows.

never figured out why
Old 04 October 2003, 20:10   #18
vertigo

Im using a Rockfire USB adapter with a psx2 controller it works fine with WinUAE.

Bought off ebay

vertigo

Old 05 October 2003, 21:26   #19
barkingboy
Zone Friend

I just bought a Play.com USB Dual PS2 to PC Convertor and it has been excellent so far with WinUAE (and everything else I have tried). No drivers were needed under Windows XP either!
Old 16 October 2003, 13:24   #20
snooo

Logitech Wingman Wireless

someone mentioned PC pads being generally rubbish. I managed to pick up a logitech wingman wireless pad for £20. Apart from being rather large, it has two analouge joysticks, a POV digital d-pad, 6 saturn type buttons and 4 sholder buttons. Like a PSX. And its wireless. And it has a start button.

Its not much use for emulating an amiga (all the buttons are kind of redundant) but its a gem for emulating an N64 whilst lieing in bed

I ought to invest in another pad now though. My housemates keep harrasing me for multiplayer games, and someone else playing on a laptop keyboard isnt really practical.