English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 February 2023, 19:09   #1
Rent_Demon

A600 IDE port Fried

Hello here.
I have an A600 motherboard, rev 2D, kept in garage for some years after a friend of me gave it to me as a broken one.
Recently i started to take a look at it. IDE port pins where all broken or bent and touching each other.
After making sure all pins where not in short-circuit, i powered it and, without surprise, no boot at all!!
I washed all the board with water/soap, bake it to dry it. I replaced all the capacitors, and also the IDE port.
Now the board boots up, with either both ROM 2.05 (>40Mo HD only / >40Mo HD compatible), even with 3.2.1 ROM, but the IDE isn't working.
I tried with a known 2.5" HD coming from another A600, and with a known CF adapter (work also in another amiga).
I checked the IDE port continuities both side with great help from AmigaExporer --> checked OK
The real hardrive get power at least because i can ear it spinning. The CF-card on his side doen't enlight its LED (but i believe it's only an activity LED, not a power one)
Diagrom doesn't see the drive, and pass all other tests (Chip Ram, CIA, IRQ)
HDToolBox after scanning scsi chains is messaging: "No driver installed
Next step i'm afraid is about to try a new Gayle Chip.
I was wondering if any of you have an idea about what to test/check first before unsoldering this Gayle,
or has a way to test Gayle IC without unsoldering it.
Thank you.
PS: The board boot nice from Floppy, Workbench 2.05 loaded for HDToolBox recog test.
Old 06 February 2023, 20:20   #2
supaduper

check the IDE signal,it is generated on pin 13 (cs_1) on Gayle on boot up, it should pulse

Last edited by supaduper; 07 February 2023 at 21:15.
Old 07 February 2023, 07:32   #3
Rent_Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
check the IDE signal,it is generated on pin 13(cs_1) on Gayle on boot up, it should pulse
<br />
<br />
Hi supaduper, and thank you for your answer.<br />
I made some measurements on the Gayle Pin 13 (CS_1) and i have no pulse on it. The pin goes high (5V level) right after boot up and stays high always.<br />
Ok i see 2 or 3 down pulses, but after that nothing.<br />
I made the same measure on a working A600, different rev, but the signal was doing the same on boot up (2/3 down pulses), but after that many activity (a lot of pulses during workbench load on the CF card).<br />
I assume (tell me if i'm wrong !!) that the first pulses sequence is like a detection, and the next big activity happen because detection was successfull with the working motherboard,<br />
and never happen with the faulty board...because no detection.<br />
<br />
I don't know if you have some flowchart of the different signals on startup, but i would be interested in that to understand the bootin process.<br />
Anyway, thank you, and if you know what to check after (detection answer ? or something like that..sorry for my non expert worlds...) you are very welcome.<br />
Thanks again!<br />
Best regards.
PS: the CS_1 signal is samely measurable from the CF reader (to avoid suspicion on IDE cable and CF reader)

Last edited by Rent_Demon; 07 February 2023 at 08:07.
Old 07 February 2023, 08:13   #4
supaduper

Ok if pulsing then assume the CS_1 signal is working,yes first pulse is IDE detection, So you say you get the signal at the IDE header ? pin 38 so that is good news then you need to go check all the other pins and their connections again on the IDE header , I know it is a pain but the only way

Also I think Rom Ver 37.299 or higher is needed to have IDE working so check that to

and is all the A600 chip ram showing up on diagrom I.E. 1mb

Last edited by supaduper; 07 February 2023 at 09:05.
Old 07 February 2023, 09:04   #5
Rent_Demon

Right, not really a pain if i know the issue is somewhere in that IDE port continuity.
At least it make sense now with your support.
I'll do that probably tomorrow and will inform you in any case of result.
Thank you supaduper !!!
Old 07 February 2023, 19:52   #6
Rent_Demon

Supaduper,
i think i missed some of your tips yesterday...
Yes i made sure i plugged the HD compatible ROM (2.05 / 37350 / HD>40Mo).
And yes the Chip Ram is fully detected without any error.
Anyway i spent some time to check continuity, and it was too much lol.
All normal continuities where good, but i also had an additional one unexpected....in fact a short circuit between IDE PIN 40 (Ground) & PIN 38 (IDE_CS_2)
I just unsolder the IDE port once again, and found out that there was some dirt (probably conductive dirt) between those 2 pins under the port (top side).
I will later today re-solder a new IDE port using Flux to prevent any mistake.
Hope this was the only mistake i made...
Thanks again for your help.
More infos later i hope.
Old 07 February 2023, 21:27   #7
supaduper

Yeah just to Clarify as some pinout charts of the Amiga IDE header name the IDE signals slightly different so they can be named CS_1 or CS_0 is the primary IDE port and is pin 13 on Gayle and is connected to pin 37 on the IDE header

And on pin 14 on Gayle is the secondary IDE port which can be called CS_1 or CS_2 is connected to pin 38 on the IDE header depending on the chart you look at
Confusing I know

Obviously just check continutiy between the the pins 13, 14 on Gayle to pins 37,38 on the IDE header
Old 08 February 2023, 15:52   #8
Rent_Demon

Hi!
After re-soldering properly the IDE port, all signal appears to be fine.
The board boots on the HD as expected now!!! I'm happy to have saved this board,
even if i have no use planned for it....it will just be a spare MB for my main A600.
Thank you so much supaduper for your help !!!
I can now focus on my 2 other non working MB ...lol !!!... a 500+ and a 1200.
Cheers!