English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 October 2021, 08:10   #1
Lektroid

Gotek drives and digital floppies.

I recently bought a Gotek drive from ebay, when it arrived it was a copy of a Gotek made by Simulant Technologies, not the original Gotek. The seller has insisted this is a better version of the Gotek (even though the listing advertised it as a Gotek).

I have never used a digital floppy but seems it will not support folders, only files in the root directory. The two buttons will go up and down the list of files and folders in root, but there is no enter button to access the contents of a folder.

There's no other menu's except what is on the USB root, if you run it without a USB plugged in, the only thing that is displayed is the version number, no settings or options menu, or anything coherent.

There doesn't seem to be a manual available for this, so I was wondering if anyone here has had any success using this, or whether I should just return it to the seller as a junk product?
Old 26 October 2021, 08:19   #2
aeberbach

There must be a "select" somewhere. Is it both buttons together maybe? I have one with a wheel to move up/down then push the wheel in to select (Goex; not a clone of Gotek but similar function and uses Flashfloppy also).
Old 26 October 2021, 09:04   #3
Lektroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
There must be a "select" somewhere. Is it both buttons together maybe? I have one with a wheel to move up/down then push the wheel in to select (Goex; not a clone of Gotek but similar function and uses Flashfloppy also).
I tried both buttons together, I've also tried holding the buttons, it just shifts up or down in the root directory. Occasionally I get a sqaure bracket with a couple of dots inside, like this [..], but still no way to go inside a directory. I'm assuming these drives were designed to work these basic functions with the native buttons, without the need for additional hardware.

The drive I have was designed to sit inside an Amiga floppy bay, so no room for an additional button encoder. It has the header for an encoder, but points toward the back of the amiga with no space to add any cables.

At this stage, I think I'd be best to send it back and get a proper Gotek.
Old 26 October 2021, 10:33   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I have one of these devices and it is working brilliantly. I have mine in my A500. I did some mods to add the rotary encoder. This is the one I have, is it the same as yours? https://www.simulant.uk/shop/OpenFlo...Drive-Emulator

It uses the same flash floppy firmware that is used on the Gotek's, so check the wiki to see if there is some info on it. https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki

I have a second one that I can test the buttons on over the weekend. It follows the same design as the Gotek, so there must be a way.
Old 26 October 2021, 11:48   #5
Lektroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I have one of these devices and it is working brilliantly. I have mine in my A500. I did some mods to add the rotary encoder. This is the one I have, is it the same as yours? https://www.simulant.uk/shop/OpenFlops-USB-Floppy-Disk-Drive-Emulator
Yes, that's the one. I got mine with a 3D printed caddy. Unfortunately with the encoder header soldered on pointing at 12 O'Clock, there is no space to attach the wires inside an A1200, as the header almost touches the back of the Amiga, adding cables would mean I could not close the lid of the Amiga.

I initially tried the drive on an external enclosure (DF1), but the Amiga always defaults to solely checking DF0, so nothing works on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
It uses the same flash floppy firmware that is used on the Gotek's, so check the wiki to see if there is some info on it. https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki

I have a second one that I can test the buttons on over the weekend. It follows the same design as the Gotek, so there must be a way.
I looked through the wiki, but doesn't mention how to access directory folders.
Old 26 October 2021, 12:24   #6
Jope
-

You just scroll to the directory, wait a while and it enters the directory and should then list the image files you can see inside.

Are you expecting to be able to mount an entire directory so that it can be seen on the computer side?
Old 26 October 2021, 13:14   #7
Lektroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You just scroll to the directory, wait a while and it enters the directory and should then list the image files you can see inside.
That answers my question! Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Are you expecting to be able to mount an entire directory so that it can be seen on the computer side?
That would be nice, but not sure it's possible...

What I would like to know is if there's a way for the Amiga to read LHA files from the floppy emulator?
Old 26 October 2021, 15:59   #8
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektroid View Post
That would be nice, but not sure it's possible...

What I would like to know is if there's a way for the Amiga to read LHA files from the floppy emulator?
With FlashFloppy I believe the easiest way is to package the LHA inside an ADF and then insert the ADF into the emulated drive.

There are plenty of tools, both GUI and command line to do this.

Myself, I use lallafa's Amitools and its xdftool from the command line.
Old 26 October 2021, 16:54   #9
solarmon

What firmware are you using and what version?

There is normally only two buttons (or rotary encoder) for navigation , and a timeout is used to select the current in focus file or directory.

If you are using FlashFloppy then I would recommend using 'native' mode - https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...up#native-mode - where you can just navigate your ADF/HFE image files and directories using the buttons or encoder.