English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 March 2023, 15:57   #1
nikosidis

Modern Retro

I watch this interview on youtube with Morgan and Peterson.
[ Show youtube player ]
They talk about how they never go back and try to replicate things, cause it is will always turn out a disaster.
I then though about our retro hobby and for the same reason, could turn out to not be what we remember or though about it.
I think this is why it is so important that a platform is still alive. Even if we still enjoy old software and entertainment like demos and games it would not be the same if nothing new where produced.

When I know some game is under development, it is almost more about the excitement and wonder of what it will become than what it will actually be.

In that sense always support development for your platform. It is easy to take it for given. Without it I would not be here, would you?

Have a great Sunday.

Last edited by nikosidis; 19 March 2023 at 16:13.
Old 19 March 2023, 23:12   #2
ImmortalA1000

As with all retro, if you were lucky to own the hardware in the very early days for each system, it was a journey of discovery.

Today, with new releases you can compare them with the best of the best game engines of the past. Is a 2.5D routine for a C64 racing game as good as the routines written by Dave Thomas. Is a new C64 shmup pushing the hardware as hard as Enforcer:Full Metal Blaster. etc etc. Not really into C64 arcade adventures or platform games so I can't comment on those.

In 1983 we had no idea games like First Strike or Enforcer was remotely possible on the C64, today we do.

Lotus II or Beast 1 is at least as impressive for me when I fire up my 1986 Amiga 1000 now as it was on my Amiga 1000 in the past. The fact that a 1984 chipset can sometimes give the PC-E, SNES or MegaDrive a hard time is what I admire most about the Amiga today.

If nobody is writing a better 2.5D routine than First Strike/Buggy Boy for a C64 game then I am not really interested in buying it, I just don't see the point when there are 100,000s of 'free' games to try on all sorts of machines that I still haven't played. If it's free I will give it a try no problem but I don't just buy games just because somebody makes them, just as didn't buy any old game in the 80s for my C64 or Amiga 1000

YEMV.