English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 October 2022, 17:02   #1
Cris1997XX

Kiki KaiKai on the Amiga?

Cheers, everyone! For those who don't know the game in question, Kiki KaiKai is a shoot 'em up video game developed and published by Taito for arcades in 1986. Set in Feudal Japan, the player assumes the role of a Shinto shrine maiden who must use her o-fuda scrolls and gohei wand to defeat renegade spirits and monsters from Japanese mythology. It was also released, unofficially of course, in the west as Knight Boy. Now, I'm not exactly the best programmer on the plaza (Otherwise I would've done this far sooner), but I was wondering if there's any interest in seeing this very unique title on the Amiga. I think 32 colors would be enough to make the graphics justice, and the four channel sound chip would be capable of replicating the soundtrack well enough...if there's a good enough composer behind it, obviously. I know very little about the Amiga's hardware though, and I wanted to ask some veterans' opinions. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 10 October 2022, 18:42   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

as explained in numerous arcade conversion threads before, this is not trivial, specially when the year of the game is > 1985

We had some mid 80 arcade fine conversions recently

Rygar: http://hol.abime.net/6317
Turbo Sprint AKA Super Sprint http://hol.abime.net/6419
Green Beret http://hol.abime.net/6512
and a lot of unfinished stuff (1942, Double Dragon, Robocop, Wonderboy, Rolling Thunder...)

but they weren't exactly piece of cake to remake...

lots of them have dedicated discussion threads here.
Old 10 October 2022, 19:12   #3
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
as explained in numerous arcade conversion threads before, this is not trivial, specially when the year of the game is > 1985

We had some mid 80 arcade fine conversions recently

Rygar: http://hol.abime.net/6317
Turbo Sprint AKA Super Sprint http://hol.abime.net/6419
Green Beret http://hol.abime.net/6512
and a lot of unfinished stuff (1942, Double Dragon, Robocop, Wonderboy, Rolling Thunder...)

but they weren't exactly piece of cake to remake...

lots of them have dedicated discussion threads here.
I saw a video on Rygar. Excellent conversion that could pass as arcade perfect, but sadly it's on the 1200. Same thing for the new Robocop (Which is still a WIP from what I know)
Old 10 October 2022, 20:25   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
I saw a video on Rygar. Excellent conversion that could pass as arcade perfect, but sadly it's on the 1200. Same thing for the new Robocop (Which is still a WIP from what I know)
Most games are really too demanding for the A500. Or you have to remove parts, parts, parts until it fits.....
Old 10 October 2022, 20:42   #5
vulture

I think Kiki KaiKai is fairly doable on an A500. From a quick glance, I didn't notice too many enemies on screen at any given time and they weren't particularly big either.
I'm not a coder tho, so, maybe there's something tricky I can't quite recognize.
Old 10 October 2022, 20:44   #6
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

1:1 on OCS/ECS might not be completely possible but i see that the palette is a bit limited so we can have the game using a 16 color base plus some sprites (player, some enemies)- and have the boss sequences as 32 since those are static screens. The vertical aspect ratio can help for have more bandwidth since there is not a lot of stuff moving around. But Scorpion might be out of question.
Old 10 October 2022, 21:56   #7
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Most games are really too demanding for the A500. Or you have to remove parts, parts, parts until it fits.....
The best option could be to use the japanese way of porting: give up the idea of a 1:1 port and instead do some personalised version of the games, that also provide interesting way to unfold more things such as a plot or more scenarios, but most users want a 1:1 port - therefore has to be done but with the old 80s and 90s modus operandi
Old 10 October 2022, 22:30   #8
robinsonb5

Interesting game - it actually reminds me a bit of Virocop.
Old 10 October 2022, 23:17   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
The best option could be to use the japanese way of porting: give up the idea of a 1:1 port and instead do some personalised version of the games, that also provide interesting way to unfold more things such as a plot or more scenarios, but most users want a 1:1 port - therefore has to be done but with the old 80s and 90s modus operandi
Well after looking at the game, it appears that it is a game that an Amiga can perfectly do with all features in. There are games on A500 that are more complex than this one.
Old 11 October 2022, 16:18   #10
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Gosh, I need to get back to this series.

Anyway, if it was doable on the NES (and it was,) it should be doable on the Amiga.
Old 11 October 2022, 21:10   #11
Alpha One

Hmm I don't see anything special in that video that should not be possible on a standard Amiga 500.
Old 12 October 2022, 14:59   #12
pink^abyss

Yes, this would be IMHO a perfect A500 OCS match (tho I doubt anyone would exactly choose this game to convert )
Old 12 October 2022, 15:27   #13
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
tho I doubt anyone would exactly choose this game to convert

that's the main point. People who are able to convert arcade games invested a lot of time in the projets and thus actually chose them themselves...
Old 13 October 2022, 16:44   #14
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
Gosh, I need to get back to this series.

Anyway, if it was doable on the NES (and it was,) it should be doable on the Amiga.
It WAS doable on NES (Or rather, the Famicom Disk System), but it's a way worse game due to the weaker hardware. It's completely different for one thing, more akin to a Metroidvania, and the loading times are near unbearable...even though Amiga users are used to that
Old 14 October 2022, 11:17   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Well after looking at the game, it appears that it is a game that an Amiga can perfectly do with all features in. There are games on A500 that are more complex than this one.
Let me put it like this: if Mercs is possible with a smooth framerate then surely this game is possible too.
Old 14 October 2022, 12:16   #16
acidbottle

By my reckoning, a game engine could probably handle it, certainly a competent coder could. One issue is there are no map rips online (afaik), sprites are out there though.

But yea, it is a niche title, do not think there will be many takers.
Old 14 October 2022, 12:46   #17
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
By my reckoning, a game engine could probably handle it, certainly a competent coder could. One issue is there are no map rips online (afaik), sprites are out there though.

But yea, it is a niche title, do not think there will be many takers.
It's even more niche than Rygar, which is kinda sad since it spawned a whole series of games, but what can you do...at least I can keep dreaming of playing it on the good 'ol Miggy
Old 14 October 2022, 13:18   #18
acidbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
It's even more niche than Rygar, which is kinda sad since it spawned a whole series of games, but what can you do...at least I can keep dreaming of playing it on the good 'ol Miggy
Like many, rather than wait for someone, have a bash yourself!

Scorpion Engine and Redpill are both very capable engines if you do not fancy learning assembly or C

Even if you do not manage to nail it you'll have fun trying for sure.
Old 14 October 2022, 14:00   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
One issue is there are no map rips online (afaik), sprites are out there though.
That just makes it all the more prudent to roll new levels and provide players with something new in the old
Old 14 October 2022, 16:10   #20
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Anything on the Amiga in the modern day is niche enough that it all blurs together