Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Themes and Palettes discussion

Wow, thanks for all the hard work

Loving the new themes, will need to try some of these out ASAP

Steve.
Old 06 March 2011, 01:15   #2
Bloodwych

Rebel and Cammy are really the ones who made us all aware of what can be done with 16 colours - so a big thanks to them. Also PixelOz for allowing his Regenerating Nostalgia wallpaper to be used after being dithered. You can see it in all its proper glory here:

http://pixeloz.deviantart.com/art/Re...er-3-198324927

I added the themes just to make people aware of what is possible with a few small changes - also show how cool outlined fonts, copper effects and borderless icons are.

I'm sure most will want to create a wallpaper and look for themselves, as many already have (including me, I slapped together the Retro one above). This just gives them a few different starting points and choices to work from.

The default standard ClassicWB look is still available too of course.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 06 March 2011 at 01:37.
Old 06 March 2011, 02:23   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Great!
So all this options are now in all the CWB packs? Is there a way to update mine with the new add-ons or shall I install all again?
Old 06 March 2011, 02:31   #4
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Awesome and thorough information and screenies Bloodwych my friend!!!

Your packs are full of win. Thanks once more
Old 06 March 2011, 10:35   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Bloodwych,

I notice you normally sticky and lock these posts - its ok with me if you want to move our posts to a general discussion thread and lock this one
Old 06 March 2011, 11:36   #6
Bloodwych

Thanks to you all for your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Great!
So all this options are now in all the CWB packs? Is there a way to update mine with the new add-ons or shall I install all again?
You can always just copy over files manually. I stopped doing update packs as they were too complicated. People would customize Workbench themselves and I'd end up breaking things (it was attempted in the past)!

Worth updating? It depends - you can see the changes in the Update thread, nothing major - if you're happy with your Theme, have already added Cyberbugfix (OS3.5/9) and everything is working as you want it, then I wouldn't bother updating. These packs are just starting points and newer isn't better if you've spent time configuring a pack for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@Bloodwych,

I notice you normally sticky and lock these posts - its ok with me if you want to move our posts to a general discussion thread and lock this one
No problem, I can always sticky and edit a thread to look like the others in the future. I thought I'd leave this open for a while to see what people think.

I know Novacoder offered to provide some wallpapers, and I can add more themes pretty easily or perhaps make them separate addon packs. That Dino wallpaper you made Retrofan looked fantastic in 16 colours!

As mentioned in the main update thread, mfilos also gave me the incentive to include PixelOz's wallpaper after mapping it to 16 colours and showing what it looked like. Originally, I was just going to include the Retro theme with my own amateurish wallpaper.
Old 07 March 2011, 00:33   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Rebel and Cammy are really the ones who made us all aware of what can be done with 16 colours - so a big thanks to them.
I tried to make you aware in 2006 - and offered to help you with a 16-colour ClassicWB pack. You said:

Quote:
To be honest, the ClassicWB isn't made to look "good".
Old 07 March 2011, 00:42   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I tried to make you aware in 2006 - and offered to help you with a 16-colour ClassicWB pack. You said:

Quote:
To be honest, the ClassicWB isn't made to look "good".
My guess is that because, since then, ClassicWB has both diversified and become more highly tuned, it is now thought to be worth making it look good too.

Unfortunately, it was just bad timing on your part, mr_a500.

Last edited by prowler; 07 March 2011 at 00:47.
Old 07 March 2011, 01:40   #9
Bloodwych

Fair comment mr a500, noted that you suggested something back then. I bet you would have offered some great advice and still can today. I've seen your Workbench shots in other threads - awesome work. As Prowler said, a lot can change in four years and timing on answers is a big thing.

I still refuse to add, birdie, skins, visual prefs custom buttons, start menus type things, window animations etc - the packs aren't meant to look good by going away from the Classic base look and feel. I still want the packs to be like a Classic Workbench, which I think they are, so in a way that statement still holds true. There is a lot more fluff that can be added than an optimized wallpaper and palette and changing a few Scalos/NewIcon/Copper Demon settings. And even a year ago, I didn't have any intention of adding wallpapers or Themes, as I saw that as the users job and mine to provide a base install. I still do, but decided to offer some shortcuts.

I guess the new accelerators that came out for ECS machines and Rebel's and Cammy's recent work made me change my mind that 16 colour optimization was an important thing to add for users. Many seemed to doing it lately so I thought ok, I'll add it as an install option to save others a little work. I know many others including yourself mr a500 have produced optimized palettes in 16 (or more) colours with fantastic results, but the momentum of Rebel and Cammy's recent work is what seems to motivate everyone recently.

There are probably a few people that have suggested things to me over the years and I've completely forgotten them then gone on and added it at a later date. I guess I should keep better notes! But yeah, people have every right to defend their input if overlooked.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 07 March 2011 at 01:59.
Old 09 March 2011, 15:36   #10
Bloodwych

BTW, can anyone name all the games in the Retro wallpaper?
Old 09 March 2011, 16:20   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yes.
Old 09 March 2011, 16:23   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Yes.
Go on then
Old 09 March 2011, 16:25   #13
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I never said it was me who could name them all

I nominate Cody.
Old 10 March 2011, 00:47   #14
NovaCoder

Quote:
I still refuse to add, birdie, skins, visual prefs custom buttons, start menus type things, window animations etc - the packs aren't meant to look good by going away from the Classic base look and feel. I still want the packs to be like a Classic Workbench, which I think they are, so in a way that statement still holds true. There is a lot more fluff that can be added than an optimized wallpaper and palette and changing a few Scalos/NewIcon/Copper Demon settings. And even a year ago, I didn't have any intention of adding wallpapers or Themes, as I saw that as the users job and mine to provide a base install. I still do, but decided to offer some shortcuts.
As these packs are used by users on real Amiga's they need to tread a fine line between looking good and performance (also consider that the more 'tweaks' you do the less stable the system will be to a certain degree).

Anyway fine work Bloodwych, can't wait to get the 3.9 version up and running on my new 030 1200
Old 10 March 2011, 00:52   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@NovaCoder,

Did you notice I was using the latest version of ADV SP in the Vid I made for ScummVM?

With the Regen theme
Old 10 March 2011, 02:25   #16
NovaCoder

Yep and looking good
Old 11 March 2011, 13:47   #17
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
As these packs are used by users on real Amiga's they need to tread a fine line between looking good and performance (also consider that the more 'tweaks' you do the less stable the system will be to a certain degree).
I agree - the default Classic look and setup shown on the main webpage is always going to be the main focus. I also only want to add what I consider essential patches and enable/disable options, hence the lack of eye candy extras such as Birdie skins, Menubar replacements, widgets and Startmenu thingies.

The optimized 16 screenmodes and Themes actually help performance on some packs due to less colours (eg ADVSP), but of course you lose some Fastram for the wallpaper due to the uncompressed IFF image.

Apart from that, these themes don't really change much apart from offer a few different starting points and show users what's possible.