English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 15 December 2008, 20:45   #1
Gaula92

E-UAE: are smooth and synced graphics & sound possible at the same time?

Hello there!

Since I am currently working near Madrid, I had to left my trusty Amiga 1200 in Salamanca...So I am on the emulation side of the Amiga for a while: a curious side, to say the least.

I am using the last public version of E-UAE for MAC OSX, running on both 10.4.11(PPC) and 10.5.x(Intel) machines, and I am having some serious trouble here: I am also using OpenGL accelerated graphics, cycle-exact emulation, v-sync on, perfect sound settings...but I can't get perfect sound & video at the same time!

-If I set a refresh rate of 50HZ, I DO get perfect scroll in demos/games, smooth as silk, but sound has gasps that can't be fixed by increasing the sound buffer. I think it's because 50Hz is not enough to fill in every "sound frame", so to say, and the sound chips needs a veery little higher refresh rate.

-If I seg a refresh rate of 50.169Hz, I get perfect sound, with no gasps at all (sound emulation in e-uae is truly awesome), but video seems to skip ocassional frames, once every few seconds. I think PAL refresh rates expected by the chipset is no 50HZ, but a bit higher.

I've tried A LOT of values between 50.0Hz and 50.169Hz, with no luck: some of the values give gasps in sound, and other give skippy framerate, some steps away from the perfect smooth graphics of the real Amiga.

Of course, those problems are for chipset games/demos: no complains about Picasso96 desktop system.

With NTSC chipset emulation, and refresh rates of 60-60.3Hz, I have the same issues: lower values tend to give me smooth graphics and sound gasps, while higher ones give perfect sound and ocassional frameskip.

Can you give me some advice here, pleae? I know you guys know you amigas very well and must know what video modes can be set and used in e-uae for perfect sound/graphics sync, if it can be done at all (I have my doubts).

PD: I can set any custom video mode with SwitchResX, a Mac OSX tool. FrameSkippping is off in e-uae, etc...
Configuration generated with the latest HI-TORO, and verified by myself.
The "native" resolution of 720x576@50-60Hz seems to work in my monitor, with the problems I mentioned.
Of course; I've tried disabling cycle-exact emulation, etc... It's a refresh rate related problem.
I need help from a person with good visual perception and knowledge about screen modes/refresh rates.

Last edited by Gaula92; 15 December 2008 at 20:50.
Old 16 December 2008, 19:09   #2
cybernoid
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Gaula,
I don't think it's possible to make E-UAE 'slowdown' just to play ocs games.
I dont remember now, but go to uae.rc and see if there's a 'A500 compatibily mode option' or something like that and if so set it to 'TRUE' (E-UAE will be a lot slower but ok for games)
You can also try disable cpu cache - dir c: and check if you have a command starting with cpu#? or setcpu#? (sorry i dont remember well right now) or sysinfo also can disable caches. But I think the 1st option is 'more accurate'

And disable JIT (uae.rc) also can make the emulation more compatible
Old 16 December 2008, 21:14   #3
Gaula92

E-UAE has several settings for precise, cycle-exact OCS emulation. No need to slow anything down: if you set the compatible cpu settings and ECS/OCS chipset with a real-speec emulation of the 68000, there is no problem with speed.

This problem IS NOT speed-related. But thanks for your answer.

Anybody with good knowledge of the refresh rates expected by e-uae in PAL/NTSC chipset videomodes?