English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 14 October 2020, 20:23   #21
andyhants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
It’s intended to be HD installed, but it can run from floppy with a “manual” installation. On a single-disk setup you’ll have to forego (most of) the music. With multiple disk drives you’ll need to adjust the icon tooltypes so that it looks for the music on another volume rather than the relative path of MB_Music/. Boards are loaded via a standard file requester so those can be stored anywhere.
I really really tried - promise - but just got hopelessly confused. I know its a huge ask but is there any chance anyone could kindly do what Matt H is suggesting and create an ADF run-able disk set for MegaBall 4 & post it in the Zone? I would be hugely grateful & send beer*

* possibly not true
Old 14 October 2020, 21:59   #22
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Chances are Matt that CAM probably sourced their version of Ball from a BBS rather than directly from the Mackey brothers, so they may not have received the original decrunched archive (if that was, indeed, how it was distributed by the Mackey brothers when they released it into the public domain). As you probably know, a lot of PD games/utils on the North American BBS's were bundled (often in crunched form) on to compilation disks Fred Fish style back then.
Right. My "chain of custody" theory is that Ed Mackey put it up on a BBS and that archive spread to other BBSs and then to CAM/Assassins/etc where it was crunched/modified for disk distribution. Since the version I had originally was not crunched I assume it came from that BBS archive. Still trying to track that down.

Quote:
As for the source code, my guess is that the graphics and audio files weren't distributed if the Mackey brothers had immediate plans to expand on Ball by developing shareware versions of it that were released as MegaBall a year later. We'll probably never know unless someone in your neck of the woods unearths some crusty old disk or hard drive/backup with the original PD release on it.
Yup. I am scouring my collection of decommissioned hard drives and SyQuest cartridges and forgotten PD compilation CDs looking for it!
Old 14 October 2020, 22:30   #23
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhants View Post
I really really tried - promise - but just got hopelessly confused. I know its a huge ask but is there any chance anyone could kindly do what Matt H is suggesting and create an ADF run-able disk set for MegaBall 4 & post it in the Zone? I would be hugely grateful & send beer*

* possibly not true
An ADF is too small for MegaBall4 data are, an HDF Bootable with MegaBall4 instead could be created.
Old 15 October 2020, 00:41   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:

* possibly not true
Well, I've spent the past few hours having a crack at this...

I got it so everything fits on disk 1, except the music files. I then crunched all the music files and they now fit on disk 2

Tested all of the above from hard drive first, and all works perfectly

Next step was to copy everything over over to floppy disks and test. However, when launching from floppy disk I get:

The exact same files on a bare-bones .HDF work without issue...

I really don't know why when on floppy disk things doesn't work; maybe there's something coded in the "MEGABALL" file but that's beyond my skill level.

I can put all files somewhere if some Amiga guru wants to try and figure it out?
Old 15 October 2020, 12:35   #25
DamienD
Banned

Phew!!! That was a lot of work and I had to overcome many issues...

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I've successfully made a 2 x disk set for MegaBall AGA v4.0

You will find the game in RAM:

If you have a stock A1200 i.e. only 2MB of Chip RAM, then 3 out of 5 songs will preload:

If you have an A1200 with 2MB of Chip & 1MB Fast RAM, then all songs will preload:

Archive "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R).zip" is now in The Zone!

Last edited by DamienD; 18 October 2020 at 12:40.
Old 15 October 2020, 17:27   #26
DamienD
Banned

Ok, I had a few other ideas / tricks up my sleave

So I've now improved the original set I created, details are as follows:
  • All content included.
  • On a stock A1200 with only 2MB of Chip RAM; 4 out of the 5 songs now preload.
  • On an A1200 with 2MB of Chip & 1MB Fast RAM; 5 out of the 5 songs preload.
File in The Zone! named "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R)_2MB Chip & 1MB Fast.zip".

I've also create another set, details are as follows:
  • Editor and all Docs removed.
  • On a stock A1200 with only 2MB of Chip RAM; 5 out of the 5 songs now preload.

File in The Zone! named "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R).zip".
Old 16 October 2020, 19:12   #27
andyhants

Damien mate - you're a complete hero huge thanks!
Old 16 October 2020, 22:08   #28
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Damien mate - you're a complete hero huge thanks!
Sure

It was a massive challenge, but I like those

I mean, as mentioned... for some reason the game doesn't like being run from floppy disk and gives the error described in post #24

Copy the exact same files to hard drive or RAM, and all is good.

This is why on Disk 1 I ended up having to create an .LZX archive of the main game, and then extract to RAM...

I also had to compress the game file / some data files / all board files / all music files in order to get everything to fit.

I must have spent at least 8 hours getting everything figured out / testing / perfecting / creating the final .ADFs.

Anyway... out of interest; which version are you going to use?

Last edited by DamienD; 17 October 2020 at 01:00. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
Old 17 October 2020, 18:16   #29
andyhants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Sure

It was a massive challenge, but I like those

I mean, as mentioned... for some reason the game doesn't like being run from floppy disk and gives the error described in post #24

Copy the exact same files to hard drive or RAM, and all is good.

This is why on Disk 1 I ended up having to create an .LZX archive of the main game, and then extract to RAM...

I also had to compress the game file / some data files / all board files / all music files in order to get everything to fit.

I must have spent at least 8 hours getting everything figured out / testing / perfecting / creating the final .ADFs.

Anyway... out of interest; which version are you going to use?

Err not sure yet - going to have a play tonite then will let you know.
Old 17 October 2020, 20:00   #30
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Err not sure yet - going to have a play tonite then will let you know.
Well it sounds like you emulate from your previous posts...

So then it's no problem to set an "AGA - 4MB Fast RAM expanded configuration"

The archive "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R).zip" is really for real A1200 users who only have the stock 2MB Chip RAM.

I mean, the archive "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R)_2MB Chip & 1MB Fast.zip" will still run on a stock A1200 2MB Chip RAM... but you only get 4 out of 5 songs.
Old 17 October 2020, 20:37   #31
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Double D
Stellar work mate - must give it a whirl too on my A1200! Just another quickie - MegaBall 4.0 was commercial rather than shareware <DrB runs off Road Runner style - meep meep! ). The Mackey brothers were definitely a hard act to follow with this game:

- Ball V1.0 (OCS/ECS) = PD
- MegaBall V1.x/2.x (OCS/ECS) = shareware (new HOL entry is on the TODO list! )
- MegaBall V3.x (OCS/ECS/AGA) = shareware
- MegaBall V4.0 (OCS/ECS/AGA) = commercial
Old 17 October 2020, 20:52   #32
DamienD
Banned

Yeah you better run Carlo...

Ok, so TOSEC folk (if they are even interested in these disks) can just rename then.
Old 17 October 2020, 20:55   #33
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
The Mackey brothers were definitely a hard act to follow with this game
Have you tried Maniacball?

Cool concept with 4 x bats
Old 18 October 2020, 12:25   #34
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just another quickie - MegaBall 4.0 was commercial rather than shareware <DrB runs off Road Runner style - meep meep! ). The Mackey brothers were definitely a hard act to follow with this game:

- Ball V1.0 (OCS/ECS) = PD
- MegaBall V1.x/2.x (OCS/ECS) = shareware (new HOL entry is on the TODO list! )
- MegaBall V3.x (OCS/ECS/AGA) = shareware
- MegaBall V4.0 (OCS/ECS/AGA) = commercial
Quote:
Yeah you better run Carlo...

Ok, so TOSEC folk (if they are even interested in these disks) can just rename then.
Ok, have renamed correctly and put into The Zone!
Old 18 October 2020, 20:24   #35
andyhants

Quote:
Well it sounds like you emulate from your previous posts...

So then it's no problem to set an "AGA - 4MB Fast RAM expanded configuration"

The archive "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R).zip" is really for real A1200 users who only have the stock 2MB Chip RAM.

I mean, the archive "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R)_2MB Chip & 1MB Fast.zip" will still run on a stock A1200 2MB Chip RAM... but you only get 4 out of 5 songs.

Yes you're quite right I'm running WinUAE - AmiKit version for admin / file mgmt, downloads from Poeut etc, then A500 & A1200 versions for games & demos playing.

I've just used the version you did with the longer filename inc the RAM bits. Works fine - doesn't feel like I'm missing anything & I've setup another ADF with extra Boards I downloaded from Aminet - seems to be working fine. Am I missing something obvious ?
Old 18 October 2020, 20:45   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Yes you're quite right I'm running WinUAE - AmiKit version for admin / file mgmt, downloads from Poeut etc, then A500 & A1200 versions for games & demos playing.

I've just used the version you did with the longer filename inc the RAM bits. Works fine - doesn't feel like I'm missing anything
As long as you set "2MB Chip & 1MB Fast RAM" then all songs will preload with "MegaBall AGA v4.0 (1995)(Mackey Software)(ECS-AGA)(SW-R)_2MB Chip & 1MB Fast.zip"

Quote:
& I've setup another ADF with extra Boards I downloaded from Aminet - seems to be working fine. Am I missing something obvious ?
Not sure I understand your question; "Am I missing something obvious ?".
Old 19 October 2020, 19:12   #37
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Just another quickie - MegaBall 4.0 was commercial rather than shareware <DrB runs off Road Runner style - meep meep! ).
Quote:
Ok, have renamed correctly and put into The Zone!
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist - you love all that TOSEC naming stuff! It's a pity that TOSEC is so obtuse about what they will and won't include sometimes. In this case, I think your disk adaptation of MegaBall 4 should be included purely coz the only TOSEC versions that exist are - like the original release - HD versions that need to be installed from floppy.

Quote:
Have you tried Maniacball?

Cool concept with 4 x bats
Yep, another very good Breakout clone! I did a major update on the HOL entry a few months ago by adding screenshots and a stack of notes. Cybersphere Plus is another fave Breakout clone of mine!

Incidentally, whenever you see detailed notes in a HOL entry like the those in Maniacball, there's a 98% chance that I did them. Detailed notes are usually time-consuming to do, which is why hardly any of the other HOL admins. do them all that often for HOL entries!
Old 19 October 2020, 19:32   #38
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I think your disk adaptation of MegaBall 4 should be included purely coz the only TOSEC versions that exist are - like the original release - HD versions that need to be installed from floppy.
They are all 3 disks; mine is on 2 disks, and that's installed

As mentioned; I wouldn't have had to archive / extract the main game to RAM if the damn thing ran directly from floppy

Quote:
I got it so everything fits on disk 1, except the music files. I then crunched all the music files and they now fit on disk 2

Tested all of the above from hard drive first, and all works perfectly

Next step was to copy everything over over to floppy disks and test. However, when launching from floppy disk I get:

The exact same files on a bare-bones .HDF work without issue...

I really don't know why when on floppy disk things doesn't work; maybe there's something coded in the "MEGABALL" file but that's beyond my skill level.

Last edited by DamienD; 19 October 2020 at 19:38.
Old 23 March 2021, 23:33   #39
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Should any of you be interested in playing OCS/ECS MegaBall from a single ADF, v2.0 loads fine in WinUAE and plays beautifully, while v2.1 returns a guru error. Both games can be downloaded from the EAB File Server, under Public Domain.
Old 24 March 2021, 10:10   #40
hitm4n

Nice work on this Damien. Megaball 4 was my favourite breakout for Amiga by a long way. Poing a very close 2nd place only due to it being so much harder. I had many board sets back in the day but all long gone now.

I think i'm going to grab all boards i can find on Aminet and incorporate them to your HDF, need to check what you;ve put into your setup first.

Anyway, nice one, i really like this game.