English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 25 April 2021, 14:09   #21
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
It's because you are trying to copy the file on to itself.
You noticed it also
Old 25 April 2021, 15:05   #22
Retro1234
Phone Homer

there are versions of cross-dos for 1.3

probably sacrilege but workbench 1.x isn't that great but it has some cool stuff, it can do most stuff, depends what you want to do and what resources you have.
Old 25 April 2021, 16:37   #23
Rissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Why do you need this though?

You already have all required ROMs for emulation use.
I have no idea really. Thought it was quite a cool thing to try and do. Another feather in ones cap?

I originally thought this was something everyone did in case anything corrupt happens to their chip. Like a virus or whatever.

Perhaps not.

I'd presume i'd need some sort of chip burning kit to be able to copy it back on to the chip anyway....? I've not read that far to know yet.
Old 25 April 2021, 23:50   #24
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
I have no idea really. Thought it was quite a cool thing to try and do. Another feather in ones cap?

I originally thought this was something everyone did in case anything corrupt happens to their chip. Like a virus or whatever.

Perhaps not.

I'd presume i'd need some sort of chip burning kit to be able to copy it back on to the chip anyway....? I've not read that far to know yet.

It's a ROM chip - it's read-only. The only way it can be harmed is if it's physically damaged. And if the ROM chip is physically damaged, odds are the rest of the Amiga is going to be much worse off and the ROM will be the least of your problems. Besides, ROM chips - especially 1.3 ROM chips - are the one bit of Amiga hardware that is in plentiful supply.
Old 26 April 2021, 09:30   #25
Rissy

Ok, point taken. But it was a bit of fun for ooooooh 5 mins.
Old 26 April 2021, 09:34   #26
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Don't feel guilty. Those "fun for ooooooh 5 mins. " are really important. Experiment as much as possible and have fun as often as you can. Best way to learn
Old 26 April 2021, 13:53   #27
PDrill

Quote:
UPDATE: I've just discovered that "CrossDOS" is only a viable solution for Amigas with a minimum of KickStart 2.0. I have 1.3. I'll have to try the Amiga Explorer route.

Didn't read to whole thread so not sure what you wanted CrossDOS for, but if you want to use PC 720k floppies Dos2Dos will work with 1.3 machines too and it's most likely available on the internet.
Old 26 April 2021, 15:27   #28
zipper

Messydos, too. Aminet.
Old 26 April 2021, 23:13   #29
Matt_H

Quote:
Well, you got Amiga Explorer working, too. That’s an accomplishment that’ll make your life much easier as you continue to work with the system.

(Reminder in case you don’t know: never hotplug anything into an Amiga; always power down before connecting/disconnecting cables.)
Old 27 April 2021, 09:31   #30
Rissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Well, you got Amiga Explorer working, too. That’s an accomplishment that’ll make your life much easier as you continue to work with the system.

(Reminder in case you don’t know: never hotplug anything into an Amiga; always power down before connecting/disconnecting cables.)
Oh! Thanks for that. I'll admit i'm not in the habit of doing that anyway, but for the likes of joysticks or the mouse, i may have done that.
Old 13 October 2022, 23:36   #31
Gernot66

You are randomly exploring OS1.3, i'm amazed!
If it doesn't serves anything else but it's a load of fun.

I like that blue on blue in blue, keep it going and probably visit as well "Amiga Love" just because it's less a technical oriented forum.

You found a suitable clock on aminet?
Personally i use "DClock" ("d" stands for dumb) but it's a problem child which can interfere with applications (SimCity i.e. doesn't likes it - erm "dumb"?). It has some extras i don't like to miss like the 8SVX (custom sample) hour signal or that it can tell you the time using the SPEAK device (obviousely SPEAK must be mounted but that is standard setup).
Another handy and small one is "MemClock/MinClock" (same release) MemClock shows you like many others the available RAM split up in chip and fast ram while MinClock as the name tells is the minimal version of it without this feature, so far i haven't encountered any problems with this proggy running.
A very small (in bytes) clock program is: "DigiClock" unlike the previous two it doesn't resides in the menu bar and is almost like a minimal version of the OS1.3 Clock utilitiy. Also here there are no problems known to me with this one (as less fancy as less problemtical).

Store preferences (and do some fancy things), "Iconizer" (not to confuse with ICONZE which creates dithered icons "on the fly" - cough, almost on the fly - from larger high colored images) stores your recent pointer as an icon and the pointer can be recalled from this icon, colors and hotspot are a tooltype of the pointer icon, it's a very nice thing to have and apart from toying around with it you can have custom pointers for specific applications.
A similar helper is "KPoints Prefs" it can store the system-configuration from a script it can recall a specific system-configuration you stored under a different path/name, it can store the recent pointer in System-Configuration and as well load only the pointer from a custom different named config file, it's a good companion to "Iconizer" since this won't store your pointer in the System-Configuration and it will be "lost" after a reboot (not lost for real but it won't be used in the next session). Both Applications can make some troubles with "WBPIC" or "SIMGEN" (both will splatter an image on the Workbench Screen) as well with setcolor programs to change the systemwide palette since both influence this palette. KPoints/Prefs s a bit a troublemaker and kicks out any menu when it loads the system-configuration or a pointer (but the standard Preferences program does this as well as well as the P-Preferences replacement, to avoid such you need a script which will reload a menu after the Prefs program was running, also they don't like custom workbench backgrounds by wbpic or simgen, means it will simply reset the first color register to 0x05A "blue on blue in blue").

I have a thread on "Amiga Love" where i post my add-ons, that's the slight difference of "Amiga Love" to a forum like this you will find tons of mostly visual customizing of mostly OS1.3.

Some random screenshots (or less random, i just like to drive you crazy):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2j6UYFxLQBeoMAPb8

(yes it's slightly off-topic and yes i should open here a thread of my image vault as well and yes this will exceed your floppy driven (?) A500 the content would be already to much for my former A2000 with a whopping 250MB HD)

@ the forum admins
I really like the smileys they remind me of better days and aren't they major to this emoji tohou-wabohou?
Old 14 October 2022, 00:32   #32
Gernot66

Just because
https://archive.org/download/Introdu...ommodore_a.pdf

I took a brief look into it and i guess it's just right for a newbe even if the most obvious is described step by step or exactly because of that.

For the O.S.
https://www.pagetable.com/docs/amiga...dos_manual.pdf
(1.2 i assume)
or
https://retro-commodore.eu/files/dow...0eBook-ENG.pdf
later release i assume 1.3
(personally i refere more to the german "Markt & Technik" manual)

for a quick reference i refere to this:
http://www.jaruzel.com/amiga/amiga-o...rence-help.zip
It's O.S. 1.3 related unlike what you else find and will confuse you since most refere to O.S. 3.idunnowhattheheck
(pardon i own an A4000 as well and of course it runs O.S.3.1 but not further, btw both my A500 and the A4000 still rest i need more workspace for them especially for my large multisync monitor, the A2000 i talked about i gifted decades ago to a friend. "more workspace" if i would dump all the beer cans...)

Erm yes, the reference is in html format open "index.html" to get access to all pages.
most probably the manual is even online at the same address i just downloaded it as zip because i'm often offline since i have no own web access, it's to expensive in switzerland for a broken ass like me (about ten times of what you pay else in europe, europe is reminding switzerland of better web access and what the nine-to-fivers here think of is that kindergarten leaks of tablets... that it could be relatet to the cost they can't imagine since they earn themselves far to much for far to less work. It's a little recognized fact that the difference between poorest and the richest in switzerland is larger as in the united states and industrial workers no matter how well educated they are aren't part of the wealthy swiss).

Broken ass with a soldering iron - at least

"Die Schweiz der Banken und Versicherungen" - ich bekomme immer noch Magenkrämpfe davon und das wir jede Schraube verkauft haben zugunsten der genannten Parasiten.

Last edited by Gernot66; 14 October 2022 at 01:04.