English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 06 June 2022, 18:14   #1
Snowwie

Send a message via ICQ to Snowwie
iGame cannot load "Muimaster.library"

So I installed OS 3.1.4 on my A1200 which also has an 3.1.4 rom set. I did basically everything that was needed to get the combination whdload and igame working but igame seems to struggle with "MUImaster". And, I don't understand, because I did install Muimaster and the muimaster.library is in the LIBS folder, even a duplicate is present in the SYS/MUI/LIBS folder. Furthermore all roms have been copied into the DEVS folder, and here I get stuck. I get iGame saying it can't open Muimaster.library while I did do the install of MUI (using the most recent file from Aminet).

What am I missing?
Old 06 June 2022, 19:09   #2
Matt_H

Is this the version of MUI you used? Did you reboot after installing it? MUI requires a complex series of assigns that should be added to user-startup by the installer. If you skipped that step or if those commands otherwise don't execute then MUI won't work.
Old 06 June 2022, 20:32   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwie View Post
the muimaster.library is in the LIBS folder, even a duplicate is present in the SYS/MUI/LIBS folder.
This should not be. There shouldn't be any part of MUI in Sys:libs. All parts of MUI install into SYS:MUI (if you installed MUI there) and the MUI libraries are in SYS:MUI/Libs.

Make sure that you don't have any duplicates.

As Matt_H mentioned, you have to reboot after installation.
Old 06 June 2022, 21:57   #4
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
So I installed OS 3.1.4 on my A1200 which also has an 3.1.4 rom set. I did basically everything that was needed to get the combination whdload and igame working but igame seems to struggle with "MUImaster". And, I don't understand, because I did install Muimaster and the muimaster.library is in the LIBS folder, even a duplicate is present in the SYS/MUI/LIBS folder. Furthermore all roms have been copied into the DEVS folder, and here I get stuck. I get iGame saying it can't open Muimaster.library while I did do the install of MUI (using the most recent file from Aminet).

What am I missing?
Okay so first off download and use the Amiga to LHA unarchive and install MUI 3.8. Reboot when done. DO NOT use a PC and Winarc to unpack the file etc.. as MUI contains a empty file that Windows doesn’t recognise and it’s required!

Try getting MUI 3.8 from here; https://www.ibrowse-dev.net/2.5/download.php

IGame also requires a couple of extra files to get up and running which are NOT included in MUI 3.8.

These are .MCC files.
Old 07 June 2022, 01:37   #5
Snowwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Is this the version of MUI you used? Did you reboot after installing it? MUI requires a complex series of assigns that should be added to user-startup by the installer. If you skipped that step or if those commands otherwise don't execute then MUI won't work.
Yes, that is the version being used. I have to admit that during the first install I changed the target directory of MUI to be installed in. And yes, I rebooted. But after this did not worked and iGame said it could not found muimaster.library I thought it might had to be installed in the default directory, so I tried that, but to no avail.

I do all the unpacking on the Amiga itself since I am aware of Windows not always recognizing filetypes. It's a bit an annoying thing to do to everything enter the lha command, although I vagelue remembered there was a file manager program that could unpack lha files on the Amiga as well. Dopus maybe?
Old 07 June 2022, 01:48   #6
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Yes, that is the version being used. I have to admit that during the first install I changed the target directory of MUI to be installed in. And yes, I rebooted. But after this did not worked and iGame said it could not found muimaster.library I thought it might had to be installed in the default directory, so I tried that, but to no avail.

I do all the unpacking on the Amiga itself since I am aware of Windows not always recognizing filetypes. It's a bit an annoying thing to do to everything enter the lha command, although I vagelue remembered there was a file manager program that could unpack lha files on the Amiga as well. Dopus maybe?
Dopus can be used to unarchive but you still need the “lha” program in C: to do it

I take it you have MUI master.library in sys:Libs ?
Old 13 July 2022, 20:20   #7
Snowwie

A month further, since I have been 3 weeks away to The Philippines, this problem still persists:

First I removed any MUI related files in maps where they should not be. Then I installed MUI again and make sure it got installed in SYS:MUI (or DH0:MUI or Workbench:MUI), there are multiple terms for this map. I checked out the user-startup and it makes appearantly the proper assigns to MUI.

Also used Snoopdos to check what is going on, but STILL iGame does not load and Snoopdos says "Failed to load muimaster.library". I am using MUI 3.8.

What is going wrong here? MUI makes these entries in the user-startup itself so I suppose the assigns are correct. So why won't iGame not find muimaster.library? It's puzzling, and frustrating. I wish that there was a 'ready made' LHA file containing all the items required and that all of this, whdload + igame + mui + extra needed files could be installed in one go.

Suggestions anyone?

Old 13 July 2022, 20:34   #8
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
A month further, since I have been 3 weeks away to The Philippines, this problem still persists:

First I removed any MUI related files in maps where they should not be. Then I installed MUI again and make sure it got installed in SYS:MUI (or DH0:MUI or Workbench:MUI), there are multiple terms for this map. I checked out the user-startup and it makes appearantly the proper assigns to MUI.

Also used Snoopdos to check what is going on, but STILL iGame does not load and Snoopdos says "Failed to load muimaster.library". I am using MUI 3.8.

What is going wrong here? MUI makes these entries in the user-startup itself so I suppose the assigns are correct. So why won't iGame not find muimaster.library? It's puzzling, and frustrating. I wish that there was a 'ready made' LHA file containing all the items required and that all of this, whdload + igame + mui + extra needed files could be installed in one go.

Suggestions anyone?

Have you tried copying the Muimaster.library into sys:Libs ? As it’s still in sys:mui/Libs worth a try Bromigo!
Old 13 July 2022, 21:26   #9
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Have you tried copying the Muimaster.library into sys:Libs ? As it’s still in sys:mui/Libs worth a try Bromigo!
Copying the library from its proper location is treating the symptom, not the problem. If it works, bravo, but the original issue remains and it will likely cause problems if MUI ever needs to be updated or reinstalled. It's just papering over the cracks.

Besides, if you check the OP it says the library was in SYS:Libs to begin with, so that was already tried and didn't work (and was rightly noted to be the incorrect location).

Quote:
Yes, a full reinstallation is a good place to start. It looks correct, but you can check it with the Assign command without any arguments. This will list all the assigns active on the system. LIBS: should have multiple entries, including Workbench:MUI/Libs. This will tell you whether the user-startup portion of the installation is working.

Quote:
What is going wrong here? MUI makes these entries in the user-startup itself so I suppose the assigns are correct. So why won't iGame not find muimaster.library? It's puzzling, and frustrating.
It could be caused by a couple of things. One is a corrupted muimaster.library file, another is incorrect file permissions. Try List in the MUI:Libs directory to see the permissions of the file, which should be ----rwed. The version of muimaster.library I have is 166412 bytes and a datestamp of 12 Feb 1997.

The MUI drawer comes with a few demo and configuration programs that can be checked to rule out the issue being iGame-specific. Also, just to check: you have enough RAM available to load iGame and the required libraries?
Old 13 July 2022, 21:57   #10
Snowwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yes, a full reinstallation is a good place to start. It looks correct, but you can check it with the Assign command without any arguments. This will list all the assigns active on the system. LIBS: should have multiple entries, including Workbench:MUI/Libs. This will tell you whether the user-startup portion of the installation is working.
I have no doubt the User-Startup itself is working incorrectly since I have already put some assigns in there (ST-00 to DH1:Tools/Protracker and NoClick to stop floppy drives from clicking), so this file is executed. The Assign command is working because it does work on Protracker (in this case). Also the MUI installer puts the assigns itself there, so you would expect those are okay.
Quote:
It could be caused by a couple of things. One is a corrupted muimaster.library file, another is incorrect file permissions. Try List in the MUI:Libs directory to see the permissions of the file, which should be ----rwed. The version of muimaster.library I have is 166412 bytes and a datestamp of 12 Feb 1997.

The MUI drawer comes with a few demo and configuration programs that can be checked to rule out the issue being iGame-specific. Also, just to check: you have enough RAM available to load iGame and the required libraries?
Since the file is in the proper map and Snoopdos says iGame can't load it, it is possible the file might be corrupt or damaged. I checked my library and this file has the following properties: (information about that file):

Name: muimaster.library (tool) *
Last changed : Today

Size : 166,412 bytes (326 blocks)
Attributes (enabled) : Readable / Executable / Writable / Deletable
Attributes (not enabled) : Script / Archived

* So this raises some questions, why does the information option marque this library as a 'tool'? The Icon.library is marked as being a "Project".

I think I have to scroll back and look again to it's properties, there must be something with this file not right.

Oh and my A1200 has 2MB Chip and 8MB Fast ram. Normal wise enough for iGame and Whdload, right?

Last edited by Snowwie; 13 July 2022 at 22:07.
Old 13 July 2022, 22:24   #11
Daedalus

Quote:
I have no doubt the User-Startup itself is working since I have already put some assigns in there (ST-00 to DH1:Tools/Protracker and NoClick to stop floppy drives from clicking), so this file is executed. The Assign command is working because it does work on Protracker (in this case).
That's fine, but the check was for the whole lot working correctly, including the MUI-specific lines, not an individual component. It *should* work, but the only way to definitively say that it does work is to check that it has worked.

Quote:
Name: muimaster.library (tool) *
Last changed : Today

Size : 166,412 bytes (326 blocks)
Attributes (enabled) : Readable / Executable / Writable / Deletable
Attributes (not enabled) : Script / Archived
Welll, the permissions look ok anyway...

Quote:
* So this raises some questions, why does the information option marque this library as a 'tool'? The Icon.library is marked as being a "Project".
Yes, that's a good point - in 3.5+ (including 3.1.4) libraries are typically detected as a project, not a tool. This isn't always the case, but does seem to be true for muimaster.library. This suggests some sort of corruption of that file.

Quote:
Oh and my A1200 has 2MB Chip and 8MB Fast ram. Normal wise enough for iGame and Whdload, right?
Yep, that should be fine provided you still have 1MB+ of the fast RAM remaining free.
Old 14 July 2022, 00:46   #12
Aardvark

Quote:
IGame is slow and takes lot of RAM, especially with full WHDLoad games archive. For stock A1200+8mb, I would recommend lightweight frontend like AGS2 or WHDLoadMenu.
Old 14 July 2022, 07:10   #13
QuikSanz

More ram is good but not all installs work perfect with MUI, it's picky . I install it and use something like Dirwork or Diropus to check all locations and permissions, of course delete anything out of place, Reboot should be Cold!. 3 finger solute not always work. Install base, when good copy any .MCC file you can find in your mass of software to proper place and Cold reboot. All set, less some Mem