English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 June 2021, 03:54   #1
Matt_H

Shoot-'em-ups

Everyone seems to be calling these kinds of games "shmups" now, a further truncation of an already-truncated genre name.

Does anyone know when/where the linguistic trend of "shmup" started? It seems very recent but also very pervasive, almost completely displacing the old term. Maybe I'm just being grumpy and old but I vastly prefer "shoot-'em-up".
Old 20 June 2021, 03:59   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Shmups, the shortend term of Shoot'em ups, is much longer around than you think. Over 20 years. The shmups site is online since 1997. I've heard it before that, but don't know where exactly.

http://www.shmups.com/index.html
Old 20 June 2021, 04:13   #3
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Shmups, the shortend term of Shoot'em ups, is much longer around than you think. Over 20 years. The shmups site is online since 1997. I've heard it before that, but don't know where exactly.

http://www.shmups.com/index.html
Thanks for that reference. I did find some other evidence of the term in use long ago, but it seems like it's gone from rare to everywhere in a very short time. Even Shmups (the site) refers to the subject of its coverage as "shoot-em-up games". I wonder if internet culture began conflating the name of the site with its subject matter? Sort of like a genericized trademark...
Old 20 June 2021, 04:28   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Check page 114, in this July 1985 issue of Zzzap!64. So it wasn't an internet "invention".

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...ue-3-july-1985

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 June 2021 at 04:52.
Old 20 June 2021, 17:47   #5
Matt_H

Right. I’m not suggesting that the internet invented it, just that all of a sudden it went from being a rare term to the dominant one. Trying to pinpoint how that happened. e.g., I had never encountered it at all until 3 or 4 years ago. Has it been more prominent in Europe all along? I don’t ever recall seeing it in the US gaming press of the 90s through mid 2000s.

Perhaps I just live under a rock.

Last edited by Matt_H; 20 June 2021 at 22:57. Reason: Typo
Old 20 June 2021, 17:52   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No, i don't think many people ever heard it (except die hard genre fans i guess).

In Germany we called them "Ballerspiele".
Old 21 June 2021, 06:24   #7
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I have known the term "SHMUPS" since the early 2000s.
Old 21 June 2021, 08:36   #8
jayminer

I've known it for a long time, when I started to get really into "shmups" in the early 00:s I found more people on forums using it than the longer variant.
Old 21 June 2021, 09:09   #9
Konrad

I alrady know this term for a VERY long time, definitely since around 2000.
Although just in written form, not when talking about games. Then it was "Shoot-em-ups" or "Ballerspiele" .
Old 21 June 2021, 12:11   #10
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I vastly prefer "shoot-'em-up".
Preach, brother! Yes, I know that the world has moved on but I still doggedly use "shoot'em up" whenever possible.

I don't really mind these kind of semantic mutations in general, but some of them just irritate me to no end, for no particular reason. "Shmups" (ugh) is definitely one of them.
Old 21 June 2021, 12:39   #11
roondar

I remember hearing the term 'shmup' routinely when I still read Zzap!64 and Commodore Format. But no idea how or when it became dominant. I tend to use shoot-em-up myself.
Old 21 June 2021, 13:42   #12
acidbottle

I would never say out loud "SHMUP", would sound like I had just downed a pint of whisky. It is of course shoot-em-up.

For lazy typers and printed media, yea shmup is oki, but looks too weird for me. Never read Zzap so never got used to it being that way.
Old 21 June 2021, 15:00   #13
dreadnought

This guy gets it: "Sophstar - new vertical shoot'em up with a 90s arcade game vibe"
Old 21 June 2021, 15:13   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah well, if people are free to say "RPG" instead of "role playing game", then what's wrong with shmup. Who made the rule that it should be a by the books abbreviation eh?

I think I'll have a go at Streets of Rage 4 again, a bmup that I like a lot.
Old 21 June 2021, 15:24   #15
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Who made the rule that it should be a by the books abbreviation eh?

Nobody. Just some people saying they're not very fond of this word, is all.
Old 21 June 2021, 15:39   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well I thought that I setup my "bmup" joke quite well, but no take me seriously...
Old 21 June 2021, 15:45   #17
Matt_H

Quote:
Yeah well, if people are free to say "RPG" instead of "role playing game", then what's wrong with shmup. Who made the rule that it should be a by the books abbreviation eh?
I’m not trying to police the language, just trying to understand it. Something happened in the past few years—an article, a magazine, a particular game’s marketing or community, a YouTube personality, whatever—something caught on that caused the popularity of “shmup” to skyrocket over “shoot-‘em-up.” I’m curious as to what that was.

It’s interesting that you mention RPGs, because something similar has happened there, too. The term RPG has been around forever, predating the widespread adoption of home computers, probably. And then there’s the subgenre JRPG, for games in the linear, story-driven, Japanese style. The JRPG term has been around since at least the mid 90s but the press still generally referred to them as plain RPGs. Now, everything seems to be specifically a JRPG or a CRPG. The parent term, plain ol’ RPG, seems to be falling into disuse for computer/video games, in my non-scientific observations.

And if we were naming shoot-‘em-ups in the same fashion as RPGs, we’d call them SEUs.
We had SEUCK, but I guess the name didn’t really stick...

Quote:
I think I'll have a go at Streets of Rage 4 again, a bmup that I like a lot.
Bmups? Please, no!
(Ok, maybe I am trying to police the language a little bit )
Old 21 June 2021, 15:52   #18
Matt_H

Quote:
Well I thought that I setup my "bmup" joke quite well, but no take me seriously...
I appreciated your joke.
Old 21 June 2021, 16:02   #19
roondar

Quote:
I feel we need to go further. All this 'mup' stuff just takes time to type. So, I suggest we call it s for shoot em ups and b for beat em ups. It just makes sense
Old 21 June 2021, 16:30   #20
dreadnought

Quote:
Sorry. The internet made me jaded, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
It’s interesting that you mention RPGs, because something similar has happened there, too. The term RPG has been around forever, predating the widespread adoption of home computers, probably. And then there’s the subgenre JRPG, for games in the linear, story-driven, Japanese style. The JRPG term has been around since at least the mid 90s but the press still generally referred to them as plain RPGs. Now, everything seems to be specifically a JRPG or a CRPG. The parent term, plain ol’ RPG, seems to be falling into disuse for computer/video games, in my non-scientific observations.

I'm not sure about the press, at least pre-internet version (eg, Edge's FF7 review does not use "jRPG" but has plenty of "Japanese RPG-style" stuff) but in the forums world the JRPG/CRPG divide has been used since I can remember. The "real" ones are referred now as "tabletop" I think.

I think with terms which hail from pre-Facebook.Twitter/etc era the adoption was more due to gradual process than a singular event.