English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Amiga Magazine Rack > AMR contributions

Old 06 May 2021, 20:48   #1
Rissy

Amiga Computing Missing Magazine Disks

Same deal again as the Amiga Format magazine post I put up earlier. I have the following disks for the Amiga Computing Magazine if the keepers of the Magazine Rack are interested in filling currently empty spaces:

For all I have .adf and .scp captured files of these disks

Oct 1989
http://amr.abime.net/issue_550
Disk images are perfect

Dec 1989
http://amr.abime.net/issue_552
Disk images are perfect

Jan 1990
http://amr.abime.net/issue_532
Disk images have some faults but still works to the extend i've test the images, There's a music box item which is a bit nasty sounding in place, which is where i think the disk fault comes in.

Nov 1990
http://amr.abime.net/issue_470
Disk images are perfect

Same as the Amiga Format post. Let me know and i can make these available to you for the collection.
Old 07 May 2021, 00:42   #2
Dunny

Looks all those except for November 1990 are on the FTP, so you would be doing a kindness if you'd upload it there.
Old 07 May 2021, 09:25   #3
Rissy

Why is no one updating the magazine rack? I don't know anything about this FTP location you're talking of. Does that make it available on the magazine rack?

There's disks i was keen to get my hands on, but don't appear on the magazine rack. I'm now wondering if they are available from this FTP source you speak of....?
Old 07 May 2021, 11:24   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

The FTP is the source of so many things, but it is massive and it is only partly curated, so finding things can sometimes be difficult. I doubt there is any automated connection between it and the magazine rack. Definitely make yourself an account there though, it is great to rummage through to find things you are looking for.
Old 07 May 2021, 12:52   #5
Rissy

This is all great, but where is it? how does one join? i literally know nothing of this.
Old 07 May 2021, 14:00   #6
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Here you go. It is in the File Server category.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633
Old 07 May 2021, 14:34   #7
Rissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
ok thanks, i'll take a look. (It'd still be nice if the wider available "front end" magazine rack was fully populated for consistency)
Old 07 May 2021, 21:14   #8
Rissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Looks all those except for November 1990 are on the FTP, so you would be doing a kindness if you'd upload it there.
I just looked this up and it looks like it is there after all.

http://grandis.nu/eabsearch/search.p...=&httplinks=on

Although i'll admit im not really understanding what im looking at! I'm not used to FTP'ing. I'm sure im not alone. This is why i think the rack should be updated fully.
Old 07 May 2021, 21:16   #9
Rissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I just looked at this, and downloaded filezilla, and haven't a clue what im doing to get this to do whatever it is to do. Newbie FTP guy right here.
Old 08 May 2021, 00:11   #10
Dunny

In FileZilla:

Go to File Menu, "Site Manager". Click "New Site" and then name it, and populate it with the Host: grandis.nu. Logon type Normal, add your User/Pass if you have them (you should be eligible for a personal login). In the Transfer settings tab, set Maximum number of connections to 2.

Then just click Connect. FileZilla will remember your login. Then browse away on the right-hand pane. Any downloads will go to the left hand pane.

It's a treasure trove.
Old 08 May 2021, 09:48   #11
Rissy

Okay thanks. Got filezilla client running and accessing the ftp database ok now. Dodgy as though. It warns you of potential interceptions and attacks from outsiders through it! I didn't need to set up an account it seems. It seems to have simply accepted my login credentials for this site. Is that correct?

I tried installing the server version too, but it cluttered my laptop with stuff which i didnt ask for, or want, so that bugger got uninstalled and all its changes undone again. So without that, i cant upload. Sorry. (That looked even harder to set up!)

Last edited by Rissy; 08 May 2021 at 10:00.
Old 08 May 2021, 15:12   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
In FileZilla:

Go to File Menu, "Site Manager". Click "New Site" and then name it, and populate it with the Host: grandis.nu. Logon type Normal, add your User/Pass if you have them (you should be eligible for a personal login). In the Transfer settings tab, set Maximum number of connections to 2.

Then just click Connect. FileZilla will remember your login. Then browse away on the right-hand pane. Any downloads will go to the left hand pane.

It's a treasure trove.
Slight correction; set Maximum number of connections to 1 and not 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
Okay thanks. Got filezilla client running and accessing the ftp database ok now. Dodgy as though. It warns you of potential interceptions and attacks from outsiders through it! I didn't need to set up an account it seems. It seems to have simply accepted my login credentials for this site. Is that correct?
You'll definitely need to setup an account.

You may at the moment be using a anonymous one that has restrictions i.e. only 50k download speed and only 20 anonymous accounts at once.

To setup an account read here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=780

Quote:
I tried installing the server version too, but it cluttered my laptop with stuff which i didnt ask for, or want, so that bugger got uninstalled and all its changes undone again. So without that, i cant upload. Sorry. (That looked even harder to set up!)
Filezilla will get updated every so often so will download a new installation file. You just run this and all ok.

Never seen it cluttering my laptop with rubbish. After installation you just delete the update file.

As for uploading on the "Amiga File Server", it's very simple. Once you create an account you have a directory under ~Uploads e.g. ftp://grandis.nu/~Uploads/DamienD/

You just upload any stuff to your home directory.

Last edited by DamienD; 08 May 2021 at 15:20.
Old 08 May 2021, 19:53   #13
Rissy

okay, ive added a proper login now. I'll have to feel brave to have another shot at the FTP server program though.
Old 09 May 2021, 09:24   #14
BountyHunter

Hey Rissy

I’ve got a lot of Amiga Computing cover disks here in my collection, at least I should have as I purchased the magazine every month for a few years, I’ve probably still got most of the original magazines although I’m not sure exactly what I have as they’re in my fathers loft.

If you need a hand with fills let me know and I’ll see what I can find.
Old 09 May 2021, 10:05   #15
Rissy

That very nice of you, thanks. It'd be nice to get them all populated on the magazine rack for imortalities sake for everyone to enjoy before any survivors become unreadable and lost forever.
Old 09 May 2021, 11:56   #16
Rissy

Right, i've reinstalled the FileZilla server program.

I dont know all the details/answers im suppposed to give for setting this thing up. I need help.

When i start it up, a window appears saying "Enter server to administrate"

What is this?

Host: localhost
Port: (this is the default port number it suggested during installation. I don't know if im suppposed to keep that private or not, so i'll keep that off here.
Password: What password? Invent one? For what purpose is this password?

When i log on to the above, i get a message in RED saying:

"You appear to be behind a NAT router. Please configure the passive mode settings and forward a range of ports in your router.
Warning: FTP over TLS is not enabled, users cannot securely log in."

In english please...!

I get a similar message to that when i log into the client too. See attached.

Can i fix this somehow? I don't want to my security to be compromised every time i look at the FTP site!

Back to the server program now. I guess i have to configure settings under edit....? I need a guide of what to set please.

Sorry, i'm really not up on FTP. I used it for work years and years (12yrs?) ago, but that came preconfigured and i only had to interact with it in a basic sense, never set it up etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FileZilla_Client.png
Views:	187
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	71851  
Old 09 May 2021, 12:03   #17
Rissy

Can i not just put stuff in my user folder on the FTP site using the client program rather than needing the server program to do this?

Where is my user folder (i created an account yesterday)? It looks to me that the client program is something looking like what i used for work years ago, and in that case, i could upload stuff from the other side of the world. Surely this works the same way....?

Highlight local folder content on the left and drag it to the right (FTP site) or something?
Old 09 May 2021, 19:01   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Right, i've reinstalled the FileZilla server program.

I dont know all the details/answers im suppposed to give for setting this thing up. I need help.

When i start it up, a window appears saying "Enter server to administrate"

What is this?

Host: localhost
Port: (this is the default port number it suggested during installation. I don't know if im suppposed to keep that private or not, so i'll keep that off here.
Password: What password? Invent one? For what purpose is this password?

When i log on to the above, i get a message in RED saying:

"You appear to be behind a NAT router. Please configure the passive mode settings and forward a range of ports in your router.
Warning: FTP over TLS is not enabled, users cannot securely log in."

In english please...!

I get a similar message to that when i log into the client too. See attached.

Can i fix this somehow? I don't want to my security to be compromised every time i look at the FTP site!

Back to the server program now. I guess i have to configure settings under edit....? I need a guide of what to set please.

Sorry, i'm really not up on FTP. I used it for work years and years (12yrs?) ago, but that came preconfigured and i only had to interact with it in a basic sense, never set it up etc.
Ok, step-by-step instructions for setting up FileZilla for use with the Amiga File Server
  • Start FileZilla.
  • Click the first button in the row of buttons i.e "Open the Site Manager".
  • Click "New Site" and fill in all pages like follows, note that I still have this called the old name "EAB File Server" so you can change that to "Amiga File Server". Also obviously use your FTP username / password that you created:

Afterwards select "Edit" --> "Settings..." --> "Transfers" --> "FTP: File Types", untick "Treat files without extension as ASCII file" and click OK:
Quote:
Can i not just put stuff in my user folder on the FTP site using the client program rather than needing the server program to do this?

Where is my user folder (i created an account yesterday)? It looks to me that the client program is something looking like what i used for work years ago, and in that case, i could upload stuff from the other side of the world. Surely this works the same way....?

Highlight local folder content on the left and drag it to the right (FTP site) or something?
Server program? What did you install, you should just use / install the Filezilla client: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

You will have a directory under ~Uploads.
Old 09 May 2021, 20:54   #19
Rissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Ok, step-by-step instructions for setting up FileZilla for use with the Amiga File Server
  • Start FileZilla.
  • Click the first button in the row of buttons i.e "Open the Site Manager".
  • Click "New Site" and fill in all pages like follows, note that I still have this called the old name "EAB File Server" so you can change that to "Amiga File Server". Also obviously use your FTP username / password that you created:

Afterwards select "Edit" --> "Settings..." --> "Transfers" --> "FTP: File Types", untick "Treat files without extension as ASCII file" and click OK:
Server program? What did you install, you should just use / install the Filezilla client: https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

You will have a directory under ~Uploads.
Yes. I installed both the Client AND the server software! I guess the server software is for hosting content, but you obviously dont need it to just move files back and forth since you can do that using the client tool on its own.....is now my understanding.

I looked in the ~Uploads section, and i even saw YOUR folder "DamienD", but "Rissy" is nowhere to be found in that location. Unless there is some lag in it appearing after first signing up for an account....?!
Old 10 May 2021, 00:04   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I looked in the ~Uploads section, and i even saw YOUR folder "DamienD", but "Rissy" is nowhere to be found in that location. Unless there is some lag in it appearing after first signing up for an account....?!
It's been a while so don't remember; maybe you have to create yourself. All information would be in the Amiga File Server thread.

Anyway, as I'm still an FTP Admin, I've now created this for you and set the correct permissions

Please test and let me know if you have any issues.