English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 07 July 2007, 19:35   #1
RCK
Administrator

Cool EAB updated ! (July 2007)

Welcome to this new release of EAB !

I have upgraded our English Amiga Board with the latest vBulletin engine, so a bunch of new features are now available
You will find the descriptions of the more importants change into the next post. (copy / pasted from the vB website)

What else ?
  • Trash forum have been removed (now global moderators can see and manage deleted posts in one single admin page).
  • Off Topic posts have been moved into a new area with multiple sub-forums.
  • The "Off Topic Area" content won't show up when you will request the "Show Unread Posts" listing. (you will have to browse the section if your are interested)
  • A new mobile skin have been installed, it will be automatically displayed with mobile devices.

I hope you will enjoy this new release !
Best regards
Old 07 July 2007, 19:58   #2
RCK
Administrator

Multi-Quote
The much-requested multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post. Once the user clicks the reply button, each tagged post is quoted.

To increase usability, by default, only posts within the current thread are automatically quoted. If you wish to quote posts in other threads with multi-quote, you simply need to click a link on the reply page, and the text of those posts will be added without a reload.

Mark Forums Read with AJAX
If you wish to mark a forum read, you can simply click its status icon on the index page and the change will be processed without a reload. You can even mark individual sub-forums as read in the same way.

Private Message Preview in Notification Emails
If you have elected to receive emails when receiving a new private message, the email will now contain more than just the name of the user who sent you the message. The title and body of the message will be included. Any BB codes in the message will automatically be converted to an equivalent plaintext version using the new plaintext bbcode parser.

Unique Unsubscribe Link in Emails
Thread and forum subscription emails now include a link for unsubscribing that is unique to each user. When using this link, unsubscribing from a thread or forum no longer requires logging in.

Infraction System
The infraction system allows you and your moderators to flexibly reprimand problem users. Create as many types of infractions as you want to represent any type of rules violation on your board. Each infraction has a controllable weight (points) and an option to allow it to be applied only as a warning, which alerts the user to their violation but doesn’t give them any points. Additionally, the points given to a user for a violation can be automatically removed after a specified amount of time via the Scheduled Tasks system.
The points are used to remove permissions from users that reach specific thresholds. To be more flexible, the existing user group permission system is used. You can see in the screenshot that “Registered Users” who have more than 15 points will have permissions from the “Infractions – Moderate All Posts” group applied, and any user with more than 30 points will get permissions from the “Infractions – Banned” group.

When an administrator or moderator wishes to apply an infraction to a user, he or she clicks the infraction icon on a post, and is presented with a choice of infractions and an option to send a private message to the user with more information. It is not a problem if a user has disabled private messages but that is a feature for another day. If private messages are disabled globally and email is available, an email will be sent to the user instead.

A user may also be given an infraction from their profile. The profile is also where a user's infraction history can be seen. Active infractions may also be reversed by users with appropriate permissions.

Default Thread Sorting Option per Forum
You may now choose how threads will be sorted on a per forum basis. Options include the field and direction to sort using.

Improved Proxy Support in Session Handling
In previous versions of vBulletin, you needed to keep the same IP address from page-to-page in order to maintain a session. While this is very good for security, it causes significant problems for users behind a proxy, such as AOL users. vBulletin 3.6 provides an option that allows you to control how much of the IP address must match for a previous session to be maintained. This should help eliminate many of the problems users have with staying logged in.

More AJAX Username Auto-Completion
Username auto-completion via AJAX is now performed when editing the buddy/ignore lists, searching the member list, and entering a referrer during registration.

Show Threads or Posts from Quick Search Popup
You can now choose to show search results as threads or posts without having to click through to the advanced search page.

Improved Image Verification (Captcha)
The image verification system can now be customized extensively by the board administrator. Options allow you to control the difficulty of the image by allowing you to select whether each letter can have its own font, font size, slant, and color.

Pop Up List of Attachments in a Thread
The paperclip icon that denotes whether a thread contains attachments is now clickable. It will pop up a window that shows a list of all the attachments in the specified thread, including file size and number of views.

Private Messages: Quota Warning
Once you have reached 90% of your private message quota, you will receive a warning telling you that you have almost reached your quota.

Private Messages: Admin Quota Override
Administrators send private messages to users whose inboxes are full.

Central Area to View Deleted Posts and Posts Awaiting Moderation
Administrators and moderators can now quickly view any posts that have been deleted or are awaiting moderation via a new section in the User Control Panel. In previous versions, this information was impossible to obtain in one area; deleted posts could only be found if you knew the thread you were looking for. This area can serve as a type of “recycling bin”.

Full BCC Support in Private Messages
A number of you have discovered this by now. Like in an email, BCC (blind carbon-copy) allows you to hide the full list of recipients from each recipient. In previous versions of vBulletin, the “to” field acted like a BCC field. Now, the “to” field acts like the field in an email; each recipient will see all the names in the “to” field.

Announcements Shown when Viewing New Posts
In previous versions of vBulletin, announcements were only shown when a user viewed a list of threads in a forum. As some users only viewed new posts by clicking the “New Posts” link (ie, getnew), they never saw the announcements. vBulletin 3.6 displays those announcements at the top of the results.

Automatically Remove Thread Redirects
You may now optionally have thread redirects messages removed after a specified amount of time.

New mobile skin
More adapted to small screen, usefull selectbox menu added.
Old 07 July 2007, 20:46   #3
keropi

the above pic says all.
Old 07 July 2007, 20:49   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

I like the look of the infraction system. Will make it easier and fairer to moderate once setup properly

Multi-quoting also looks good as do a couple other features
Old 07 July 2007, 20:52   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

Cool

Damn I lost some post on my postcounter
Old 07 July 2007, 20:53   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Pro work RCK!
Thanks!
Old 07 July 2007, 20:55   #7
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Automatic image resizing at least solves the inline-image problem for broadband users.

What's gonna be the limit?
Old 07 July 2007, 21:00   #8
BinoX
Miggy Man

I like it ;

Especially the new mobile skin
Old 07 July 2007, 22:06   #9
Marcuz

thanks for the continuous great work on EAB RCK
Old 07 July 2007, 22:09   #10
Marcuz

a question: should all moderators (as it is currently) be able to give infraction to users clicking on posts outside their own competency forum?
Old 07 July 2007, 22:16   #11
Ironclaw
Banned

First thing I noticed was the "Your PM box is 99% full."

Oh no!!.. all the pictures above has those nasty, ugly, dithered, unfocused fonts!.... worse than scanlines!... arghh!.... have to take an aspirin and go to bed...

Nighty
Old 07 July 2007, 22:22   #12
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
a question: should all moderators (as it is currently) be able to give infraction to users clicking on posts outside their own competency forum?
click the red/yellow cards below usersname..

if it's not there then you can't
Old 07 July 2007, 23:02   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nice updates, RCK. But how can i deactivate this annoying message in "Today's Posts"?

Old 07 July 2007, 23:32   #14
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
Automatic image resizing at least solves the inline-image problem for broadband users.

What's gonna be the limit?
Fixed to 800x600 at the moment, but remind if will only work with uploaded picture, I can't control external image linked with [img] tag.
Old 07 July 2007, 23:35   #15
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
It's a good question, maybe we should restrict the infraction system to global mods only. Infractions are being made over Members and no over Posts, so I could not restrict this to competency forum.
Old 07 July 2007, 23:35   #16
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Fixed to 800x600 at the moment, but remind if will only work with uploaded picture, I can't control external image linked with [img] tag.
Oh it only scales down uploaded pictures? I would've hoped it would add height/width attributes to external pictures as well. Uploaded pictures are shown as thumbnails anyhow when they're bigger than... 100x100 pixels I think?
Old 07 July 2007, 23:37   #17
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Nice updates, RCK. But how can i deactivate this annoying message in "Today's Posts"?

Which message ? "The thread below have not been updated..."
I was already there, it let you know what thread you did not read last time you connect.
Old 07 July 2007, 23:41   #18
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
I was already there, it let you know what thread you did not read last time you connect.
Yeah and it's actually quite useful. It makes sure that threads I intentionally ignore (for the time being) are gone from the top soon, but I can still find them later.
Old 07 July 2007, 23:41   #19
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
Oh it only scales down uploaded pictures? I would've hoped it would add height/width attributes to external pictures as well. Uploaded pictures are shown as thumbnails anyhow when they're bigger than... 100x100 pixels I think?
Yes you're right, thumbs are displayed first, but what's new is that images > 800x600 will be resize before being saved into EAB.
For external picture I can look how to add <height> and <width>, but the problem will be the same for 56k users, they will have to download the same picture size.
Old 07 July 2007, 23:41   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Really? Never seen this before. And i mostly use "Today's Posts".