English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 April 2004, 19:11   #1
tin

official - CD32 better than dreamcast

Me CD32 and DC have been on for a couple of days testing a new CCTV DVR i got.

2 days on the CD32s still chucking out anims and stuff, the DC has given up - the fans bizzing like it's innards are on fire and it won't read any discs. Looking back at some of the recording it looks like it rebooted about 4 million times as well.

Shite. Long live the CD32!!!!! (commodore would be proud if they weren't run by dickheads)
Old 09 April 2004, 09:11   #2
th4t1guy

I have both a cd32 and a Dreamcast as well, and they are my favorite consoles. Both have their pros and cons though. The thing I absolutely love about the cd32 is the fact that you can run Workbench on it (let's face it, DC linux sucks). However, the big problem I have with the cd32 is the controllers (as well as the NTSC - PAL compatibility issues). The standard Commodore one is complete shit, and I've yet to shell out the cash for a couple competition pros.

Speaking of, has anyone ever bought the cd32 pads that are being sold by Lik-Sang? Are they any good? I've been ripped off once already trying to buy a cd32 pad, so I'm a bit skeptical.
Old 09 April 2004, 10:19   #3
tin

Yeah I bought 4 and they took a little longer than play-asia takes to get the stuff over here, but they did arrive and in good nick.

They are the competition pro ones and are excellent value at something like £4 - it's the postage thats the killer. And I am not sure about import tax - i think it depends on if customs decide to pick you this time round to sting you for it!!!

I might get some more soon for spares cos i've given all the others away to my mates (why does everyone only ever have 1 pad for their 32? )
Old 09 April 2004, 14:57   #4
th4t1guy

That's good to hear. I bought the cd32 pad from amigagames.co.uk, and they sent me a Sega controller. I couldn't really do anything about it cause of the fine print they have on their website.
Old 09 April 2004, 20:25   #5
tin

Hmmm. yeah i see what you mean. AFAIK there are only a genuine commodore CD32 pad and the competition pro ones that look *exactly* like the one you see on lik-sang available for the amiga CD32. I dont *think* that there are any other types at all (obviously as you found a megadrive one will work but the buttons arent all there). The one on amigagames.co.uk looks like neither (looks like it might be a snes one? dunno) so I suppose they got you by the short and curlies but it's not good customer relations!

Also AFAIK amigagames.co.uk is that vincent pike fella isn't it? Not a good person to be dealing with IMHO! (please correct me if I am wrong!)
Old 09 April 2004, 21:42   #6
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

ya not wrong! amigagames.co.uk are never getting any of my god damn money again!
Old 16 April 2004, 06:42   #7
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

My current electronics project...
I bought a cheap SNES stick ('Score Master' stick, Aus$7 secondhand, best price I've seen until now was $15-20) and am going to build the encoder circuit for CD32 (plans from Aminet).
So for under Au$20 (maybe under $15?), I will have a CD32 stick!
Old 16 April 2004, 21:43   #8
tin

I got the same project!!!

I got a cheap gamecube arcade stick (tenner) and am just going to butcher me knackered old C= CD32 pad and wire it into the microswitches (cheapo bastard alert)

Should have a nice CD32 arcade stick for 10 notes!