English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 October 2011, 14:05   #1
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

How long without Amiga?

Just curious about this but how long could you last without using the Amiga or visiting an Amiga related website? I have to say the longest I managed was about 3 months, I was however in another county staying with family so it was pretty difficult...but when I returned it was like seeing your oldest best friend.
Old 18 October 2011, 01:04   #2
source
Zone Friend

For using an amiga, I unfortunately have gon months. An amigaweb site I am usually on one every few hours.
Old 18 October 2011, 13:07   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

How long could I last? Years - I'm not the fanatic that some people here are But I enjoy visiting EAB and remembering the golden oldies, so I stick around
Old 18 October 2011, 13:53   #4
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
How long could I last? Years - I'm not the fanatic that some people here are But I enjoy visiting EAB and remembering the golden oldies, so I stick around
Yeah thats proberly the best way to be...I think the C64 may be the gateway drug to Amigaism...I did go through a phase in my early 20`s where I was more into the the consoles of the day, but later on with the birth of the internet and thanks to the Amiga fan and community sites I`ve had a renewed interest.
Old 18 October 2011, 15:37   #5
zipper

Max 7 days - when on holiday abroad. But normally I visit Amiga sites daily; starting an Amiga is a different thing as my 4000 tower seems pretty dead and A500 tower starts until after much tinkering and has no web connection atm.
Old 23 October 2011, 16:55   #6
danwood

i bought the cheapest laptop in the shop about 4 years ago!

Before then i was using my amiga 1200 every single day and it still works now !

I look at amiga websites every week, but i tend to use my laptop for gaming now!
Old 23 October 2011, 18:03   #7
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
same here, i like to fire up some games via the old emulator at weekends though for a quick blast. I'm more into collecting game boxes/CD's these days as opposed to real hardware... I have a 500 in storage at the mo but it's a pain to drag out and connect up (no room for it to be setup all the time )
Old 27 October 2011, 10:12   #8
Decker

Longest I managed was 14 years it seems.

After that, returning to Amiga was so nostalgic. And building a new system was an overwhelming fantasyland experience.
Old 27 October 2011, 12:02   #9
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

i was away from mine about 10 years i put them in storage but worked first time when refound them
Old 27 October 2011, 12:52   #10
Cammy

I don't know if I could go longer than a few hours without using my Amiga, it's hard enough staying asleep all night, resisting the urge to get up and play some games or do some coding on her.
Old 27 October 2011, 13:02   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I don't know if I could go longer than a few hours without using my Amiga, it's hard enough staying asleep all night, resisting the urge to get up and play some games or do some coding on her.
lol, now that is hardcore.

I left around 95, then saw early version for WinUAE, used that for about 3 to 4 years. I then found my A600, then lost it again. I then found my CD32, then started back into it.
Got an A1200, then a new A600, then CDTV.
Im currently borrowing an Micro A1, more to play around with at the moment.

Dont think I can go a day without mentioning the words "amiga" atleast a few hundred times, lol.
Old 27 October 2011, 13:30   #12
MarkONE

Send a message via ICQ to MarkONE
Difficult, I probably left the "Amiga" in 2000 / 2001, don't know. But I always wanted again a modern Amiga System and used UAE to "stay in touch" but I have to say an emulation feels not the same. Tried recently MorpOS... nice system, but I'm stock with Aros for the time being. I have to say, I manage to be without an Amiga system over the summer, but when the winter starts I’m back in love with the Amiga and specially the games. So overall I would say 3 to 4 month, with one interruption for some years between 2000/2001 to 2009/2010, saying that, I always tried to read all Amiga channels to see what’s going on… so probably never left the Amiga market really
Old 27 October 2011, 18:49   #13
Tiago

i left the Amiga world (real Amigas) in 1996 i think, and came back in 2006 ...
Old 28 October 2011, 00:24   #14
Graham Humphrey

I've always had an Amiga of some description set up around here since I was five (so almost twenty years ago). So I've never been without one for the vast majority of my life, even if I don't use it every day. And it's hard to find the time, what with real life usually getting in the way. I don't do as much creatively as I'd like to so I guess I should do something about that...

I also suppose that means there isn't a lot of nostalgia in it for me. I've played so many games so many times over the years it's hard to have fond memories because I tend to load them up for another go
Old 28 October 2011, 00:34   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I power an Amiga on at least once a day, usually dozens of times when I'm fiddling with a project

The only time I don't use them is when I'm away travelling but now I have my Netbook with WinUAE setup I might just be able to get quick fix on the move

@FOL

How are you finding the uA1? I really like mine although I can't get online since update 3
Old 31 October 2011, 00:36   #16
CritAnime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I know how you feel. I might not have the hardcore setups that you have but I have to have atleast the 600 on once a day. Usually to play Pinball Fantasies
Old 31 October 2011, 22:44   #17
leathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
..I think the C64 may be the gateway drug to Amigaism...
The C64 was definitely the gateway for me - I bought one wanting an Amiga and Turrican looked amazing on both. A few summers later I got the Amiga at last, sadly it was already on the 'wane' (if only I knew!) I used it well into the dawning age of the PC, programming in AMOS until it died
Over 10 years later and I'm setting up an Amiga beyond what I thought possible, I'm on it often and starting ASM is a (strange) dream come true. It all came flooding back wanting to show my girlfriend Lemmings as an alternative to all those solitaire games! (And I confess, wanting to play Amiga Turrican)- UAE was okay but felt sluggish and is shoddy on her laptop, it just made me want a real Amiga. I just went on Ebay hoping there was one somewhere - of course, there were loads

Not everyone knows there's still such an active scene, and if they do they might not have the time (at the moment I'm making it!). I was thinking today that it's like all those Hornby trainsets our grandparents were into, maybe you just never grow out of it?

Last edited by prowler; 31 October 2011 at 22:57. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 01 November 2011, 00:52   #18
CritAnime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lielo View Post
Not everyone knows there's still such an active scene, and if they do they might not have the time (at the moment I'm making it!). I was thinking today that it's like all those Hornby trainsets our grandparents were into, maybe you just never grow out of it?
Nah you will never grow out of it. I know I never will because it is in my blood too much now

I would agree that most people probably wont know that there is still such an active scene with regards to not just Amiga but other systems. Most will just assume that there is only emulation and that it ends at that. I try to show my friends that there is still a lot of joy and love left in the Amiga computers.

As for the C64 computers...

I think most people will have started with some kind of 8-bit machine. I know my parents bought their first C64 just a few months before I was born in 82. So I was raised on the old girl and spent many a night learning about computing.
Old 01 November 2011, 12:58   #19
ancalimon
Supernormal

I passed two month without remembering to use any kind of Amiga environment. I got sick without knowing why. Then I remembered that I forgot to install WinUAE after a fresh Windows install and decided to buy an Amiga1200 in case I do this mistake again in the future. Still waiting for my A4000T to get fixed. I (seriously) slept together for a full day with her when I first got the Amiga4000T and I could not sleep at all when my old A1200 blew up. (my dad bought the A4000T in one week in 1999. He saw the advert in a newspaper (!?) and gave me the money to buy the A4000T)

Last edited by ancalimon; 01 November 2011 at 13:03.
Old 06 November 2011, 20:52   #20
paul2010

I estimate that my A500 sat in its box on top of my wardbrobe for 10 years from 1995-2005.

I had an old, boxy 14" TV then and thought it was impossible to connect it up to the TV without the modulator, which I'd lost.

Also, with life changes, the Amiga just lost my attention and went to the back of my mind.