English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 March 2009, 19:55   #1
paranoid
Phone Zen

Main Source BBS

Been waiting through the archives of this BBS. I tried to make a filelist by extracting file_id.dizes but most/all the .dms files don't have one. The IBM archives do, as well as the text files (for the most part) so it almost seems that they were stripped. A shame, but anyway..

So what I did was to convert all the .dms files to .adf then ran them against tosec to pull out everything that's already out there. What was left was almost 1000 disks. What I've managed so far is below. If anyone wants something in particular I'll Zone it. Note: My tosec-fu isn't totally up to par, but it's a best attempt. I also know it's been awhile, and this isn't an attempt to say this stuff is zomg found rarities, but more what is in the archive.. If someone wants a list of what's in the archive that is already in tosec, I could make one.

The [a] folder are total alternates and not of great interest -- however, they are in their (potentially) initial .dms format. I'd say that's quite close to the initial disk, as opposed to an [a] with someone's high scores, or garbage data that was never written over and, at least in theory, perhaps a way to ditch so many of the [a]s that plague Amiga tosec (imho). (Conceeded, however, it's not 100%, and there rarely can be, so it may all be moot.)
Code:
\Main Source\Apps\3D Professional v1.20 Final (1992)(Cryogenic Software)(Disk 1 of 3)[WB].zip
\Main Source\Apps\3D Professional v1.20 Final (1992)(Cryogenic Software)(Disk 2 of 3)[WB].zip
\Main Source\Apps\3D Professional v1.20 Final (1992)(Cryogenic Software)(Disk 3 of 3)[WB].zip
\Main Source\Apps\Arrested Dialer Workshop v0.3 (1994)(Sure).zip
\Main Source\Apps\Red Sector Demo-Maker - Vectorballs Editor v1.0(1991)(Data Becker)[h Sensics].zip
\Main Source\Apps\Studio Light HP Drivers [spread Delight].zip
\Main Source\Coverdisks\Amiga Format #63 (1994-08-25)(Future Publishing)(GB)(Disk 2 of 2)[Sep 1994].zip
\Main Source\Demos\7th Sense (1991)(End of Century 1999).zip
\Main Source\Demos\Music\Addonic Golden Music 1 (19xx)(Addonic).zip
\Main Source\Demos\Non-ADF\CeBIT '92 Invite (1992)(Treacl).exe
\Main Source\Demos\Non-ADF\Made In Japan (19xx)(Darkness).lha
\Main Source\Demos\Non-ADF\Memtro (19xx)(Reality).exe
\Main Source\Demos\Slideshows\Playboy (1992 May)(Tardsoft)(Disk 1 of 2).zip
\Main Source\Demos\Slideshows\Playboy (1992 May)(Tardsoft)(Disk 2 of 2).zip
\Main Source\Demos\Slideshows\Playboy (1992 September)(Tardsoft)(Disk 1 of 2).zip
\Main Source\Demos\Slideshows\Playboy (1992 September)(Tardsoft)(Disk 2 of 2).zip
\Main Source\Games\3D Construction Kit US Version (1991)(Domark)(M4)[cr Skid Row][construction kit].zip
\Main Source\Games\3D World Soccer (1992)(Simulmondo)(M4)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr CDI][h AAB].zip
\Main Source\Games\3D World Soccer (1992)(Simulmondo)(M4)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr CDI][h AAB][b].zip
\Main Source\Games\Budesliga Manager Hattrick (1994)(Software 2000)(De)(AGA)(Disk 1 of 3)[cr AFL].zip
\Main Source\Games\HD Installs\Liverpool (HD)[cr SKR].lha
\Main Source\Games\HD Installs\Pinball Dreams & Fantasies (HD)[h Joerg Riemer].lha
\Main Source\Games\HD Installs\Pinball Fantasies (Disk 1 of 2)(HD)[h Triangle].lha
\Main Source\Games\HD Installs\Pinball Fantasies (Disk 2 of 2)(HD)[h Triangle].lha
\Main Source\Games\HD Installs\Redzone (HD)[cr SKR].lha
\Main Source\Games\HD Installs\SimCity Utilities (PD).lzh
\Main Source\[a]\Apps\Demo Maniac v1.17(1994)(Black Legend)(Disk 1 of 2)[a].zip
\Main Source\[a]\Apps\Scala500 v1.0 (1992)(Digital Vision)(Disk 1 of 3)[cr WOW][a].zip
\Main Source\[a]\Apps\Scala500 v1.0 (1992)(Digital Vision)(Disk 2 of 3)(Symbols1)[cr WOW][a].zip
\Main Source\[a]\Apps\Scala500 v1.0 (1992)(Digital Vision)(Disk 3 of 3)(Symbols2)[cr WOW][a].zip
\Main Source\[a]\Demos\3d Demo 1 (1992)(Anarchy)(Disk 1 of 2)[a].zip
\Main Source\[a]\Demos\3d Demo 1 (1992)(Anarchy)(Disk 2 of 2)[a].zip
\Main Source\[a]\Games\After Burner (1988)(Activision)[cr QTX][a5].zip
\Main Source\[a]\Games\Three Stooges, The (1987)(Cinemaware(Disk 1 of 2)[a3].zip
\Main Source\[b]\1869AGAA.DMS
\Main Source\[b]\1869AGAB.DMS
\Main Source\[b]\1869AGAD.DMS
I'll keep updating if there's interest.

Oh, like h(acked) and cr(acked) is there something for a group that just basically spread something? Or just use cr for that? And if this isn't quite in the right spot, please move it accordingly.
Old 24 March 2009, 20:59   #2
paranoid
Phone Zen

Oh and much thanks to GabrielTSS! for uploading the CDs in the first place. I LOVE old BBS archives, though they're few and far between.
Old 25 March 2009, 18:17   #3
hit

thats some good thing. would like to have a dat file of the full content, incl. those not yet recognized.
not sure about the naming convention, but such dat at all, would be cool
Old 25 March 2009, 18:58   #4
demoniac

To me, BBS archives are more likely to be original, unmodified files that were distributed by the groups than the floppy made ADFs. Plus, there's more likely to be trainer and fix patches to be found in those collections as well.
Old 25 March 2009, 21:04   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
could this bbs files be upped ?
Old 25 March 2009, 21:20   #6
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
could this bbs files be upped ?
they are on magix site: /BBS/MAINSOURCE
Old 26 March 2009, 07:42   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
cool i check that !
Old 26 March 2009, 18:49   #8
paranoid
Phone Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
thats some good thing. would like to have a dat file of the full content, incl. those not yet recognized.
not sure about the naming convention, but such dat at all, would be cool
I'm not sure I understand the purpose.

Filelists are available in the same dir as the archives, the trouble though, and the reason I'm doing this, is because filenames like AFL_BMH1.DMS don't explain much.

I think I wasn't clear for those not familiar with the archives..

I'm taking AFL_BMH1.DMS from the archive, checking that it isn't already in tosec, then taking my best stab at naming it as "Budesliga Manager Hattrick (1994)(Software 2000)(De)(AGA)(Disk 1 of 3)[cr AFL]" and even if that isn't quite up to tosec-par, it's not bad, and eventually, should I ever finish, the filelist of Main Source will be: what can be taken from tosec, plus the list I'm attempting.

I'm zipping up the original .dms to retain the filename, plus the .dms which ought to be pretty original, with the name of the zip the long tosec one. (i.e. "Budesliga Manager Hattrick (1994)(Software 2000)(De)(AGA)(Disk 1 of 3)[cr AFL].zip" contains AFL_BMH1.DMS)
Old 27 March 2009, 09:38   #9
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
That is really amazing that they managed to archive all of that. I archived my BBS in 1995 and just put it back online last fall, minus all of the .DMS files unfortunately. I restored the files from ami-back floppies, 24 of them with only a couple of errors.

telnet: spatulacity.servebbs.org
Old 27 March 2009, 18:03   #10
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
I'm not sure I understand the purpose.

Filelists are available in the same dir as the archives, the trouble though, and the reason I'm doing this, is because filenames like AFL_BMH1.DMS don't explain much.
yeah, filelist like these:
Code:
discov_1.dms
discov_2.dms
doobug.dms
d&r_sils.dms
drwho.dms
d-space.dms
dtc-ava2.dms
but what is "doobug.dms"? i wont rename them, but would like to have a list, dat or whatever, to identify them easily. like its done in the BSA_DVD.txt (also on magix):
Code:
    00027   Wizball +2                              NFO   DOC
    00028   Continental Circus +6                   NFO
    00029   Astaroth +3
    00030   Afterburner +3                          NFO
Old 27 March 2009, 18:45   #11
paranoid
Phone Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
but what is "doobug.dms"? i wont rename them, but would like to have a list, dat or whatever, to identify them easily. like its done in the BSA_DVD.txt (also on magix):
That is just what I'm trying to build. It's slow going, but kind of fun if anyone wants to help.
Old 16 January 2010, 17:19   #12
GabrielTSS!

Sorry this reply is so late. I have been off on other things. I'm sorry there were not files.bbs file and such with these archives. I got these originally on several 250 meg streaming tapes with the original tape drive from King Of Zombies who ran Main Source. I pulled all the files off as you see them and burned them to 2 gig DAT tape. Then when the Amiga was able to burn CD's I pulled the files off of DAT and burned them to CD. SO what was uploaded was the raw files I got on the DAT tapes. I hope you all have found some "treausures" in these files.

Old 16 January 2010, 19:44   #13
hit

the missing index is just a very small issue. i'm glad you have preserved and provided the content of this bbs. its fun anyway, digging around a bit. back in the days i didnt even had a modem, so things were (almost) out of reach :/ thnx GabrielTTS!
Old 31 December 2010, 00:10   #14
thekoz

You can see what doobug.dms was here
http://www.fairlight.0catch.com/fltlist.html

Main Source rocked!

Old 15 January 2011, 16:53   #15
GabrielTSS!

Hey Koz

Hey Koz, Long time! Glad to see your still around. Sure miss Main Source - those were the days!

Old 13 August 2014, 16:30   #16
King of Zombies

I dont have my old login, not sure if I have all of my old Amiga floppies. I think i threw most away during moves, became too much to keep moving and storing. I do still have my Amiga 4000 which I would like to setup again sometime just need to get a monitor for it.