English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 15 May 2021, 01:22   #281
emiespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prb28 View Post

(I program more in typescript than asm )
Same for me I am picking up again asm with limited time after 25 years… I wondered how I could even learn it without a debugger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2021, 03:11   #282
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiespo View Post
Same for me I am picking up again asm with limited time after 25 years… I wondered how I could even learn it without a debugger
I also got into assembly relatively recently. The number of hours saved by instant emulator reboot and this extension's debugging features makes me glad I stuck with C back in the day.

Would love to see cycle/DMA profiling to help tune my (not very optimal) attempts at demo effects.
Old 15 May 2021, 20:31   #283
prb28

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
Would love to see cycle/DMA profiling to help tune my (not very optimal) attempts at demo effects.
This feature may come in the next moths as is it done by @bartman in his extension.
Before that, I'm reworking the binaries management with a download inside the extension and a generation of the example workspace. That will help at the startup for new users.
Meanwhile you can try this : https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...tes.68kcounter
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106546&highlight=vscode+extension
from @gigabates.
Old 15 May 2021, 21:15   #284
emiespo

Quote:
To link with libraries you may need to add options to vlink or create a build with a makefile. You'll find some help in these forums for that.
I was talking about an existing library in LIBS:, what is strange is that my exe is able to find and read another file - (game data) - but it won't open the asyncio.library.

I just tested in RUN mode (putting an error in case the library is successfully opened), and it works... it just fails in debug mode.

Weird.
Old 15 May 2021, 22:43   #285
prb28

The Run and bug modes are different.
I've tried to explain it here: https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amig...ing-to-the-ide
For this reason you must absolute paths, and get some differences with the normal CLI launch.
It's different in the winuae integration, you can try to use it with wine. Some did it with success.
Old 12 July 2021, 17:33   #286
iliak

Hi,

Do you think it's possible to debug custom rom code with your extension ?

I mean, I want to debug a custom ROM made from scratch, not the official roms.
Old 13 July 2021, 18:22   #287
prb28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliak View Post
Hi,
Do you think it's possible to debug custom rom code with your extension ?
I mean, I want to debug a custom ROM made from scratch, not the official roms.
I don’t know…
You can debug a program launched by some kind of cli start. This program must have line debug information to have a source debugging.
You can try to have a dummy program and add some breakpoints in the address you want (in your rom), but even with it you may not be able to access all the memory in the emulator.
Old 16 July 2021, 16:30   #288
chadderack

Just came in to say that this is great! Easiest path (for me) getting back into Amiga asm coding Thank you so much.
Old 17 July 2021, 02:42   #289
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Someone just quickly explain to a lamer like myself how these addons for Visual Studio/.net work because obviously you can't compile them and run them etc
Old 17 July 2021, 10:09   #290
prb28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderack View Post
Just came in to say that this is great! Easiest path (for me) getting back into Amiga asm coding Thank you so much.
Old 17 July 2021, 10:17   #291
prb28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Someone just quickly explain to a lamer like myself how these addons for Visual Studio/.net work because obviously you can't compile them and run them etc

I'm working on a simpler way to get a working example with "one" click. Slowly in progress....

For now, You have to :
There is a (old) video here to show a debug session : https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amiga-wks-example
Old 20 July 2021, 14:03   #292
defor

Hello!
Does Amiga Assembly extension support standard WinUAE shift-F12 debugging? I just recently noticed that whenever I try to open that debugger, the execution goes into VSCode and addon stops the program. Is it because the Amiga Assembly uses its own custom build of WinUAE and that debugging feature is disabled? Or is there any other way how to open the debug console in WinUAE?
Old 20 July 2021, 15:46   #293
prb28

Quote:
Originally Posted by defor View Post
Hello!
Does Amiga Assembly extension support standard WinUAE shift-F12 debugging? I just recently noticed that whenever I try to open that debugger, the execution goes into VSCode and addon stops the program. Is it because the Amiga Assembly uses its own custom build of WinUAE and that debugging feature is disabled? Or is there any other way how to open the debug console in WinUAE?
Yes when the option : "debugging_features=gdbserver" is set, the breakpoint event is sent to vscode. If you remove that option you may have a normal winuae debug feature.
This integration was done by bartman and I'm not enough aware of the winuae internals to give you a better answer without digging in the source...
What is the option missing in vscode that makes you want to access to the internal debugger ?
Old 21 July 2021, 20:15   #294
defor

Quote:
What is the option missing in vscode that makes you want to access to the internal debugger ?
DMA debugger, for example.
It is sometimes handy. Not a big deal though. I can always run it within a standard WinUAE.

Last edited by defor; 21 July 2021 at 20:59.
Old 15 April 2022, 19:54   #295
defor

Hi! I've update VSCode to version 1.66.2 and installed Amiga Assembly v1.2.0.
Now when I start VSCode, it tries to download some needed files (something about it you wrote on your project's wiki, I think). Unfortunately after a few seconds, it displays the error message "The "streams" argument must be specified". Is there some problem with the latest VSCode? Which version do you recommend for Amiga Assembly 1.2.0?
Also, does the latest version of the addon come with more recent version of WinUAE? Previously I was using version 0.21.3 and the recommended workspace (vscode-amiga-wks-example-windows_x64) comes with quite old WinUAE 4.4.0.
Thank you.
Old 16 April 2022, 00:27   #296
prb28

Quote:
Hi! I've update VSCode to version 1.66.2 and installed Amiga Assembly v1.2.0.
Now when I start VSCode, it tries to download some needed files (something about it you wrote on your project's wiki, I think). Unfortunately after a few seconds, it displays the error message "The "streams" argument must be specified". Is there some problem with the latest VSCode? Which version do you recommend for Amiga Assembly 1.2.0?
Also, does the latest version of the addon come with more recent version of WinUAE? Previously I was using version 0.21.3 and the recommended workspace (vscode-amiga-wks-example-windows_x64) comes with quite old WinUAE 4.4.0.
Thank you.
Yes, there is an incompatibility with a download extension that I used. See : https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amig...bly/issues/211
I’ve proposed a pull request to fix it, but it seems abandoned. You can download a fixed version attached to the GitHub issue.
I’ll certainly get rid of it in the next weeks if there is no movement from the owner of this download extension.
I’ve updated the winuae in the last 2 moths to winuae 4.9.0.
Old 16 April 2022, 17:37   #297
defor

Quote:
Yes, there is an incompatibility with a download extension that I used. See : https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amig...bly/issues/211.....
Thank you very much. Downloading and installing file-downloader-1.0.12 patch helped. Everything I need seems to work. Migrating to the latest version of Amiga-assembly was always kind of "bumpy road" for me, but at the end with a little help it settles and works Your addon just rocks!
Old 16 April 2022, 19:29   #298
prb28

Quote:
Migrating to the latest version of Amiga-assembly was always kind of "bumpy road" for me
Yes, the 1.0 version had some big changes : https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amig...eaking-Changes
I try to keep it simple, but sometimes some breaking changes are needed.
Old 17 April 2022, 12:40   #299
prb28

Fixed in pre-release v 1.3.2 and the next release v1.4.
Old 30 April 2022, 20:06   #300
hop

Environment variables in vasm args

Is it possible to use environment variables in vasm args? I'm trying to remove all relative paths to make my sample/demo project folders movable on disk and build from anywhere.

I have an environment variable set called "INCLUDE" pointing to my include directory. I also have "NDK" env var and others I would like to use.

I've set up an "echo" task above the "amigaassembly" task:

Code:
{
    "version": "2.0.0",
    "tasks": [
        {
            "label": "echo",
            "type": "shell",
            "command": "echo workspaceFolder=${workspaceFolder} env:INCLUDE=${env:INCLUDE}"
        },
        {
			"type": "amigaassembly",
			"vasm": {
				"enabled": true,
				"command": "${config:amiga-assembly.binDir}/vasmm68k_mot",
				"args": [
					"-m68000",
					"-Fhunk",
					"-I../../../../include",
					"-I../../../../../toolchain/NDK/Include_I",
					"-I${env:INCLUDE}",
					"-linedebug"
				]
			},
The "echo" task picks up the "INCLUDE" environment variable just fine:

Code:
workspaceFolder=C:\GitHub\Hop\amiga-assembly\target\samples\hardware\copper\copperbars
env:INCLUDE=C:\GitHub\Hop\amiga-assembly\target\include
but vasm doesn't:

Code:
Compiling_________________________________________
building c:\amiga-assembly\target\samples\hardware\copper\copperbars\build\copperbars.o
c:\Users\Hop\AppData\Roaming\Code\User\globalStorage\prb28.amiga-assembly\downloads\vscode-amiga-assembly-binaries-@-1.3.3\vscode-amiga-assembly-binaries-windows_x64/vasmm68k_mot -m68000 -Fhunk -I../../../../include -I../../../../../toolchain/NDK/Include_I -I${env:INCLUDE} <snip>
You can see that the reference to the env var ${env:INCLUDE} has not been expanded.

Is there a way to make this work? Thanks