English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 13 April 2021, 20:29   #261
Lastic

Ah thanks for the update, will give ShadowOfTheBeast 1,2 or 3 a new try then and some others that failed.
Old 13 April 2021, 21:38   #262
Lastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
found several huge bugs in 1.3 argument parsing. Got to work a bit on that... but all random command line errors are now gone

edit: fixed a lot of stuff. got Pinball Dreams running with 512k chip & 1.5 Mb fast on kick 1.3 with LOWMEM! release soon.
I have tried PinballDreams_v1.2c_0377_JST but can't get it to work, which JST or WHDLoad did you use ?

What is actually the difference between preload and hdload ?

Might it be worthwhile (if this doesn't exist yet) to maintain a list of working slaves ?

If anybody has success with

Pinball Fantasies
ShadowOfTheBeast 1 , 2 or 3
BloodMoney
Deliverance
RuffNTumble

Please let me know your settings and which slave sources you used
Old 13 April 2021, 22:52   #263
jotd
This cat is no more

I suggest that you use the latest pinball dreams whdload setup. JST slaves are old. And I'm not maintaining the JST-native part as well as the whdload part those days.

and as I said, you have to get the latest JST 7.0 (released yesterday)

HDLOAD is also a setting from the past. On WHDLoad mode you need either LOWMEM or nothing (=> PRELOAD)

A list of working slaves? well, I'd say 90% of the slaves work, so a list of nonworking slaves would be better...

Another issue with LOWMEM is that it doesn't detect XPKF packed files (I should add a check on that too).
So if the files are packed it will crash. You can try with more memory (emulator) and no LOWMEM to get an error message. Check diskfiles starting with "XPKF", and unpack them using XFDDecrunch

=> Shadow of the Beast 3 runs fine with LOWMEM on JST as long as the diskfiles aren't XPKF packed
=> Deliverance: same
=> Pinball Fantasies: same
=> Ruffntumble: same, works!
=> Blood Money: works

Make sure the slaves are up to date. For instance RuffNTumble need latest slave or it's not 68000 compatible. I believe most of the packs you downloaded have XPKF packed files. Those fail on JST, and badly with LOWMEM as JST doesn't detect them in LOWMEM mode

Maybe you could initialize a google sheet document with nonworking slaves (specifying version of the slave given by whdinfo program or the readme) and I'll check them, but as you see I wasn't able to find a non working slave at the time. I know there are incompatibilities, but those are pretty rare now.

Last edited by jotd; 13 April 2021 at 23:38.
Old 14 April 2021, 19:57   #264
Lastic

Quote:
I suggest that you use the latest pinball dreams whdload setup. JST slaves are old. And I'm not maintaining the JST-native part as well as the whdload part those days.

and as I said, you have to get the latest JST 7.0 (released yesterday)

HDLOAD is also a setting from the past. On WHDLoad mode you need either LOWMEM or nothing (=> PRELOAD)

A list of working slaves? well, I'd say 90% of the slaves work, so a list of nonworking slaves would be better...

Another issue with LOWMEM is that it doesn't detect XPKF packed files (I should add a check on that too).
So if the files are packed it will crash. You can try with more memory (emulator) and no LOWMEM to get an error message. Check diskfiles starting with "XPKF", and unpack them using XFDDecrunch

=> Shadow of the Beast 3 runs fine with LOWMEM on JST as long as the diskfiles aren't XPKF packed
=> Deliverance: same
=> Pinball Fantasies: same
=> Ruffntumble: same, works!
=> Blood Money: works

Make sure the slaves are up to date. For instance RuffNTumble need latest slave or it's not 68000 compatible. I believe most of the packs you downloaded have XPKF packed files. Those fail on JST, and badly with LOWMEM as JST doesn't detect them in LOWMEM mode

Maybe you could initialize a google sheet document with nonworking slaves (specifying version of the slave given by whdinfo program or the readme) and I'll check them, but as you see I wasn't able to find a non working slave at the time. I know there are incompatibilities, but those are pretty rare now.
Thanks again for your time and input, I never owned an Amiga so lots to learn here.

I am using JST 7.0 since yesterday.

I will stop trying the JST slaves from grandis.nu and only use the WHDLoad Slaves from grandis.nu

I have a few days off next week so I'll spend some more time trying and listing up.

EDIT 20:15

It must be my mem specs, I have 1 Mb Chip RAM and 1,5 Mb FastRAM in my A500 , if I bump my Chip RAM to 1,5Mb in FS-UAE all WHDLoad slaves that I mentioned as not working work.

EDIT 21:15

If I bump my specs to 1 Mb ChipRAM and 2 MB FastRAM in FS-UAE that also seems to work so I probably will have to start looking into a > 1,5MB FastRAM expansion

Last edited by Lastic; 14 April 2021 at 21:14.
Old 14 April 2021, 22:25   #265
jotd
This cat is no more

that perfectly makes sense. 1Mb chip ram and 1,5Mb fast ram is the bare minimum (I can run games with LOWMEM on that config though).

The unpacking thing I mentionned is going to be difficult for you if you don't have a proper amiga setup. There's no proper XPK unpacker on windows, you may try to download CDTV JST compilation or CD32 RUGCD CD32load compilation where files are unpacked already, or a proper install from IPFs...

Try your luck with that setup but of course adding 1 or 2 megs wouldn't hurt. If you add enough memory you can also softkick to 2.04 or 3.1 and directly use whdload (and don't worry about XPK files since whdload obviously supports them)

Don't take on the task of trying all the slaves! Just focus on the games you want to play and report back

I've initiated a google sheet document for non working games. Log the ones that don't work for you. I'll check them out

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by jotd; 14 April 2021 at 22:46.
Old 18 April 2021, 10:10   #266
RoC

Tested the version 7.0. Quit works great for most slaves on A500 1.3 with 8MB + IDE.

I tested them all again, I am going to insert the few that doesn't work for me in the sheet document.

Many thanks
Old 18 April 2021, 11:52   #267
jotd
This cat is no more

thanks! appreciated. The document is now writable by anyone.

For anyone who wants to help: just don't post "that slave works" in the sheet, else the sheet will be just useless.
Old 18 April 2021, 19:44   #268
jotd
This cat is no more

version 7.1 out on my github

https://github.com/jotd666/jst

Shadow of The Beast now runs. I also fixed some crashes and added helpful error messages in case XPK files are used with LOWMEM.
Old 19 April 2021, 08:59   #269
Lastic

Quote:
version 7.1 out on my github

https://github.com/jotd666/jst

Shadow of The Beast now runs. I also fixed some crashes and added helpful error messages in case XPK files are used with LOWMEM.
Thanks once again, I'll start testing now with 7.1 the next 3 days of my holidays on my
Kickstart 1.3 , A500 , 1 MB Chip RAM , 1.5 Mb Fast RAM .

I'll use the WHDLoad Slaves from grandis.nu and declare the version also if they are not working and which options I used.
Old 19 April 2021, 19:43   #270
RoC

Thanks for the release 7.1

Tested those slaves "in doubt" again with a WB 1.3 and 7.1. Found a couple (out of 130+) to be trying to fix and reported in the google sheet with details on errors and versions.

Many thanks!
Old 19 April 2021, 19:54   #271
Lastic

RoC what are the specs of your machine ?

I'm awaiting my 8MB FastRAM expansion and tried some WHDLoad slaves again but no luck on my machine.

I'll mark them in the Google Spreadsheet
Old 19 April 2021, 20:06   #272
Retro1234
Phone Homer

would these work any better?

ftp://ftp:amiga@grandis.nu/Retroplay...-_JST_-_Games/
Old 19 April 2021, 20:15   #273
Lastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Well Gods for example works for me the JST version but not the WHDLoad one.
But I was advised to try the more uptodate WHDLoad ones .

Both my JST and WHDLoad slave downloads are from grandis.nu

As I stated before, already gratefull that some games work on my very low specs
Old 19 April 2021, 20:20   #274
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I guess there XPK packed
Old 19 April 2021, 21:24   #275
jotd
This cat is no more

I didn't test SOTB2, but the others you mentionned work, as I explained above. You're using XPKF files. You have to decrunch those files using xfddecrunch or the "decrunchall" script that is in JST 7.1 archive.

check data/disk files with an hex editor. If they start with "XPKF" then they're packed.

With LOWMEM it doesn't check the files, unless it crashes "cleanly", then JST checks the last file loaded. But it can also lock up and you don't have the diagnostic.

I've updated the spreadsheet. ATM only Body Blows Galactic ECS isn't working. I haven't tried the demos
Old 19 April 2021, 21:28   #276
Lastic

Quote:
I didn't test SOTB2, but the others you mentionned work, as I explained above. You're using XPKF files. You have to decrunch those files using xfddecrunch or the "decrunchall" script that is in JST 7.1 archive.

check data/disk files with an hex editor. If they start with "XPKF" then they're packed.

With LOWMEM it doesn't check the files, unless it crashes "cleanly", then JST checks the last file loaded. But it can also lock up and you don't have the diagnostic.

I've updated the spreadsheet. ATM only Body Blows Galactic ECS isn't working. I haven't tried the demos
Had a look at ShadowOfTheBeast v2.5 , it's the same version that I'm using.
Did an XfdList off all files , none of them are crunched/packed. Did an XfdDecrunch anyhow and again none were decrunched.
My apologies but for some reason it doesn't work for me on a real A500 nor on FS-UAE.
I'm a complete newbie to the Amiga so gratefull for all I have achieved and learned so far, just don't understand why it's not working for me but for everybody else it is working.

Can somebody provide me a WHDLoad ShadowOfTheBeast slave that is surely NOT packed or already decrunched just to eliminate that part of the equation.

Last edited by Lastic; 19 April 2021 at 22:19.
Old 19 April 2021, 23:33   #277
RoC

@Lastic

I am using an A500 with the 8+IDE expansion. In addition, I test also on a cycle-exact A500 WinUAE. Results are pretty much the same.

@JOTD

Thanks for the advice, I am going to unpack these few ones (my bad, didn’t do that). For SimCity it is clear.
Old 19 April 2021, 23:44   #278
jotd
This cat is no more

zoned a version of Shadow of the Beast. Note that JST 7.0 fails on that one, but 7.1 works.

Make sure you get 7.1 from my github page
Old 20 April 2021, 08:16   #279
Lastic

Quote:
zoned a version of Shadow of the Beast. Note that JST 7.0 fails on that one, but 7.1 works.

Make sure you get 7.1 from my github page
Thanks

I triple-checked, I have been using 7.1 , I even tried it on WinUAE yesterday evening with my copy of ShadowOfTheBeast_v2.5_1357 from grandis.nu but no luck.

Ok found how I can join the Zone.

Gentlemen, I think I just need to wait on my 8 MB FastRAM expansion.

The 1.5 MB in the trapdoor is actually SLOW RAM not FastRAM . so my A500 has 1 MB ChipRAM and 1.5 Mb SlowRAM .
Can this be the issue ? It came to my attention that one cannot select 1.5 MB of FastRAM in the emulators just 1 or 2 MB.

When trying with the provided SOTB from the Zone on my real A500 , FS-UAE or WinUAE it does not work sadly enough.

Last edited by Lastic; 20 April 2021 at 08:51.
Old 20 April 2021, 10:05   #280
jotd
This cat is no more

it works with winuae, but I don't have a real A500 (well I have, but not with hard drive and all). I didn't try FS-UAE either.

1.5Mb is always slow ram, even on winuae. If you can run other games, that's very strange...

On WinUAE (my config) it works (1MB chip, 1.5MB slow). But I am using a folder for my hard drive, not a hard disk image.