English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 August 2018, 21:31   #1
AmigOoO

Sound-Imperfection in WinUAE (all versions) ?

Hello Toni, hello anyone here !

I would like to know, if I probably found an imperfection of emulation in WinUAE, or not.

Several (OCS/OS1.x) demos introduces on WinUAE an interruption of sound-playback, when one demopart finishes and the next demopart is starting.

As an example, I attached the OCS demo "3D Demo II" from (Anarchy/1992).
In several (not in all) parts of that demo, you will find that behaviour.
You will be able to listen to that short sound-interruption the first time in the named demo above, when switching to the part named "The Portal" and then later when switching from/to other demoparts as well.

I also tested the demo on various older versions of WinUAE, but all versions behave the same like the most actual WinUAE 4.01.

Also I tried all 4 selectable sound-drivers in WinUAE, but no change.
At the moment I am able to test that stuff only on my laptop, not on any other PC.

Unfortunately I don't own anymore the real hardware, therefore my only posibility to compare WinUAE is WinFellow.

On WinFellow there aren't any of those short sound-interruptions between demoparts. Not in this demo and also not in others. I know very well, that several demos do introduce a sound-interruption even on real hardware.

Could anymore please test the demo in the attachment on a real OCS Amiga and post the result here ?!

Btw. It's a nice demo !

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Attached Files
File Type: zip Anarchy - 3D-Demo II (1992).zip (575.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 20 August 2018, 00:29   #2
haps
Rumpig

Just watched the whole demo on latest version with A500 quickstart config and had no such problem.
Old 20 August 2018, 14:31   #3
chip

I see a lot of demos (and games too) each day

Sincerely, i don't hear any "sound-interruptions" as you are talking about
Old 20 August 2018, 15:49   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It sounds like lack of CPU power or similar. Enable on screen leds and check CPU% and FPS. Or some other slow down that breaks sound (because not enough samples was generated), like disk loading requiring just enough CPU power (which is not cheap if you want to be bit-perfect accurate).

Laptops also usually have habit of reducing CPU power because they assume not much CPU is required because WinUAE uses CPU in small bursts (few times per emulated frame) when not using fastest possible CPU mode.

(btw, comparing against other emulators is always totally useless..)
Old 21 August 2018, 17:13   #5
AmigOoO

Hello everyone !

Thanks @all for your answers.

Like Toni wrote, I checked the CPU% and FPS and I saw, that normally the CPU-Indicator tells me 5-40%, but in those parts where I get these sound-interuptions, it shows up to 48%, always something like a peak in CPU-usage. Therefore I think, that my laptop doesn't have enough power for a perfect emulation. Unfortunately I do not have the posibility, to try it on my home-PC.
The Laptop is a 2013 2.4Ghz Intel Core i3 with 8GB RAM and Dualcore. I thought, that would be enough, to emulate an OCS Amiga perfectly.

Mike