English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 December 2017, 21:20   #2261
plasmab
Banned

Terrible Fire Accelerators

I’m considering introducing an ICS570 clock multiplier instead of a crystal and making the multiplier software controllable. In theory this should make things bomb proof. I want to keep things in a locked relationship with the Amiga 7mhz clock so we can avoid this clock domain cross pain we have

EDIT: it’s an experiment to be sure but it should sort out the PAL vs NTSC things going on too.
Old 10 December 2017, 11:10   #2262
zyonee

Hi, people!

I've had little success with my chinese Digilent programmer, even with the correct plugin for it. It detects the chain in impact, but I'm never givena list of processes (Program, Verify, Erase, etc). So I resorted to the Raspberry Pi method. Funny enough is that the RPi 2 wouldn't detect any CPLDs while the RPi 3 booted with the exact same SD card did. So programming them worked really well using this method.

The TF328 wiki says one needs to connect 5v and in capital letters not to connect 3.3v. I'm reluctant to try anything else, but I'm curious as to why this wouldn't work withouht 5v if we connect 3.3v from the RPi directly to the 3.3v rail on the board through the JTAG header. Isn't this sufficient to drive the CPLDs for programming?
Old 10 December 2017, 12:40   #2263
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyonee View Post
Hi, people!

I've had little success with my chinese Digilent programmer, even with the correct plugin for it. It detects the chain in impact, but I'm never givena list of processes (Program, Verify, Erase, etc). So I resorted to the Raspberry Pi method. Funny enough is that the RPi 2 wouldn't detect any CPLDs while the RPi 3 booted with the exact same SD card did. So programming them worked really well using this method.

The TF328 wiki says one needs to connect 5v and in capital letters not to connect 3.3v. I'm reluctant to try anything else, but I'm curious as to why this wouldn't work withouht 5v if we connect 3.3v from the RPi directly to the 3.3v rail on the board through the JTAG header. Isn't this sufficient to drive the CPLDs for programming?

I’m not familiar with programming using the RPi, but your knock off Digilent should show the list of processes functions if you hit the option “disconnect cable” after detecting the chain. You’ll have to disconnect between every program, erase, etc. Verify is also broken, but tu can tell the program is successful by reading the user codes and checksum.

If you’re unsure about what to connect to power, just program the cplds with the card plugged in to a turned on Amiga.
Old 10 December 2017, 14:52   #2264
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Hi, people!

Huh?

You need to power the board independently. Do not connect ANY RPi's power rails to ANY TF board. Ever. An external power supply is required to power the cplds.

The JTAG power supply pin is for the JTAG cables to understand what voltage is being used in circuit. Its called VREF for this reason. Please follow the guide.

I have always powered up the board using a HP6632B or the Amiga itself. JTAG does not provide power, it senses it.
Old 10 December 2017, 16:55   #2265
zyonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Huh?

You need to power the board independently. Do not connect ANY RPi's power rails to ANY TF board. Ever. An external power supply is required to power the cplds.

The JTAG power supply pin is for the JTAG cables to understand what voltage is being used in circuit. Its called VREF for this reason. Please follow the guide.

I have always powered up the board using a HP6632B or the Amiga itself. JTAG does not provide power, it senses it.
That's what I was wondering, what the 3.3v pin on the JTAG header actually does. I wouldn't actually try powering the CPLDs from there without proper research. Now I know, thank you!

Of course, I wouldn't power the TF board externally if it's already connected inside an Amiga. I was writing about powering it independently while not inside a machine. So the 5v supply from the RPi's GPIO to the 2-pin power header isn't okay either? I'm trying to understand why not, if that's the case.

Here's what I meant:

Edit: And of course I wouldn't power it while on the sink.

Last edited by zyonee; 10 December 2017 at 17:31.
Old 10 December 2017, 16:59   #2266
zyonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
I’m not familiar with programming using the RPi, but your knock off Digilent should show the list of processes functions if you hit the option “disconnect cable” after detecting the chain. You’ll have to disconnect between every program, erase, etc. Verify is also broken, but tu can tell the program is successful by reading the user codes and checksum.

If you’re unsure about what to connect to power, just program the cplds with the card plugged in to a turned on Amiga.
I think I tried that too with no success. It's very frustrating. The RPi method, however, did work. But only using the RPi3, not the RPi2.

Actually, I did program my TF328 successfully while it was powered from the CD32 using an RPi, no problem there. I've also had the card unplugged and powered independently from an external 5v source, that worked fine too. So I'm merely wondering if there's any actual problem using the RPi's 5v pin to power the 5v external input on the board when it's not connected to any Amiga.

Last edited by zyonee; 10 December 2017 at 17:30.
Old 10 December 2017, 19:13   #2267
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
I think I tried that too with no success. It's very frustrating. The RPi method, however, did work. But only using the RPi3, not the RPi2.

Actually, I did program my TF328 successfully while it was powered from the CD32 using an RPi, no problem there. I've also had the card unplugged and powered independently from an external 5v source, that worked fine too. So I'm merely wondering if there's any actual problem using the RPi's 5v pin to power the 5v external input on the board when it's not connected to any Amiga.
I am 99.999% sure that the RPi is all 3.3V.
Old 10 December 2017, 19:20   #2268
zyonee

Quote:
I am 99.999% sure that the RPi is all 3.3V.
Sorry to prove you wrong, Stephen. There are two 5V pins at the top right (pins 2 and 4) are 5V. That's why I was wondering if perhaps they had insufficient current.

Actually, I tried it using power from the RPi 3, and it does indeed work. Programming and verifying. Can I add this to your wiki?
Old 10 December 2017, 19:24   #2269
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Sorry to prove you wrong, Stephen. There are two 5V pins at the top right (pins 2 and 4) are 5V. That's why I was wondering if perhaps they had insufficient current.

Actually, I tried it using power from the RPi 3, and it does indeed work. Programming and verifying. Can I add this to your wiki?
Those GPIOs arent 5V tolerant. It will kill the IOB site at best. Im really not into supporting all these combinations. too much work. Just use an "external" supply. The last thing i want is this sort of conversation. If people start arguing because it worked for them and not others is it becomes a waste of effort.
Old 10 December 2017, 20:50   #2270
zyonee

Quote:
Those GPIOs arent 5V tolerant. It will kill the IOB site at best. Im really not into supporting all these combinations. too much work. Just use an "external" supply. The last thing i want is this sort of conversation. If people start arguing because it worked for them and not others is it becomes a waste of effort.
Alright, no problem.
Old 17 December 2017, 20:44   #2271
arf

Quote:
FastMEM and IDE dont work on the ST yet. Nobody has really pushed for me to get it working.

EDIT: IDE doesnt work on the ST for the TF530 because A5 is not wired up. This is corrected on the TF534S.
Where can I find information about the TF534S? I’d be interested for an Atari 1040STF, as the combination of 030+FastRAM+IDE is really tempting.

Old 17 December 2017, 21:22   #2272
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
Where can I find information about the TF534S? I’d be interested for an Atari 1040STF, as the combination of 030+FastRAM+IDE is really tempting.
Unreleased. Has not yet been made to work.
Old 19 December 2017, 19:10   #2273
kri5

Hi folks!

Does anyone sell populated TF-328's at the moment?
(and no - I usually don't do PayPal claims, due to slow shipment =)

Old 19 December 2017, 19:27   #2274
plasmab
Banned

I will if the ram ever shows up from ut source. I’ll make 5 over Xmas
Old 20 December 2017, 00:50   #2275
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri5 View Post
Hi folks!

Does anyone sell populated TF-328's at the moment?
(and no - I usually don't do PayPal claims, due to slow shipment =)
I have them, with and without risers.
Old 20 December 2017, 16:53   #2276
plasmab
Banned

I recommend alenppc. Especially for North America. I’d prefer people got from people locally
Old 20 December 2017, 18:14   #2277
supaduper

Kri5 has been happily accommodated by Moi
Old 20 December 2017, 21:35   #2278
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Kri5 has been happily accommodated by Moi
Good evening TF lovers,
i have bought a SD to CF adapter to test further comatibilities of the TF530 card:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/delock-speic...i/141420985110
unfortunatelly have noticed that this adapter doesen't work with TF..
Card works fine under Windows, i am able to copy my Amiga image with help of WinImage on it, however, it is not recognised by TF530, if i run HDToolBox my Amiga doesen't see this card also, no matter how i set the jumper on the CF adapter 3.3 or 5v... Also Transcend cards makes some trouble (these kinda works, but checksum error message pops up quite often...
Old 20 December 2017, 21:49   #2279
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Also Transcend cards makes some trouble (these kinda works, but checksum error message pops up quite often...
There isn't one-rule-fits all. Some Transcend cards work perfectly fine, some have minor issues, some don't work at all. You should add all the working and non working ones to the Github list, specifying as much information about the card as possible, so we can build a comprehensive database.
Old 20 December 2017, 22:14   #2280
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
There isn't one-rule-fits all. Some Transcend cards work perfectly fine, some have minor issues, some don't work at all. You should add all the working and non working ones to the Github list, specifying as much information about the card as possible, so we can build a comprehensive database.
haven't seen that possibility to add comments for TF530 cards, can You point me please?