English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 July 2016, 10:04   #21
Locutus

disregarding the graphics etc, Streetfighter with a single button joystick? Yeah...Nope
Old 04 July 2016, 00:28   #22
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Yeah I can't imagine trying SF with a one button joystick. How would that even work?

Being on an A3000 I'm also limited to ECS graphics. But ECS pairs up nicely to EGA, although VGA blows it out of the water.
Old 04 July 2016, 02:12   #23
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@ReadOnlyCat

I don't think SotB's MD version could be better than the original due to MD's limited colour palette.
If the colour palette is the more important criteria by which to judge then you are right but do not forget that this would be literally the sole problem of a proper conversion for this machine and with a good graphic artist it would probably be a minor one.

Moreover, aside from the sky, the color gradients used by the game are not that precise, dual playfield only allows 7 colors per playfield and the game does not use palette changes to increase gradient precision (except for the sky as noted) but only to switch to a completely different set of colors so the MD would probably do just fine as is.
Old 04 July 2016, 09:53   #24
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
This is very true but only due to the sheer incompetence of the publisher of the MegaDrive and FM Towns versions since both machines were perfectly able to better the Amiga version without breaking a sweat.
But the same could be said with hundreds of crappy Amiga ports, that were made with a tiny fraction of the staff and budget, doesn't mean the Amiga was incapable.
But anyway this thread is turning into if's and but's.

I think a lot of early DOS games had similar graphics when VGA started to kick in, some of the scrolling was awful though in comparable games, and music wise the Amiga had it covered until expensive soundblaster cards came out. The strengths were again 3D stuff as Amiga's were budget gaming computers in comparison and never competed in that area.

Alot of American publishers left the Amiga first so DOS stuff there generally was better if the Amiga got a port, it was usually ported the higher user base of the A500 instead of the more capable A1200.

But on the other hand European publishers got the most out of the Amiga and hundreds of games were released on the Amiga first or at the same time and ported across to PC/console after.
I think you can include most games from Bitmap Brothers, Team 17, Psygnosis, Renegade, Cinemaware as having the best version on the Amiga among many others publishers, its such a big list, i think its probably better just when you want to play a particular game play it on each format and decide, sometimes its more fun to compare like that!
Old 04 July 2016, 18:18   #25
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post

Hired Guns
Generally better all round than the PC(DOS) version, to be fair graphically this isn't (if any) real discernible difference, but it kinda feel flat.

The main difference comes from the added VGA colors I think. Same problem as with The Chaos Engine: The game actually loks worse with all the colorful additions. For example, Desverger's badass duster/long coat is no longer brown but bright pink/violet!

Nooooo

Last edited by Cherno; 04 July 2016 at 18:39.
Old 04 July 2016, 18:31   #26
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Will WHDLoad handle running PAL games on an NTSC system or do I have to adjust things manually?
Old 04 July 2016, 20:06   #27
vulture

@ReadOnlyCat

The thing about SotB is that it's not a particularly great game itself. The thing that made it famous is its outdoor levels and how beautiful they look and that has much to do with the colours displayed. And those *could* be approximated with some more effort on a MD, but, ultimately, it would still be lacking in both colour quantity and quality.
Old 04 July 2016, 21:08   #28
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
But the same could be said with hundreds of crappy Amiga ports, that were made with a tiny fraction of the staff and budget, doesn't mean the Amiga was incapable.
Well, yes, this very kitten has said multiple times that the arcade crepes we were served were filled with goat droppings in place of chocolate.

You are right regarding production constraints obviously but we were comparing machines anyway, not delving into why such or such end result got pooped onto our unsuspecting younger selves. (This said, I would argue that even that is not a valid excuse, just look at The Sales Curve arcade ports: good to high quality with same team size.)

And I agree with the rest of what you said after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@ReadOnlyCat

The thing about SotB is that it's not a particularly great game itself. The thing that made it famous is its outdoor levels and how beautiful they look and that has much to do with the colours displayed. And those *could* be approximated with some more effort on a MD, but, ultimately, it would still be lacking in both colour quantity and quality.
Yes to everything safe for your last sentence but obviously to prove my point I would have to port the damn beast.
Old 05 July 2016, 21:29   #29
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Ultima VI
Amberstar
Old 06 July 2016, 05:59   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Shadow of The Beast
The PCEngine and FMTowns versions both give the Amiga a run for its money with equal effects the opportunity of more colours and studio CD sounds
Old 06 July 2016, 11:10   #31
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The PCEngine and FMTowns versions both give the Amiga a run for its money with equal effects the opportunity of more colours and studio CD sounds
SOTB was all about visual quality over gameplay, sorry but the PC Engine and FM Towns versions pale in comparision to the Amiga version, the former having less colours and less parallax, whilst the latter is a blurry mess that looks as awful as the canned SNES version.
Old 06 July 2016, 11:56   #32
vulture

@ReadOnlyCat

That would be great!
Old 06 July 2016, 14:04   #33
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
Silkworm, also better than the arcade version imho
Obviously you haven't played the arcade version very much. I've spent hundreds of hours on both versions, and I can tell you that the arcade is a far better game in all aspects. That is not opinion, that is fact.

The Amiga version is missing lots of little things and has no in game music. A poor conversion of a simple game that the Amiga could have done so easily.
Old 06 July 2016, 17:05   #34
nobody

Lemmings
Another world
Speedball 2
Alien breed
Sensible soccer
Arkanoid
Crazy cars 3
Risky woods
Ghosts n goblins
Pang
Gods
Nebulus
Populous 1 & 2
Kick off 2
Old 06 July 2016, 17:12   #35
s2325
Zone Friend

I'm not sure about Ghosts'n'Goblins.
Old 06 July 2016, 17:16   #36
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I'm not sure about Ghosts'n'Goblins.
If I remember well SNES and MD don't have a port so that is the best port around
Old 06 July 2016, 19:28   #37
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Obviously you haven't played the arcade version very much. I've spent hundreds of hours on both versions, and I can tell you that the arcade is a far better game in all aspects. That is not opinion, that is fact.
And in your haste to prove me wrong you missed the part where I said that t could be said the Amiga version is a different game.
There is no such thing as an objective fact when it comes to game review, taste is subjective by definition, you prefer the arcade, I prefer the Amiga version even if it is inferior in many ways. I am not sure why any of us would want to state as a fact that one version is objectively better.

Also, this is an early port and in this regard it is of high quality compared to the crap US Gold () produced. Could have been better and more faithful? Yes. But it is not bad and compared to most ports which came before it and quite a few which came after it is quite good.
Old 07 July 2016, 06:13   #38
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Ultima VI
Amberstar
Ultima VI? I thought the PC version was supposed to be much better.
Old 10 July 2016, 06:10   #39
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Cruise for a Corpse or BloodNet -- two classic adventures -- leap to my mind.

Cruise for a Corpse has amazing music on the Amiga version, and while the PC version had 256 colours, it used them really badly (typical case of colours being added), and the wonderful music was... awful!

Likewise BloodNet was better on the A1200. The terrible fight mechanics of the PC version were simplified which made the game much more fun to play (IMO).

I personally always preferred the Secret of Monkey Island's Amiga music.

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 12 July 2016 at 01:07.
Old 10 July 2016, 21:40   #40
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Workbench