English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 December 2021, 06:19   #1
guybrush

New drive (spinning hd) for real amiga using WinUAE

So, I made few CF cards years ago; made an image of it and used it to restore different other cards. So far so good; I can mount the SD card in winUAE and use it to move things around and set up software.

Although if I want to set up a real hd; I can't get it to show in workbench using winUAE. I tried to boot from my SD card and from a folder mounted as DH0; and added the drive (which show up as unknown since I removed all the partitions); it does show up in HDToolbox if I set the disk to uaehf. I then initialize it, and then create a 600 mb partition and save; at reboot there is no drive on my workbench desktop. Checked again hdtoolbox and the disk is there, the partition is there. It has been so long and I don't really remember how did I set up my original CF card, so I guess I am missing a step here; but can't see what am I missing.

I am using 3.1 classicwb version, but I tried also with a 3.2 installation, and I get the same exact result with both of them. The issue seems to be related to the hardware that can't be "seen" by the OS. Although WinUAE can see it when I mount the drive in the settings, and hdtoolbox see and partition the drive, but this is as far as it goes.

Any idea beside trying on the real amiga? I do not have it set up all the time, which is why I use winUAE to get the setup and everything else done ahead of time

Last edited by guybrush; 29 December 2021 at 06:56.
Old 29 December 2021, 07:34   #2
thomas

If HDToolbox still sees the hdd after a reboot, then it's a software issue, not hardware.

There can be various reasons.

At first, when you run HDToolbox and see the list of drives, if one of the other harddrives (not the new one) is shown as changed, select it and save changes.

When you check the partition, activate advanced options and click on change. Make sure that auto mount is checked.

Also check that the filesystem is a known one. For example to use long file names without kick 3.2 you have to add FFS to the add/update dialogue with the right identifiter of 444F5307.
Old 29 December 2021, 07:43   #3
guybrush

Thanks Thomas,

So far in HDToolbox I see only the actual drive; I boot with just the installer disk in it to use HDToolbox; so it just see the drive I want to set up.

I deleted everything again and just made 1 partition of 550 mb with standard file system; there is nothing else on that disk now; it let me save, it show "changed", and when it reboot, it show nothing beside the installer disk icon.

Tried to bring it down to the simplest case scenario: 3.1 installer disk and the drive. Why it does not show up on workbench to be formatted is something that just elude me
Old 29 December 2021, 08:05   #4
thomas

Boot from the Workbench disk, open a Shell window and enter Assign. It should tell you if the partition is among the mounted devices. If it is, enter Info. If the partition is listed with "no disk in drive", then try this program to format it: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../GuiFormat.lha

Otherwise please run this program and attach the report here: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Old 29 December 2021, 19:13   #5
guybrush

Thanks Thomas, tried those, and eventually I think I found the issue.

For some strange reason, WinUAE won't show the partition I create unless I totally quit the app (not reset, not restart, close it altogether).

I did that last night out of frustration, and this morning when I turned on again the emulator, it was showing the new partition. I tried to modify the partitions and again, it won't show them. Quit WinUAE, start it again and the changes were there.

Not sure if it is a bug of the OS on winUAE or winUAE itself; but it is quite a downer. Spent 3 hours last night (and your time to read my problem), to end up with a forced reboot every time you work on a physical RDB device.

Thanks again for the hints; the fact that it was not showing among the mounted devices made me think that everything was fine but the emulator was to blame
Old 30 December 2021, 19:59   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Weird behavior is usually USB adapter related but this kind of problem has not been reported previously.

You can run winuae with -log parameter to see if there are some unexpected device errors.