English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 22 January 2013, 11:11   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Blitz: Which mode to use

Guys,

As some of you know I am working on my game I started in 1996 (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66459) now I have most of the interface up and running and I am now going to start implementing some player controls and stuff...

I need to know what the best option for displaying the graphics is, i.e which mode to use (Blit, Qblit or BBLit)..

The game naturally isn't going to be overly quick and once a "piece" is placed it shouldn't need to be removed (If a player wants to replace a piece like in the original then the new pipe will just overlay the old one!).. So for this I think Blit will be fine as the original display wont need to be restored.

With the "next piece" section at the top I plan to have it animated so all four pieces will scroll left or right (depending on player 1 or 2).. Now this would probably need to be done using BBlit as I wont be using a dual playfield display..

The same can be said for the players pieces, again they will need to be BBLit-ed onto the display as the character will be moving around the game board, an hopefully quickly.

Now my question.. Does anyone know the maximum number of BBLits per frame that blitz can support without slowdown or noticable tearing (I will be using a double buffer display just in case!)

I the maximum number of moving objects should be:
  1. Player 1 sprite (This will include the current piece to lay)
  2. Player 2 sprite (This will include the current piece to lay)
  3. Player 1 "Next" Pieces (4 shapes) - I could cheat with this and before updating grab the previous 3 shapes as a shape and then move it as a single shape
  4. Player 2 "Next" Pieces (4 shapes) - I could cheat with this and before updating grab the previous 3 shapes as a shape and then move it as a single shape
  5. Pipe pieces from where the "liquid" is flowing
  6. Second pipe piece that is moving
  7. Anything else I decide to add later
Old 22 January 2013, 21:45   #2
leathered

The fastest I 've seen was using the block commands, I 've not yet used them in a game due to the 16 pixel width restrictions.
Qblit is fast and can be used single playfield double buffered screen with the extended QUEUE command. However I 'm convinced this is no faster than bblit.
You can also invoke the blitz commands having stored ththe variables in the data registers used . this is the method I use for my current project, I believe I came across it on a blitz list but it 's also on the blitzop doc I think.
Code:
 getreg d0, screen
getreg d1, shape
getreg d2, x
getreg d3, y
TokeJSR qblit
May be over the top for you and it doesn't answer your question.
Just the fastest I 've found. Best of luck though, will be following with interest
Old 23 January 2013, 18:09   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

I use the block commands currently to draw the gamescreen. Although depending how I feel this may change.

I think the blitz's own commands will suffice here as there wont be loads going on at once.

Hopefully I'll get some time to work on it a little more. Right now I am putting a spreadsheet together(excel) that will rearrange the sprite sequence if I change any, although I suppose a quck blitz tool could do this for me hahaha