English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 May 2013, 01:38   #1
nornik81

The Miners - kind of a "Diggers" remake (project)

Hello,

Sorry if this topic is in wrong place, but I didn't find "remakes" section in the forum.

Anyway, about 1,5 year ago, I found here information about remake of one of my favorite Amiga games - Diggers. I downloaded current version and played a while. As I know, currently remake is still in development by Mashu. However, his project inspired me to create my own remake of Diggers. The Miners is a game that take the best from original (at least in my opinion) and adds more features (like achievements, better controls, half-open structure, completely new races, terrain, maps, etc).

Please let me paste here some brief description about this game, together with links where you can learn more about it (also you will find there screenshots and trailer).

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Miners is a game inspired by Diggers - one of the best Amiga games released in 1993 by Millenium.

Player leads team of 5 miners, who mines deeper and deeper for precious gems and other treasures. Excavations are performed on a small, but very rich in raw materials, planet called Morg. It is a perfect place for mining. Varied topography and beautiful scenery encourages for digging. Unfortunately, all what they mine is owned by The Mine. Suddenly, one day, owner of all mines on the planet, announced competition for the best mining team. Winner will receive the first prize - one of the richest mines on the planet! Additionally, that they will keep for their own all treasures found during competition. Why dig a whole life for someone, like you can dig for yourself and increase your treasury?

However, victory will not come so easy. You will have to beat other teams, and watch out for many hostile creatures who live in the caves. You will also have to cope with the mines itself, as they are placed in really wild and inaccessible places. Luckily, competition rules allows to use advanced mining tools.

Don’t waste your time and send your application to the competition today!

Game features:
- campaign and “free play” modes
- 4 unique races with their own characteristics
- 5 mine graphic sets
- 5 precious gems to dig and to sell in the bank
- 6 advanced tools to buy in the shop
- 48 achievements to get
- 3 ways to control miners
- hand-drawn pictures
- map and campaign editor included
- half-open game construction

Game has special websites on Google+, Facebook and IndieDB. If you like this project please use “+1” and “Like” buttons and share it with your friends.
The Miners on Google+
The Miners on Facebook
The Miners on IndieDB

Game is still in development stage.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hope, you will like my project.

best regards,

Nornik

Old 14 May 2013, 04:45   #2
amiman99

I have Diggers for CD32, but I did not explore the game to the fullest . I may have to try it again.
Good luck with your project.
Old 20 June 2013, 21:39   #3
nornik81

Finally I finished graphic pack for volcanic terrain. It took me one month to draw it, but I think it was well spent time. It has lots of lava, "hot" stones, burned trees, and of course lots of gems to mine. You may also encounter here special "enemies", like boiling lava or burned angry Ent. You will need to keep you eye on each of your miner very carefully here as they can lost they life in no time in this unfriendly world.

Below you will find example screenshot of this new volcanic terrain. Currently drawn scenarios: volcano, wasteland, grassland and iceland you may find on one of the profiles mentioned on first post (for example IndieDB). I plan to create one more - beach/lagoon. It will be filled with nice sand, colorful stones, shells, starfishes, sea junk, fish bones, etc. Excellent for upcoming summer holidays.

I really like what I did here - hope you also will.

Please leave some comment if you like this.

Old 20 June 2013, 22:50   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'm all for brutal honesty: that would look great if it wasn't so damned crisp looking! It can use a little shading around the edges to polish it off and give it a more gamey feel to it.
Old 21 June 2013, 14:38   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

It's ok in proper resolution

Old 21 June 2013, 14:40   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

By the way, I created some Diggers AGA maps last week: http://hol.abime.net/354/gamemap
Old 15 July 2013, 22:23   #7
nornik81

@CodyJarrett -> wow, man I was looking for such maps for a long time. Not to copy them, but just to see how they were created. I have to say, that I am quite surprised about their structure. I mean, there is no stones, put here and there (on most of the maps). They are only around caves, while whole mine is free of any obstacles. Interesting.

------------------------------------------

After another month spent on game graphics, I’m very happy to announce you that I finished last graphic set - Lagoon. It is much more different than any other. Whole set is very colorful, and looks like holidays in tropics. But there is no time for sunbathing! Lots of gems is buried in the sand and you are here to dig them. But beware of crabs lying in the sand, ancient stone sculptures, piranhas, and other creatures that for sure will not help you in your task!

It is last graphic set that I planned to create, so I can say, that all graphics for the game are completed.

Below you will find some screenshot from this “warm” terrain. More screenshots you will find one of the profiles mentioned on first post (for example IndieDB)

Hope, you will like this, summer scenario.

Old 03 September 2013, 23:11   #8
nornik81

The time has come to tell all of you something about races that will be available in the game. From game description you may learn that you can choose one of four races to lead to the victory in the contest. Those of you who watched trailer and viewed screenshots carefully might already noticed what are their names and how they are look like. Below you will find their short description together with avatars.

Bears
Bears are masters of mining techniques. They mine very fast, so have more chances to find some precious gems in the same time than other races. Unfortunately they have to come back to the surface very often, because of their very poor carrying capabilities. This also prevents them from using additional mining tools, which are quite heavy.

Crocs
Crocs have average mining skills and they can carry up to 5 gems. Their main power is regeneration speed. When they are tired or exhausted after long fight, crocs can restore full health very fast. So, they back to the mine in no time. Thanks to this you will also save some money on first aid kits.

Foxes
Foxes are very universal miners. Thanks to this, they don't have weak points, but on the other hand because of that they haven't mastered any mining skill. Choose them, if you cannot decide make your mind on any other race.

Rhinos
Rhinos are a very strong race. They can carry lots of stuff, and are unmatched in hand to hand combat. Unfortunately their mining skills are very low, but... who will tell them that? Luckily for them they can use various mining tools without much carrying penalty.

Everyone should be able to pick race that will be the most suitable for him.

Old 21 March 2016, 23:51   #9
nornik81

Hello All!

First of all please accept my apologies for not putting any information, screens, progress update about my game in this topic for... 2,5 years. I simply started threads about game that I'm working on, on too many websites (for example mentioned on first post Facebook or IndieDB) and didn't manged to handle with all of them. I'm really sorry for that.

Nevertheless, I would like to let you know, that I finished my game. (as a simple kindly reminder I will just say, that The Miners, is my remake of Diggers). Finally, after more than 4 years of development. I spent lot of my free time to finish this game and to polish it as much as I can. I'm very happy from the final effect and hope that players will appreciate my work.

Please see below game trailer to see how the game look like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
[ Show youtube player ]

Game is not available for download yet. It has been submitted recently to a Steam Greenlight and it is awaiting community votes. If you like my project, please visit game Steam account - you will find there detailed description and screenshots which are in much better quality than provided trailer.

The Miners on Steam Greenlight

If you still like my project could you please vote on YES? Thank you very much in advance!

Three game screenshots to have a quick view on it:

Old 22 March 2016, 00:04   #10
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

ok now demake it for Amiga if you dare :P
Old 06 April 2016, 22:25   #11
nornik81

Heh, as you probably guessed I'm not able to do that

Old 09 June 2016, 23:11   #12
nornik81

The Miners RELEASED

Ok boys and girls! It is a time to grab good shovel or pickaxe and dig some tunnels in your mine! Mine deeper and deeper looking for precious gems and other resources like gold or silver. Do you know what does it mean?

Yes! Game is finally officially released!

You can buy it on Indie Game Stand store, or by using buy widget placed on my newly created small portfolio website. I encourage you to use this second option as simply more % of the price will reach me. Please see below links.

Hope you will have so much fun playing my game as I while working on it.

---------

1. Buy game at Indie Game Stand

2. Buy game at my website using widget

---------

Last edited by nornik81; 18 June 2016 at 00:48.

Old 15 June 2016, 19:53   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Good price, I hope it gets green-lit!
Old 16 June 2016, 00:41   #14
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nornik81 View Post
The link to your web site is messed up, but otherwise congratulations on getting the game out there. Best of luck with it.
Old 18 June 2016, 00:52   #15
nornik81

Thanks for good words. I corrected this link.

I also hope it get green-lit... someday

Old 26 June 2016, 23:24   #16
nornik81

If someone is not able to buy game at IGS, on my website occurred new way to buy it using Humble Bundle widget.

Buy game at my website using Humble Bundle widget

--------------------------------

I thought about this quite a long time, but finally I decided to try and make a demo version of The Miners. I was worried about successfully limit my game without any injury to game code, but I think I manged to do this.

The Miners Demo contains 2 playable races and 2 maps (+tutorial map). Additionally some achievements have been allowed. It provides good view on a gameplay before you make a final decision to buy a game.

You can download it at IndieDB on below link. Hope you will like it!

---

The Miners Demo download

Last edited by nornik81; 14 July 2016 at 00:39. Reason: Project update - demo available

Old 30 September 2016, 23:52   #17
nornik81

I wanted to share with you with very happy news, that my game has received greenlight on Steam! Yes! It will be available on Steam store on October 4th.
You can go to the store using below link:

The Miners on Steam

Thank you to all who vote for my game! If you have any questions please let me know