English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 23 April 2013, 10:34   #1
leonard

Clipping line for blitter fill

Hi all,

I'm still working on my blitter filling amiga routine I'm adding clipping. I know blitter is filling from right to left, so you should be carefull when clipping object to the right of the screen. My routine is working on the right edge: sometimes I have to add some vertical lines. Everything is working well.

But, when I try to put my object on the left side of the screen, the fill is broken. I did't add vertical lines for left border, I guess I don't need to. I don't enderstand why it does not work, because my clip routine is not buggy (If I draw wireframe lines, the lines are perfectly cliped on the left border)

Is there something special to do when cliping lines on left border? Where did I miss something?
Old 23 April 2013, 11:43   #2
Paradroid
Rock Lobster

Is it just a single row of pixels that isn't filling correctly? If so it could be a case of it drawing an extra pixel over the left border (and onto the right of your bitplane, which messes up the fill)

if you could post a screen shot maybe one of us will recognise an old bug or past mistake of our own
Old 23 April 2013, 12:11   #3
leonard

I though about it but I did not see any "one" nasty pixel warping to the right border.
I'll post a screen shot tonight, but the effect is VERY similar as if you don't do RIGHT cliping properly (without drawing additional vertical lines).

Last edited by leonard; 23 April 2013 at 14:02.
Old 23 April 2013, 16:42   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

does the blitter not continue filling on the next horizontal line up if you don't have a left edge pixel?
Old 23 April 2013, 17:00   #5
leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
does the blitter not continue filling on the next horizontal line up if you don't have a left edge pixel?
I don't think so. I though blitter reset its internal "fill bit" state each line. But maybe it's a "mode" I haven't set.
Old 23 April 2013, 19:15   #6
Paradroid
Rock Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
No
Old 23 April 2013, 20:37   #7
leonard

I made some test drawing just one pixel vertical line on the screen and fill it. It appears the fill "wrap" if the line is in the first 16 pixels screen columns. (ex 0,0,0,255)

15,0,15,255 is fucked up too. As soon as the line is (16,0,16,255), everything is ok (the screen is filled at the left of the line). The first column stay black.

I wonder if the problem came from the fact I fill the whole screen width, so maybe the blitter "don't know" my line is over?

Did anyone of you noticed that???

Attached: a vertical line at column 0 (bad fill), and another one at line 17 (working)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	line_x0.png
Views:	379
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	35171   Click image for larger version

Name:	line_x17.png
Views:	302
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	35172  
Old 23 April 2013, 20:54   #8
Paradroid
Rock Lobster

there are 101 things that could be going wrong here, but at least it's not a screen full of garbage

My best guess right now is that you've given the blitter the wrong source/dest address for the buffer. The fill works in reverse mode, but you have to make it point at the first word of the buffer that needs filling, so you have to subtract 2 after adding the (width/8)*height offset to the buffer's base address.

Did you do that already?
Old 23 April 2013, 21:01   #9
leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradroid View Post
Did you do that already?
Oh you got it! I never noticed that Just remove 2 to my adress and it works perfectly

Thanks
Old 24 April 2013, 05:42   #10
hannibal

Oh, and one more tip - I know the filler rubs backwards, but one trick I used to save memory was to sometimes only have 1 front buffer instead of 2, if it was interleaved, and then doing the filling from top right corner instead of bottom right corner (by messing with the modulo). This works without tearing if filling blit starts above the first raster of the object. Sometimes every byte matters

Old 24 April 2013, 10:26   #11
leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannibal View Post
Oh, and one more tip - I know the filler rubs backwards, but one trick I used to save memory was to sometimes only have 1 front buffer instead of 2, if it was interleaved, and then doing the filling from top right corner instead of bottom right corner (by messing with the modulo). This works without tearing if filling blit starts above the first raster of the object. Sometimes every byte matters
Hannibal I love that kind of trick Really cool. Used a lot of that kind of stuff on ATARI-ST, especially in "fullscreen". ( fullscreen on ATARI is really weird and cool to code. there is nothing like that on AMIGA I guess)
Old 25 April 2013, 22:16   #12
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Excellent tip Hannibal, I'll make a note of that as I'm sure I'll use in future ASM projects
Old 27 April 2013, 12:03   #13
Cyprian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
I'm still working on my blitter filling amiga routine
Hey Leonard
are you going to release your great vector demo also for Amiga?

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1251
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1575