English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 December 2015, 11:31   #1
ramonsmits

4:3 TV's or monitors, RGB->VGA vs RGB->SCART

So, I currently have a simple RGB to VGA pinout converter in which I plug a VGA cable that goes into a TFT and it works.

However, the TFT is 16:9 and having a 4:3 would create a better experience.

I visited some local addresses that sold that 4:3 screens but none of them seem to work "frequence out of range". I now visited about 6 addresses with different brands amd types (LG, Philips, Samsung) and not a single one worked.

My TFT (Dell U2311H) does work so there must be screens that work but what makes it likely to work? My Currently Dell only has VGA and DVI. It does not have a RCA or SCART input.

Will I have more luck finding a TV that works with a RGB to SCART compared to RGB to VGA?
Old 11 December 2015, 11:45   #2
Tyball

Yes. Only a few monitors and tvs work from rgb to vga. See other threads, forums. Some are 4:3. Others 5:4. Scart always works.
Old 11 December 2015, 11:46   #3
lumi

Check this thread at Amibay: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...SUB%29-Adapter
Old 11 December 2015, 12:00   #4
Daedalus

Does your TFT not have 4:3 mode? Most do, and it lets you view the pixels at their normal ratio by putting black bars down each side of the screen. Not ideal perhaps, but better than stretched 16:9.
Old 11 December 2015, 12:20   #5
ramonsmits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Does your TFT not have 4:3 mode? Most do, and it lets you view the pixels at their normal ratio by putting black bars down each side of the screen. Not ideal perhaps, but better than stretched 16:9.
Good suggestion, did not look in the menu yet.
Old 11 December 2015, 12:22   #6
ramonsmits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyball View Post
Yes. Only a few monitors and tvs work from rgb to vga. See other threads, forums. Some are 4:3. Others 5:4. Scart always works.
So what makes the SCART work as that is also only a pinout conversion correct? It still has the low frequencies.

Is it because SCART specifications demand supporting these low frequencies?
Old 11 December 2015, 12:57   #7
Daedalus

Yep, the SCART specification is for standard ~15kHz video, whereas the VGA standard is for ~31kHz and above. The actual RGB signals are basically the same, it's just the horizontal clock that's different. Some displays are made to take composite video (also at ~15kHz), and often these will also accept the 15kHz signal through the VGA port because they have the electronics to handle those frequencies and the built-in software doesn't care which connector is used. My Dell U2410 is one such screen, as is yours, but it is technically way outside the VGA specification so there's never a guarantee that it will work.
Old 11 December 2015, 20:54   #8
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonsmits View Post
Will I have more luck finding a TV that works with a RGB to SCART compared to RGB to VGA?
Yes but most of TV's have very serious limitation from Amiga perspective - they display only 1 video format - 720x576(480) - this means that Amiga video is always distorted (there is no 1:1 pixel mapping) - also this means that Amiga video is always resized, also some pixels are lost (Amiga produce more pixels than 720).

Same rule apply to SCART2HDMI converters - they assume 13.5MHz video at SCART input.

http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BT.601/