English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 24 August 2019, 15:05   #1
NPI

Antispyrel

On HoL it says that time game is commercially released. However it's just a demo.

[ Show youtube player ]

Youtube comments from the developer:

Quote:
Mate, it wasn't finished by the time I released the demo...it wasn't even supposed to be released. I do know I sent the demo to a couple of friends and somebody must have published it. Steve Vanderhorst
Quote:
Nope, I never completed the game. I remember I built it up to the final part where the main character was suppose to do something with a spyrel but I couldn't get a concept of what a spyrel should be...haha. Shortly thereafter, I started a new software company with two of my friends. That made me loose every interest in games...haven't played any games since.
Quote:
The main character btw was inspired on the late 'Simon van Collem', who had a tv show on dutch television. He actually died in juni 1989. If you do a search on Simon van Collem on Google you will see the resemblence with the main character. haha
Old 24 August 2019, 16:29   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
That's interesting.

Sadly we don't have a "game not finished but published without the author's consent by someone who had access to the demo" category in HOL.

Not sure who filled the entry and if it was based on an actual commercially sold floppy disk but if the game (even if only a demo) was released and sold on disk it deserves to be considered as "commercial".

However, some notes at the bottom of entry should mention the author's comments you pasted here. I'll need to think of a way to state all that.
Old 24 August 2019, 17:41   #3
NPI

Another comment I found on Lemonamiga:

Quote:
Hi Chuckles

My name is Stefan van de Horst and I wrote the game at the age of 22. Prior to the development of this game, I wrote two other platform games 'Larrie and the Ardies' and 'Larrie at the Castle'. Those games were inspired by the arcade game Mappy (or Mappie..)

I only developed Antispyrel up to the final level and although I had some ideas about the final level, I stopped the development and went on with other, commercial software. The idea was (as I vaguely remember) to have the main character being sucked up to heaven to become enlightend some sort of spyrographic effect.

I only released the demo version and it is interesting to find a non-demo version on the internet as well since I never gave that version to anybody else. The demo was cracked by ADJ from the oracle cracking crew. ADJ was a friend of mine who lived 20km from my hometown.

To design the levels, I developed a small tool called ... The 'level-designer', which was later used by other developers to design levels for their own games.

So, the game was never released commercially.