English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 January 2014, 17:55   #1
Firestone

Cyberstorm MK1 not booting in ONE of my A4000s

Hi everyone!

Recently I decided to get a few of my Amigas up and running again, and one of them appeared not to be able to boot with my Cyberstorm MK1 060.

So I started searching for the problem, and replaced the Cyberstorm with a Commodore A3200/A3400 68030 board.
Same problem, black screen, no kickstart picture or whatever.

I then removed all the SIMMs from the motherboard and reseated them. Now the board boots just fine with the 030-board.

Oh well, so I thought that the problem had to be just those old SIMMs on the mb, and replaced the 030 with the 060 board again.
But nothing happens when the Cyberstorm is installed on this motherbord. I can see those flickerings colors you get every time you reset the machine. (that red stripe effect from the 060 board), but it won't continue to boot or give me the kickstartscreen. I can reset the machine with Ctrl + A + A, and it gives me those "cpu-colors" again like a normal reboot, but stops there.

I then removed the Cyberstorm again and installed it in a spare A4000. Woala, everything is normal. That board boots just fine with the Cyberstorm installed. Confirmed the recognition of the board with ShowConfig, and even the RAM-module is detected ok.

I have tried the failing mb with J100 in both EXT and INT-position with no luck.
Are there any other jumpers on this board that can cause the Cyberstorm not to work?

As you can see on the attached picture, there are some corrosion around the batteryarea, probably from an earlier failing battery. Could this be causing the Cyberstorm to fail? And if it does, why will the machine still boot with the 030-board?

Old 27 January 2014, 15:07   #2
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

the mobo probably needs new capacitors..

and get that corrosion cleaned up and neutralized, because it will continue to eat away at your board..

because of slight timing differences and power consumption, there can easily be a difference between which cpu boards work and which don't on a non-refurbed old mobo like that..
Old 29 January 2014, 20:32   #3
Firestone

Thanks hooverphonique....

This sounds like a reasonable explanation why the 060 board isn't working with this motherboard. Probably have to order some capacitors... Tried with a different PSU just to be sure, but the problem is probably on the motherboard itself, and not in the PSU.

Do you have any tips on what capacitors on this board that may be able to cause this kind of problem? I don't see any reason why I should change the capacitors on the audio-circuit for example when there is nothing wrong there... Or am I completely wrong?
Old 29 January 2014, 21:00   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

in general, you should exchange all the electrolytic smd capacitors... and watch out for corrosion caused by leakage from those as well.. you can watch some photos of me doing mine here.
Old 29 January 2014, 21:15   #5
Firestone

Pretty impressive work you have done there. I have bookmarked your thread now for later use thanks a lot!