English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 27 June 2001, 17:16   #1
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Big grin Is this the greatest Amiga board on the net?

'Coz I don't want to be posting here under false pretenses. If there is another board equal in goodness or better (which I highly doubt), be sure to let me know. Thanks.
Old 27 June 2001, 19:21   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Burge,

from me you will get nothing but a loud and clear 'YES'.

This is the best and most SERIOUS Amiga community that was *ever* in the Internet. There's nothing like it anymore (yet). No, I don't think I'm exaggerating here. The only community that can be compared to EAB *was* (not *is*) the discussion board @ amigaemulation.com (RIP).

Back to EAB: after years of silence from them, I see *real* old sceners (those that really got knowledge without pretending) come back into the net communities! That's absolutely amazing...I do NOT think that every scener registered here will also discuss on Godflesh's board because that (my opinion!) contains too many spammers and/or shouters with stuck '!' keys that will chase the sceners away because they don't want to mess with morons. Same with 'Emulation Talk' where you also have to pick the interesting topics with a magnifier.

Yes, the EAB is a good invention. Hopefully the spammers stay away here ... forever. RCK does a very good job -- an administrator without authority would open doors for spammers.
No, thanks.
Never change a running ... ehm ... community.
Old 27 June 2001, 20:22   #3
RCK
Administrator

Thanks for the greetings andreas, it touch me a lot.

Burge, you can look at the others amiga board of the net and judge them by yourself.

Emulation Talk
Fellow Discussion Board
WinUAE Discussion Board
Amiga Emulation Nation board
Old 27 June 2001, 21:33   #4
Amiga1992

I also think this board is tops. Ive been onto the Emu Talk forum, and the Godflesh one even... and this one stayed. Emu Talk got recently floodd with lame requests (people cant see the bloody links at the top), and godflesh's board, well... lamest (except for a cool few peeps, but a lot of them are appearing over heer as well so I have no loss

I think this one is tops
Old 27 June 2001, 22:38   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

I guess

We're all in agreement then .... Apart from one thing, the Offical UAE Board is defintely the most serious discussion board Due to the fact it's only "Supposed to" cover actual emulation problems, not request and general chat
Old 28 June 2001, 11:48   #6
Burge
Get ready, Agent

You've convinced me RCK, no other board comes close. This is the most professional, most active and most downright classy Amiga board out there. I can't thank you (and the other members of this board) enough for providing this amazing facility, if only for nostalgic value. A job very well done.

*Ass kissing over*
Old 28 June 2001, 11:50   #7
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Wink Oscar Night

Jesus, this thread is sounding like a speech on Oscar night!
Old 28 June 2001, 11:57   #8
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Stick out tongue

Yes, quite good am I words the with.
Old 28 June 2001, 13:29   #9
MrDig

Yep, I am following all the Amiga Emu discussion boards for a long time now.. And for a very long time I liked Emulation Talk the most, but unfortunately this board became a bit less interesting the last couple of months...

The UAE discussion board is very good indeed...

And I like the EAB a lot of course!

Old 30 June 2001, 15:32   #10
BWT

Smile ..much chuckles...

..definately a great board, & I'm rarely a big talker.

But I appreciate the friendly banter, and chuckles..:laugh

At least all of you can hold reasonable threads together (thoguh is this one getting a little too {quote} "Oscar night" ) , not like many boards I've tried. This is the first I've ever stuck with for ANY length of time.

..right back of to OSS. Gotta fix that pitch bend..

RCK: Mods section! thanks.

Old 01 July 2001, 10:54   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, once I was introduced to EAB, it became all I needed for Amiga discussions. Emulation Talk I'd abandoned long ago because they had only newbies requesting 'rare roms' (like Monkey Island, Speedball 2, Lemmings - the real obscurities that requesters had looked for EVERYWHERE and could not find!). And no sense of humor (anybody remember the famous fork in the eyeball bit?) Ahh, the memories!

As for AEN2k...it served its purpose at one time, because I met many wonderful Amiga users there (which is not a credit to the forum itself), but after coming here to EAB, AEN2k was only good for one purpose, and that was for flaming the misguided gods of that domain. Every now and then, you just want to flame something stupid and defenseless, and AEN2k fit the bill perfectly.
Old 01 July 2001, 14:13   #12
Amiga1992

Heh, I remember the 'incident with the fork' Everybody started to flame me because of my highly sarcastic comments

It's funny, I never got onto a flamewar with Godflesh on his board, mainly because he jsut didnt reply my posts. He had nothing to say, methinks. No way to prove his innocence And besides godflesh, tehre were a bunch of others that, omg, complete sad assholes.
Old 01 July 2001, 14:37   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Emulation Talk
Yeah, the fork bit was great. And we'd already discussed beforehand the 'inspiration' behind the response (I think Amiga Power replied to off-topic letters with the same answer). We were so sick of game requests that were just made two posts back that we began responding with absurdities such as that. But the crybabies were afraid we might hurt the feeling of the newbies or give a bad impression of Amiga users. Bah! Too damn many bleeding hearts.

Re: AEN2k
And for the longest time, Godflesh silently avoided my prodding. But I persisted until I got a response. I wondered what it would take to see his true colors. That forum thinks it's elite, but it's merely elitist. Eventually, there will only be Godflesh, Sane, and Thrill. And they can post messages to each other about the upcoming ftp's. And the Uploads-Only ftp's. And warn each other about banging the ftp's...

Yawn...
Old 01 July 2001, 22:08   #14
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
@Twistin'

Well I understand your intention. But what *I* witnessed during the years Godflesh was online was that everytime he showed his "true colors" he did this by using foul, stinking language from the gutters. IOW, he's just unable to *argue*, he flames due to lack of arguments. (The word he fires at everyone a dozen times a day who criticizes him begins with 'as...' and is 7 characters long).

Last edited by andreas; 03 July 2001 at 21:15.
Old 01 July 2001, 23:17   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Andreas
This is true...I re-read my message and I was unclear. I meant to say that I prodded him to attack me, since my criticisms towards him were usually dealt with somewhat politely (for him), compared to the abrasive, trashy ethics he used elsewhere. I'd always been appalled at the way he censored others' messages.

Perhaps the worst case of that was when he actually went in and edited another user's message to say something positive, when that user had posted a negative message about something. That, IMHO, is far worse than any message deleting.

After finishing up here at EAB last night, I took another peek at the AEN2k board and it's starting to look like a ghost town. The few posts there were mostly from new people. His cult is dwindling down, which is certainly in his favor, since there will be a new batch of users he can promise the ftp's to all over again. Might be, oh, 3 months before they figure out his game.

One final note on the ftp's: he won't put them online until he has that one last CD he is waiting for (he claims). In other words (assuming this to be true, that is), he doesn't care about the service of offering the games to those who need it now, he is more interested in offering the service ONLY when he can claim his ftp to be the largest and that it has *** gigs.

meg·a·lo·ma·ni·a
n.

1. A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence.
2. An obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions.

...'nuff said.