English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 11 May 2006, 20:07   #1
Jerry

Tool to set spindown time of 2 1/2 inch hds?

Is there a tool that can set the spindown time of 2 1/2 inch hds? Mine stops spinning after about half an hour but it would be nice for some games if it could stop after just 5 mins of so.
Old 11 May 2006, 20:19   #2
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Hi Jerry. I also use a 2.5 inch HDD inside my AT1200. I have been using the PD utility HDSleep http://main.aminet.net/disk/misc/HDSleep.lha
for many years without trouble. User can set a delay as when to stop the HD spinning. Hope this helps!
Old 12 May 2006, 10:38   #3
Jerry

Thanks Solid Snake,
have to try it again but if I remember correctly hdsleep has to be run in a multitasking environment and won't shut the hd down if multitasking is off (as in whdload). The shutdown feature of the hd itself is independent of any userspace programs and I was hoping that there was some way to manipulate the time. Guess I'm outta luck and have to develop some other workaround...
Old 12 May 2006, 11:21   #4
DopPie
Zone Friend

The HD Sleep tool sends something to the harddisk after a set period of time making the HD go to sleep. However most games turn off multitasking (whdload) and this will no longer work.
Old 12 May 2006, 12:51   #5
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Is there a tool that can set the spindown time of 2 1/2 inch hds? Mine stops spinning after about half an hour but it would be nice for some games if it could stop after just 5 mins of so.
Half an hour? You're lucky - every 2.5" HD I've had since 2002 stops spinning after 10 seconds. This is extremely annoying because it's constantly spinning then stopping, spinning then stopping. After only 6 months my last 2.5" HD started making loud clicking and whining noises when stopping and starting up. I assume modern harddrives are meant for computers using Windows that are constantly writing to virtual memory swap files or doing infinte fastfind indexing so that it doesn't often stop spinning (unlike Amiga). I have also gotten lots of crashes when the harddrive spins down at the exact second that a program is trying to access the drive. My very old 2.5" HD had no spindown and is much more reliable (no clicks, no sudden crashes).

I wish there was a program to set the spindown time directly in the harddrive settings permanently or on startup (assuming the current 10 second spindown is set somewhere in the drive) instead of having a program constantly running in the background to force spindown at intervals. I'd set my spindown to something like 10 minutes.
Old 12 May 2006, 13:38   #6
Jerry

Ok, 10 secs is a bit harsh. 10 mins would be perfect for me, too. I guess I'll copy the game over to ram, run hdsleep and the the program. Is a bit of a hassle but I love the sheer sound of silence...
Old 12 May 2006, 13:46   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Yes, the "sheer sound of silence" is nice. That's why I'm thinking of getting a CF to IDE adapter and running my Amiga on compact flash cards and avoid the whole spindown nonsense. Then I can have "severe sheer silence".
Old 12 May 2006, 15:32   #8
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
Yes, the "sheer sound of silence" is nice. That's why I'm thinking of getting a CF to IDE adapter and running my Amiga on compact flash cards and avoid the whole spindown nonsense. Then I can have "severe sheer silence".
CF is excellent but they have a few oddities. The one I have won't work with IDEfix at all, isn't recognised as a drive by HDtoolbox (although it does read the geometery ok-ish) and refuses to accept an IDE slave on its channel (ATAPI slave is ok, and having an IDE master works with it ok set as a slave, but IDE slave on the same channel cant be seen by the system if CF is the master). Who knows what other surprises it's got in store for me.

Aside from those quirks I'd say yes go for it. They're very quick and 1GB can be had for under £20 now.
Old 12 May 2006, 19:27   #9
Jerry

CF is a nice idea though I'm a bit concerned of how long they will survive with their limited lifetime and the prize/size ratio isn't that great if you have a spare 2 1/2 notebook hd flying around for free
Old 12 May 2006, 20:18   #10
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
i have IBM Travelstar drive inside a1200 and it seems it have this mechanism native, after 15 mins it spin down self
Old 12 May 2006, 21:55   #11
Jerry

That's what I meant. My drive has this feature native,too, but I hoped that there was some standartized way to set the spindown time.
Problem for me is that I use some whdload games that completely preload the disks and only need to access diskimages when going out of the game to save the highscores eg. Pinball Dreams/Fantasies. It would be so practical if hd would shutdown right after reading the diskimages. I suggested something like this to the whdload team once but no one really seemed interested. Shouldn't be too hard to implement as the sources of eg HDSleep come with the program...
Old 13 May 2006, 05:50   #12
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

For IBM/Hitachi drives you can use Feature Tool to set the APM (power management which includes spin-down) and other settings. I'm sure there are similar tools for other brands.

You need to run these on a PC (usually DOS based) but you only need to set the drives once.
Old 13 May 2006, 05:54   #13
adolescent