English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 27 November 2008, 00:06   #1
AmigaJules

WinUAE/ClassicWB/Real A1200 install questions

Hope I'm posting this to the right forum, none of the others seemed appropriate for this level of newbness

I'm trying to get bloodwych's (thanks for the early download! ) classic WB lite installed onto a real 2.5" hard disk (via WinUAE) that will then be moved back into an A1200.

I've partitioned & formatted the disk in the A1200 with a 300MB workbench partition (DH0) a 2GB games (DH1) and about 1.7GB stuff (DH2). I've moved the disk into my Windows machine, started winuae and built a stock A1200 (2MB ram, no fpu, etc.) configuration using both the real hard drive and the System.hdf from the classic WB pack.

I can boot this system from an emulated WB 3.1 disk and get a desktop with disk icons for the partitions I created on the real disk, as well as "System" "Clear RAM" "Files" "Games" etc. icons that I assume are from the CWB.

I don't know how to copy the contents of the System.hdf onto my Workbench partition - which seems to be the final step in getting this working. Can anyone shed some light on this? Or tell me if I'm doing it the hard way?
Old 27 November 2008, 03:37   #2
Crackersixx

Well you've got 98% of it done.
The copy command from the cli can do the rest...

From the Workbench menu, select "Execute Command"
Then type "newcli"

in the window that opens do your copy..

for example: everything from dh1: to dh0:

copy dh1: all to dh0:

Good reference: http://www.ghira.mistral.co.uk/amiga/newbie.html

Last edited by Crackersixx; 27 November 2008 at 03:39. Reason: Added good CLI Link...
Old 27 November 2008, 15:30   #3
AmigaJules

Thank you!

I thought the cli was the way to go, but was stuck on the disk names. Finally figured out that the cwb system.hdf was assigned to dh1_0 (i guess because I'd already created a dh1) even though winuae's hard disk tab shows it at dh1.

That amiga newbie link is great too. Helps me wrap my windows/linux brain around amiga dos concepts.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 27 November 2008, 17:48   #4
AmigaJules

OK, now onto the next hurdle(s)...

My first disk had some smart errors (reallocated sector count was through the roof) so I replaced it and went through the install procedure again, so far so good.

But, when I put the disk into my A1200 and start it up, the screen stays black. I should note here that my A1200 has an svideo mod and that's how I have it connected to my LCD's svideo input. With a regular workbench floppy, or a regular workbench install to the hard disk, it works fine.

With the CWB prepared hard disk, I can see the amiga initialize the video hardware (display goes slightly purple), then the hard disk activity light is busy while it loads WB, but the display stays black.

Does CWB setup a display mode or something that isn't compatible with my svideo out?

EDIT: D'oh! CWB uses PAL hires by default. I put the disk back into my winuae pc, switched the prefs to use NTSC hires and it's working fine in the A1200.

I also have a pcmcia>CF adapter that I'd like to use for moving files back and forth to my windows PC. It looks like I have to put the cfd driver into the devs folder on my system disk and that I also need a fat or fat32 driver?

Last edited by AmigaJules; 27 November 2008 at 18:04. Reason: found the answer to my question
Old 27 November 2008, 19:03   #5
Bloodwych

Yeah, the packs aren't really 100% fire and forget solution and they do require work to customize to the users specific needs.

AmigaSYS has a much better install script, allowing the user to select screen resolution, hardware etc using the shell Reqestchoice command - but I just can't be bothered to write one similar. Dary is far more dedicated!

Thanks for trying it out anyway AmigaJules and I'm glad you seem to be getting somewhere. I'm not sure about the adaptor, but placing a driver in Devs and finding a fat32 reader sounds about right from other threads I've read in the past.

Hope you get everything sorted.
Old 01 December 2008, 22:11   #6
AmigaJules

OK, have everything sorted out now!

Adding pcmcia/cf support was as easy as installing the cfd and fat95 packages from aminet - had some help by searching the forums here for "pcmcia + fat95"

I really like the right click "context menu" (is that what you call it under amiga os?) that's setup by default in the classic workbench pack.

I've used both the classic workbench UAE & classic workbench lite (on an unexpanded a1200) and have to say they provide a great out-of-the-box experience for someone new to the Amiga. No telling how long it would take me to build equivalent functionality from a base workbench install.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around video modes, pal/ntsc & how to get whdload's to work with the limited memory in my a1200, but at least with the pcmcia support now working, I can seal up both the 1200 & my windows pc and not have to shut them down to move the hard disk around.

Anyway, thanks again for the CWB packs Bloodwych. They're great!
Old 07 February 2009, 21:27   #7
kixs

I have a HDF image of real amiga HDD. How do I make a restore with WinUAE?
Old 08 February 2009, 12:15   #8
leytond
MY 1200 IS AWSOME

Send a message via MSN to leytond
hey ive had the same probs, cant get this classicwb to work at all, i have a 3.5" hdd, that wont connect to my pc, due to the fact that i have only sata 2 conectors, and i cant find a way to get the classicwb straight onto a real amiga, it says extract the system.zip file, but there aint one , ???, i dont have a cf card and ive tried evrything to get the files to work, over 2 weaks now and still no joy.
is there a way of finding the system.zip file and if so where, someone must have extracted it and posted it someware,
Old 08 February 2009, 16:22   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixs View Post
I have a HDF image of real amiga HDD. How do I make a restore with WinUAE?
Hi kixs,

Launch WinUAE and mount the HDF image and the real Amiga HDD as hard drives, then start the emulation and copy all the files in the image to the real hard drive.

prowler

PS. Sorry this reply has taken so long. I was going to post it yesterday, but I received a PM just before I started it and by the time I had dealt with that I had forgotten this thread. I finally remembered it just now.
Old 08 February 2009, 19:01   #10
kixs

prowler:
thanks for reply. In the mean time I did just that...

But I thought I could do a full hdd restore from an image with file system (like sector copy - Ghost, Acronis True Image on PC). That would be nice
Old 08 February 2009, 19:16   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixs View Post
prowler:
thanks for reply. In the mean time I did just that...

But I thought I could do a full hdd restore from an image with file system (like sector copy - Ghost, Acronis True Image on PC). That would be nice
Hi kixs,

It's good to hear that you got the image restored to the hard disk using that method.

The methods I know about for imaging hard disks on the PC rely on the disk being mounted and assigned a drive letter, so I'm not aware of anything which would work for an Amiga-formatted hard drive.

On the Amiga, what would be required is an HDF imaging utility for hard disks like the ADF imaging programs that work with floppy disks, only I have not heard of one of those either.

Amiga Explorer can be used to transfer an HDF image of an Amiga hard disk to a PC. I'm not certain that this tool can be used to restore the image back to the hard disk later on. If it did work, it would be very slow.

Out of interest, how did you create the backup image originally?

prowler
Old 08 February 2009, 20:17   #12
kixs

It was created via WinUAE. I did an image a few years ago and now I wanted to do a restore, but didn't find any option in WinUAE.