English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 08 October 2013, 01:33   #61
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
properly configed fblit (as per fblit docs for os35/39) + cgx-aga provides a nice speed up and frees up chipmem. Although no luck using it with amiwolf

Back when I got my ppc card all those years ago, there were some rtg only apps in which some had a chance of working using the cgx driver and ive used it since this time. Isis mpeg/vcd player I think was one of them. Worked great for its time before frogger/amp were developed.

CybergraphXBugFix only caused me grief running it on top of cgxaga, but without installing it again re-testing stuff I cant remember what failed with it. I just put it down to patching something that isn't broken, at least with v4 libraries.
Old 08 October 2013, 03:01   #62
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
CGX-AGA is the monitor driver which works great. Cyberbugfix is a CybergraphX patch which breaks more then it supposedly fixes. The only changes I've ever made to a default fblit config is those recommended for os35/39 icon support and this works great in conjunction with cgx-aga v3driver +cgx v4 libraries. (Official phase5 CgxV3 version, I don't know what the Aminet version is all about.)
Hiya Matt,

I never knew this, I thought CGX-AGA was Cyberbugfix

I've been staying that Cyberbugfix is more trouble than it's worth for ages but not everyone agrees with me

So CGX-AGA allows you to run RTG software on an AGA machine or does it provide AGA to RTG systems? (yes I'm still confused)

I'd imagine it would be very slow to emulate RTG on an AGA machine and not really that useful either as most RTG programs need at at least 640x480 8bit.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 08 October 2013 at 03:07.
Old 08 October 2013, 03:08   #63
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Just my thoughts, but I don't believe CGX-AGA will make more for AGA, and the more important is that it won't work with your ports either.

Anyway I believe there must be a way to avoid the conflicts with -only- your wonderful ports . KillerGorilla skipped them with his KGLoad Beta program.

Meanwhile, CWB and AmiKit Real have/will have a "disabled" option to run them right when using OS39 -well they need a painful reboot-

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 October 2013 at 03:26.
Old 08 October 2013, 03:37   #64
NovaCoder

Thanks for the kind words

As each Amiga is set up slightly differently, it's impossible to code something that will work for everyone

I just did a quick Google search, it seems that CGX-AGA really is an RTG driver for AGA machines. I'd really like to know what the performance is like, I have enough trouble getting good speed out of AGA by 'banging the hardware' so to go through another layer is probably not so great?

Maybe I should try and run ScummVM RTG on my AGA 1200 as a test
Old 08 October 2013, 10:27   #65
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I just did a quick Google search, it seems that CGX-AGA really is an RTG driver for AGA machines. I'd really like to know what the performance is like, I have enough trouble getting good speed out of AGA by 'banging the hardware' so to go through another layer is probably not so great?
WB feels significantly faster with CGX-AGA than without, but it is probably doubtful whether it will do anything for your games, since it still can't exceed AGA speed. I'm guessing it just improves the API between WB and AGA and has optimized methods for moving a window etc.? If they have some really clever optimizations it might help, but otherwise it is just adding another layer as you write, which usually does not help on speed.
Old 08 October 2013, 13:57   #66
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Using cgx aga you get to use the Supergels and Superlayers feature of CybergraphX. (Make use of the CybergraphX commodity to edit settings) This helps the Solid window moving patch of mcp among many other things.

Speaking of which, I never understood why a 'system friendly' standalone SolidWindows and SolidwindowsMoving patch has never existed outside of mcp.

Edit: Playing with the different versions it seems the AGA Driver included in CGXv3 is tied to the Phase5 040/060 libraries, so the Aminet version is to be used on other configurations. Just ignore the included cyberbugfix is my opinion anyway

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 08 October 2013 at 14:37.
Old 12 October 2013, 19:21   #67
Bloodwych

Retrofan, does running the command C:CGX-AGA (from the Aminet pack) before C:Cyberbugfix solve some of your problems?

After all, CyberBugfix is meant to be a CGX-AGA companion according to the notes. I just run CyberBugfix by itself in the CWB35/9 packs and see no difference but can easily add CGX-AGA to the startup sequence if it fixes anything.

Or could do what Mad-Matt suggests and only run CGX-AGA (although AWeb has trashed browser buttons in OS35 for some unknown reason - funnily enough, the CyberBugfix readme states that it fixes trashed browser icons in iBrowse so perhaps it's the same bug when running AWeb and OS35).

I can't see why we need CyberBugfix or CGX-AGA in the Devs/Monitors drawers. It's not as if it's a user-selectable screenmode in the screen prefs or anything.
Old 12 October 2013, 19:49   #68
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, the "problem" appears only when I delete it from monitors (too) to disable Cyberbugfix. You only see that WBStartup++ (a program that displays the icons you've got on WBStartup/Enabled from left to right, Mac style) without that file shows the icons with grey background instead of faked transparency. It doesn't depends on the delay to open it, it will make the same if you try "Simulate" a while after you've booted.

I don't know if it will affect other program. It gives me the impresion to be using some of the rtg options of Cyberbug.

CGX-AGA doesn't make anything visible here or with the chip ram. Haven't tested it much though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
I can't see why we need CyberBugfix or CGX-AGA in the Devs/Monitors drawers. It's not as if it's a user-selectable screenmode in the screen prefs or anything.
I coudn't either, but that's what's written at the instructions

EDIT: Forget all. I don't find anywhere it has to be there. The error must be by another cause then. My apologies.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 October 2013 at 20:00.
Old 12 October 2013, 20:35   #69
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Edited: This is for going crazy. Let's see: It isn't written NOWHERE you've got to put CyberbugFix on monitors too. That's a fact.

Now install on CWB39 WBStartup++ (http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/wbstartup++) and using cyberbugfix try with cyberbugfix on monitors and not.
Edit: Bad day for me. No, I was trying with CWB with CGX disabled. It works right with it enabled, without CGX-AGA too.

Edit: I thought I had it. If I install CGX-AGA on C and also on the s-s before FBlit, I can delete CyberbugFix of monitors and it keeps working right. Somehow it was "patching" it being there.
All the confusion comes from the lines in black, since there isn't any CGX-AGA on the archive we used. The complete one with it has been already posted.

"4) disable FAllocMem and FAllocBitMap features of FBlit, if you use
it, and move FBlit in your startup-sequence AFTER CGXAGA monitor
starting (but before CyberBugfiX)
."

It seems I have something wrong that it's fixed with CGX-AGA or Cyberbugfix on monitors. ¿?

Edit: Yes, C:CyberbugFix was "too down" on the s-s.

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 October 2013 at 00:39.
Old 13 October 2013, 15:33   #70
Bloodwych

I tried WBStartup++ in CWB35 and as you said it works fine with the transparent tool type enabled and CyberBugfix only (no CGX-AGA in startup-sequence).

Speaking of which, here is someone using the CGX-AGA pack to play Wolfinstein MAC version on a 030 Amiga! Just to confirm it is an RTG driver for AGA.

[ Show youtube player ]

I'd imagine you need CGX-AGA in the startup sequence for the AGA screenmodes to show up in RTG programs as long as the program doesnt require higher than 8-bit colour support. If it does, it probably won't work anyway on AGA.

However, I have no RTG 8-bit programs lying around to test. I'd like to know if CyberBugfix can be used as a stand alone, or if CGX-AGA is actually required in the Startup-Sequence. It states in the CyberBugfix readme that it started out as a CGX-AGA companion, but then went on to become something more - obviously it still uses the cgxsystem.library.

The CGX-AGA executable itself (which says in the readme it's a replacement for CGXAGA that comes with the CGXv3 pack) on Aminet can be used in place of CyberBugfix - it's only about 260k - and you still get the CHIPRAM savings. However then I get the trashed browser icons in OS35 and not sure if it's missing the other fixes like memory leak etc listed under the CyberBugfix readme.

At the moment I'm leaving it as running Cyberbugfix executable only without CGX-AGA executable, until I have a reason to do otherwise.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 13 October 2013 at 17:02.
Old 13 October 2013, 15:50   #71
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, yesterday I had some mistakes: I tried on CWB, but it had CGX disabled, that's why the WBStartup++ only was working right when adding CyberbugFix to monitors, as it makes CyberbugFix to run again (you see the monitors as CGX...). On my AmiKit I had CGX too down on the s-s, so without the file on monitors it wasn't working. It's rare but it works. Anyway I will change that on the 05 update. So no, CGX-AGA doesn't seem necessary (at least for the chip saving) and Cyberbugfix doesn't has to be on monitors.

There was some other program Mad-Matt talked about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Back when I got my ppc card all those years ago, there were some rtg only apps in which some had a chance of working using the cgx driver and ive used it since this time. Isis mpeg/vcd player I think was one of them. Worked great for its time before frogger/amp were developed..
Unfortunately the only Isis player on Aminet is for PPC. I would like to try some program.
Edit:... Or perhaps Nova can release some beta to try.

Edit: There is a list of programs to try. If you open Interleaved inside Envarc/Cybergraphx. Riva is one of them so I will try.

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 October 2013 at 21:34.
Old 21 October 2016, 12:29   #72
MoRetro

DM2.6 doesn't work with CyberBugFix

Hi Guys,

I'm using CWB 3.9.
A couple of days back i Tried DM2.5.30a and it worked then i wanted to try DiskMaster 2.6. I noticed that i could not see any text in the windows of DM2.6.
With the MinBoot-Sequence it worked like it should
I've systematically compared the Startup-Sequence and the MinBoot-Sequence.
I've switched the differences one by one off until DM2.6 started & was visible. See pictures
The problem was with the CyberBugFix. Once that was switched of it worked. However i noticed some strange things happening to the free memory. This went from 130MB to 34 MB !?
After Quitting DM2.6 the memory won't come back.

So still a couple of questions:
Why doesn't DM2.6 work well with CyberBugFix enabled?
Why does DM2.6 give this memory problem?
See the picture that shows that even when quitting DM2.6, the memory is not freed up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DM2.0 OK.png
Views:	344
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	50544

Name:	DM2.6 Problem.png
Views:	180
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	50542Click image for larger version

Name:	DM2.6 Problem Low Res.png
Views:	160
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	50541

Name:	Memory at startup-No CyberBugFix.png
Views:	182
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	50546Click image for larger version

Name:	DM2.6 works but Memory reduced-No CyberBugFix.png
Views:	183
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	50545Click image for larger version

Name:	DM2.6 Closed but WB reports also less Memory-No CyberBugFix.png
Views:	201
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	50547
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DM2.6 working in Minimum Startup.png
Views:	190
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	50543  

Last edited by MoRetro; 22 October 2016 at 12:00.
Old 22 October 2016, 03:14   #73
NovaCoder

CyberBugFix is a horrible hack, I advise you not to use it.
Old 22 October 2016, 12:23   #74
MoRetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
CyberBugFix is a horrible hack, I advise you not to use it.
First of all I must express my gratitude to Bloodwych and all others that contributed to the CWB Project. Thanks for all the effort that you're putting in.

Thanks for the warning Novacoder.
But why does Bloodwych leave it in CWB3.9 then?

Just for info:
When CBWorkbench 3.9 is started i've got with CyberBugFix: 1,685,896 Chip / 136,140,120 Fast
Without CyberBugFix i've got 1,341,192 Chip / 136,799,936 FAST

All the best,
Old 22 October 2016, 15:01   #75
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRetro View Post
...Thanks for the warning Novacoder.
But why does Bloodwych leave it in CWB3.9 then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRetro View Post
...Just for info:
When CBWorkbench 3.9 is started i've got with CyberBugFix: 1,685,896 Chip / 136,140,120 Fast
Without CyberBugFix i've got 1,341,192 Chip / 136,799,936 FAST
You've answered yourself

I don't know Diskmaster, but if it makes what I think, then use Directory Opus that is the best.

It seems you've find the second program I've heard in years that doesn't work right with CyberBugFix. The other is ScummVMAGA by Novacoder...
Old 22 October 2016, 21:09   #76
MoRetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
You've answered yourself

I don't know Diskmaster, but if it makes what I think, then use Directory Opus that is the best.

It seems you've find the second program I've heard in years that doesn't work right with CyberBugFix. The other is ScummVMAGA by Novacoder...
CyberBugFix is like Russian Roulette then.
I like both DiskMaster and DOpus, but for now i will continue using DiskMaster 2.5.30a instead of 2.6.

I'm planning next week to install this CWB3.9 CF in my A600 with vampire 2. The Vampire 2 has his own chipram saver, so i won't need the Russian "CyberBugFix" Roulette anymore

All the best,
Old 23 October 2016, 14:47   #77
trixster
Guru Meditating

Has anyone actually found a use for cgx-aga on an aga Amiga? I've run it on and off for a few months on my a1200 and can't work out whether it's actually doing anything!
Old 23 October 2016, 14:57   #78
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Has anyone actually found a use for cgx-aga on an aga Amiga? I've run it on and off for a few months on my a1200 and can't work out whether it's actually doing anything!

Yes. Use 250 colors and open a large volume and select to view them all as names. You'll notice the chip difference.
Old 23 October 2016, 15:24   #79
trixster
Guru Meditating

Interesting. I'll give that a try, however I'm running 16 colours, not 256. Does it gave much benefit on lower colour system?
Old 23 October 2016, 15:50   #80
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Try the same with 16 colors and you can answer yourself. Read the post of MoRetro, 300Kb benefit.