English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 June 2021, 20:25   #1
oRBIT
Zone Friend

Configuring WinUAE setup to use entire screen?

Did a clean install today but I'm still struggling with making my Workbench setup to use the entire screen.
I've tried adjust "Overscan"-settings in Workbench and that fixes it a bit but still, there's lots of space on my screen to utilize.
I'm not running any graphicscard emulation, do I need to do that?
I've tried running Multiscan/DBLPAL etc but can't still get rid of the "bars" to the left or right.
See screenshot.
Hints?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210601-202108241.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	894.4 KB
ID:	72157  
Old 01 June 2021, 22:57   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You can't fill your widescreen display completely with 4:3/5:4 aspect ratio Amiga resolutions. You can select "16:9" (Filter tab -> Aspect Ratio Correction) in WinUAE. But then the image is horizontal stretched. And when you use the "Zoom" option you cut portions of the top/buttom. So, there is no ideal solution to that. If the black bars really annoys you have to get a 4:3 monitor.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 01 June 2021 at 23:32.
Old 01 June 2021, 23:08   #3
Fiery Phoenix

Ok - been messing round with this recently too. For me in the Filter section - Automatic Scaling worked best

Whole screen filled out nicely, no black borders
Old 01 June 2021, 23:21   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

"Full Screen TV" scaling seems to work too. But anyway, far away from real pixel/aspect ratio.
Old 01 June 2021, 23:26   #5
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Ok - been messing round with this recently too. For me in the Filter section - Automatic Scaling worked best

Whole screen filled out nicely, no black borders
But stretched, no doubt. Even worse than the original bars.

Honestly, I fail to see why black bars on displays bother people so much, both here and with movie and TV show aspect ratios.
Old 01 June 2021, 23:37   #6
Fiery Phoenix

To be honest I don't think it looks stretched - check for yourself. It's the best full screen config I have seen (prob more, but of the ones I have checked)
Old 01 June 2021, 23:42   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

What you think happens if you scale a 4:3/5:4 resolution to wide screen? Depends on the icon set how stretched it looks i guess. Draw a "Circle" in Dpaint and you see it. Looks more like a football or an egg.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 02 June 2021 at 00:19.
Old 02 June 2021, 00:03   #8
Fiery Phoenix

Not sure what the difference between automatic scaling and automatic resize are - looked the same on my setup when I tried them out.

These are the shots with automatic scaling and none for Turrican 2

Old 02 June 2021, 00:07   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Not sure what the difference between automatic scaling and automatic resize are - looked the same on my setup when I tried them out.

These are the shots with automatic scaling and none for Turrican 2

Looked the same, did they? What about the black bars in the second picture, preserving the aspect ratio?
Old 02 June 2021, 00:14   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Games often have big black black borders. Turrican is pretty easy to scale and preserve the ratio. Fill the whole screen with e.g. the Workbench and programs and you see it's stretched like my DPaint image above.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 02 June 2021 at 00:21.
Old 02 June 2021, 00:16   #11
Fiery Phoenix

They do not look the same from the thumbnails - but if you click the left pic, nothing has been cropped out from changing to automatic scaling. I don't think the automatic scaling option makes the game looked stretched at all.

Just personal preference I suppose - I have just been playing around with the settings recently to see the different options. Depends on the game also, some suit a border, some play better in full screen.

Not sure if anyone ever messes with the other filter settings, i.e. to supereagle? I take it that just sharpens things up? Tried it on Kick Off 2 and sprites actually looked better (again, imho)

Edit - just seen reply Retro-Nerd - makes sense that
Old 02 June 2021, 00:24   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

If you want to code or maybe doing some music it's fine. But doing graphics and mostly gaming/demos doesn't look good in a stretched aspect. Well, some don't care anyway.

But as a hint: Try Hybris scaled like that.
Old 02 June 2021, 00:41   #13
Fiery Phoenix

Good example that, just tested it. Whilst in the no scaling mode, hell of a lot easier - similar aspect ratio to arcade Flying Shark.
Old 02 June 2021, 01:48   #14
Rotareneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Honestly, I fail to see why black bars on displays bother people so much, both here and with movie and TV show aspect ratios.
I payed for all these pixels, and dang it, I'm going to use them all!

I used to work at a theater+sports bar that had a full sized theater screen in the bar. If there was some popular event being shown in TV that was only broadcast in 4x3, you'd inevitably get people complaining that it was "shrunk down" and that they wanted the full size. Ok, sure... enjoy your comically deformed lacrosse game...
Old 02 June 2021, 11:46   #15
Foebane
Banned

@Rotareneg

I get your point, there are many people like that.

But doesn't Workbench have user-defined screen resolutions? If 68040+ demos can use custom widescreen resolutions that fit within the 320x256 of a PAL screen, and the Amiga Workbench desktop can be set to insanely huge resolutions, can't a resolution like 1920x1080 or higher be set on Workbench itself? Or is the Amiga still confined to a 4:3 "viewing window", so to speak?
Old 02 June 2021, 16:58   #16
Rotareneg

It's just that the stock screenmodes are all designed for 4:3 NTSC/PAL/VGA monitors. If you want square pixels and a full screen 16:9 display you're going to need a custom screenmode to do so on the native hardware. Or just use RTG as that's sort of the point behind it anway?