English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 March 2021, 08:59   #241
Herpes
... aka Amix73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Most likely your monitor can't do 49.92Hz vertical. You can try Line3x or Line4x if your monitor has enough resolution, but none of these affect the frequency.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes unfortunately it seem so. I wrongly assumed the OSSC would increase the frequency to a a level that it is within the limits of any hdmi display.

Annoyingly the 30€ "3rca HDMI video converter" (the common from ebay) can convert the Amiga-Signals and C64 signals to 480p 720p an 1080p so it is well displayed on the same 27" Acer - but with some artifacts - so not 100% what I would want to have since it has some artifacts but at least usable.

I ordered a new hdmi monitor which should be able to display from 30Hz++ - I am curious if it then works.
Old 12 March 2021, 07:47   #242
friendpicksd

I'm anxious to get one

Sent from my website: kem chong nang cho da dau mun - kem chong nang innisfree perfect uv protection cream co tot khong - Kem chong nang Vichy Ideal Soleil SPF 50 Mattifying Face Fluid Dry Touch co tot khong?

Last edited by friendpicksd; 28 April 2021 at 10:35.
Old 18 May 2021, 13:33   #243
rabidgerry

I'm thinking about digging my OSSC out of storage again and using it. I never did crack setting it up. I have one question though as this time around I am using it with a monitor that only has VGA or DVI.

Am I able to use a HDMI to DVI cable for the output or do I need some sort of active converter?

I don't think i need to run the sound into the OSSC, as I can just go direct from the Amiga into my monitor. Unless of course there is some benefit of running into the OSSC and then taking that audio out from the OSSC and running into my monitor?
Old 18 May 2021, 13:36   #244
demolition
Unregistered User

It will work fine with a passive HDMI->DVI converter, however you will probably need to change the setting in the OSSC to make it output DVI video. Sending HDMI data (with audio) will not work with most DVI-only monitors.

And since you're using DVI, there's no reason to pass the audio into the OSSC.
Old 18 May 2021, 14:46   #245
rabidgerry

Well I was just going to get a cable would that do as opposed to a converter?

Yes that is what I was thinking regarding the audio, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 18 May 2021, 14:51   #246
sneeker

With my old dvi only dell, everything I connected through a hdmi and the passive adapters worked fine, just with no audio as expected, I just had one of those cheap scart-hdmi scalers from ebay in the middle to pull the audio out to my speakers.
Old 18 May 2021, 14:52   #247
demolition
Unregistered User

An HDMI-DVI cable is the same as a HDMI cable with a HDMI-DVI converter/adapter at the end so yes that will work.

My OSSC has DVI out so I actually use a DVI-HDMI adapter into an HDMI switcher and then a HDMI-DVI cable to the monitor which only has DVI.
Old 18 May 2021, 15:38   #248
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
An HDMI-DVI cable is the same as a HDMI cable with a HDMI-DVI converter/adapter at the end so yes that will work.

My OSSC has DVI out so I actually use a DVI-HDMI adapter into an HDMI switcher and then a HDMI-DVI cable to the monitor which only has DVI.
I'm guessing that is an older model then? If it had a HDMI first of all?

Can the firmware be upgraded on any model?
Old 18 May 2021, 15:48   #249
demolition
Unregistered User

The early version had DVI output and no audio support. This is the one I have.
Later revisions received an audio A/D converter and HDMI output.

The FW is upgraded using the uSD slot (and it is highly recommended to do so if you're on an old one):
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?t...og_and_roadmap
Old 18 May 2021, 23:53   #250
rabidgerry

Quote:
The early version had DVI output and no audio support. This is the one I have.
Later revisions received an audio A/D converter and HDMI output.

The FW is upgraded using the uSD slot (and it is highly recommended to do so if you're on an old one):
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?t...og_and_roadmap
Think mine is 1.4 or something. More goodness with the updated firmware?

My main complaint I think when I first tried the ossc was I couldn't get it to fill my TV screen size which was 16:9 32". This time I have a 19" 5:4 monitor so should be no issues there. I hope!
Old 19 May 2021, 06:40   #251
admiral
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Am I able to use a HDMI to DVI cable for the output or do I need some sort of active converter?
A cable will do.
But OSSC has a setting for HDMI vs DVI output, which you should probably set to DVI.
If you've had the OSSC in storage for a long time, it is probably programmed with an out of date core; You should upgrade it.
Old 19 May 2021, 07:51   #252
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
My main complaint I think when I first tried the ossc was I couldn't get it to fill my TV screen size which was 16:9 32". This time I have a 19" 5:4 monitor so should be no issues there. I hope!
People tend to forget that even on an original monitor like C=1084S, there still was large black borders on most games. One reason is that most games only used 200 lines out of 256 so they could use the same graphics for NTSC, but also because it was 'expensive' to utilize the border fully so many of the earlier games did not do this.

If your 19" monitor has a 1280x1024 resolution, then it is an exact 4x doubling to go from 320x256 (which is the normal low res PAL res) to 1280x1024. This means that Line4x mode might be the way to go with scaling on the monitor set to 1:1. Alternatively you can do Line2x scaling to 640x512 and then let the monitor to the upscaling to the panel. It will be a bit more blurry using the last choice but might still look better overall and will soften the scanlines as well if you are using those.
Old 19 May 2021, 12:14   #253
Jope
-

320x256 has borders on the Amiga though, unless you configure the OSSC's sampling to only sample the initial CLI window. But now we have a problem - the game can display its graphics in any location of the viewport, your crop settings might not fully show the game once again.

To me the only solution for Amiga use is to sample max overscan and let the software display where it ends up displaying. This means nothing but my workbench will ever fill the screen. :-)
Old 19 May 2021, 12:23   #254
demolition
Unregistered User

Another solution would be to save a few different presets in the OSSC which samples different parts of the window. Then it is just a press on the remote if the screen is off to the top or bottom. But otherwise I agree - just accept the black borders as part of the retro experience unless you were the type who constantly fiddled with the offset dials on your CRT monitor.
Old 19 May 2021, 13:26   #255
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
A cable will do.
But OSSC has a setting for HDMI vs DVI output, which you should probably set to DVI.
If you've had the OSSC in storage for a long time, it is probably programmed with an out of date core; You should upgrade it.
Thought as much regarding the cable/adapter because it's a digital signal so no actual converting or anything and since I'm not using the audio a cable would do rightly.

I'll get that firmware updated then ASAP.

Quote:
People tend to forget that even on an original monitor like C=1084S, there still was large black borders on most games. One reason is that most games only used 200 lines out of 256 so they could use the same graphics for NTSC, but also because it was 'expensive' to utilize the border fully so many of the earlier games did not do this.

If your 19" monitor has a 1280x1024 resolution, then it is an exact 4x doubling to go from 320x256 (which is the normal low res PAL res) to 1280x1024. This means that Line4x mode might be the way to go with scaling on the monitor set to 1:1. Alternatively you can do Line2x scaling to 640x512 and then let the monitor to the upscaling to the panel. It will be a bit more blurry using the last choice but might still look better overall and will soften the scanlines as well if you are using those.
Oh yes of course. I'm used with the black borders from games, was talking more from the workbench screen as a base. I never know what settings to use in workbench and with my equipment I've always had to select lo-res. Always wondered how to use the other settings and what the benefits where etc, well I mean the hi-res and super hi-re stuff and interlaced modes and all that. So thanks for that info above. I shall try the 4xmode to begin with.
Old 19 May 2021, 18:53   #256
rabidgerry

well that's the firmware updated to v0.88

Just waiting on my cable arriving now for HDMI - DVI-D
Old 19 May 2021, 21:57   #257
frozen

I have OSSC with the RGB output A1200 and I can say that after fixing the configuration it is great with the DELL U2410 ... no lag during games
Old 19 May 2021, 22:01   #258
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Of course no lag at all. It's a Line 2x-5x device, not a video scaler which needs processing time.

Though the newer Retro-Tink 5x is a good development in the right direction, with the low lag video scaling. But it's expensive and with the current firmware quite unsuable for PAL content.
Old 20 May 2021, 13:52   #259
rabidgerry

Actually noticed my NEC Multisync has a Display Port. Would HDMI to display port be a better way than HDMI to DVI? Just curious. Already have the DVI cable on the way.
Old 20 May 2021, 21:54   #260
frozen

HDMI to Dispaly port is too expensive with no quality gain.....