English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 October 2002, 05:44   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Metal Gear series

I've been enjoying Metal Gear Solid lately, and I just want to share to you people how much I love this fantastic series of games.

I've played the first Metal Gear on MSX, when it was still new, and the game gobsmacked me since the start. Instead of rushing and killing everyone with a big gun, you had to use stealth to avoid confrotation at all costs. Never before I had played a game with a so strong storyline , and I recommend it to anyone. For a 15 years old game, it's still one of the best around... but..

...Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake came in 1990 , and it makes the originan Metal Gear look pale in comparision. An even stronger storyline, fantastic graphics for the MSX system, new weapon devices and inventive bosses make this one of the best games ever made in history of game. (Well.. the original Metal Gear deserves this mention too )

It took 9 years to Hideo Kojima touch Metal Gear again, but when he did it, he did an AMAZING job. Metal Gear Solid (Why they didn't call it Metal Gear 3 is a mistery to me) is quite simply one of the most fantastic experiences anyone may have with a video-game. An incredibly strong storyline (That put most of today hollywood movies to shame), very cool bosses , variated action.. man, if you have never played this game, DO IT now. I just can't tell how good this game is. I am playing it now, and when I finished it, I will want to play it again.. and again and again. And you see, the game doesn't try to be "Realistic", it just wants to be FUN to play, and boy, it is (The fact you are doing a different thing from time to time makes the game even better).

I am sad that Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Libery (And why not call it Metal Gear 4 ? ) was only released for the PS2. I probably won't have a PS2 any soon (It's too damn expensive for me), and you have no idea of HOW MUCH I WANT TO PLAY IT!

I've been reading that Metal Gear Solid 3 is about to be done, (For the X-Box first), and Hideo Kojima will be only involved in the pre-development of the game , as he said Metal Gear Solid 2 was the last time he would design a Metal Gear game. I hope Konami (And it's an unesful hope, I know) leave Metal Gear alone if Hideo Kojima doesn't want to do it anymore. He is truly the genious behind the game, and the proof is that every Metal Gear game Hideo Kojima didn't do wasn't very good: Metal Gear on any other machine but the MSX was ported by Ultra Games, and they added stuff and changed the storyline, and EVERYTHING they made in the game was lame. Snake's Revenge also done by them for the NES was crap, and Metal Gear Solid on gameboy isn't that good too...

Well.. if anyone has played Metal Gear Solid 2, please tell me how good it is
Old 29 October 2002, 22:28   #2
RetroMan

I played through MGS2 four times now (on easy, normal, hard and European Extrem Mode) and it´s really fantastic This is no more a game, it´s more like a movie with yourself involved !!

I can´t think of ANY game with nearly that gigantic, terrific athmosphere and the gameplay is absolutely fantastic If this game won´t make you buy a PS2, no game will
Old 29 October 2002, 23:09   #3
kriz

yeah Metal gear 2 is very good, it is as retroman said like movie

wow, I have never tried ANY of the old metal gear games, but they are all well known... And the way you talk about them I really wanna try them out, have to try them some day ...
Old 29 October 2002, 23:19   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Apparently the next installment will be out on the PC
Old 29 October 2002, 23:35   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Which next? MGS2, MGS2 Substance or MGS3 ? I was really hoping MGS2 was released for PC, as I don´t have the money to buy a PS2 now..

Now if its MGS3 (Which is scheduled to be released first for the X-Box), then I don´t know if it´s going to be so good, as this one won't be designed by Hideo Kojima...
Old 30 October 2002, 00:05   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
MGS2 Substance
from what one of the mags said last month (or was it the month before!) anyway it wasn't MGS2 and it def wasn't MGS3, it did have MGS2 in title so I guess it is Substance Looked like the PS2 version anyway (probably was )
Old 30 October 2002, 01:02   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

OOHHH MYY GOOODD.... yeah, I just confirmed that Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance is going to be released on X-Box, PS2 and PC.

Substance will have Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of liberty, plus hundreds of new VR missions plus , bonus modes and new adventures with Solid Snake... and from what I've read, unlike previous MGS, this one is going to be developed all in-house (PC's MGS was ported by Microsoft)

I hope my new PC system which I want to buy before the end of this year will be good enough to run it
Old 30 October 2002, 01:39   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

I See you are happy
Old 30 October 2002, 01:53   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Oh yes, I am I won't have to wait years til I can buy a PS2 just to play MGS 2

Hey Kriz, I reccomend you trying the MSX games, not the NES ones. Metal Gear was originally made for the MSX, and it was ported to other systems by Ultra Games (Konami of America), and they´ve added some stuff and changed other stuff (they changed the whole plot), and everything they made in the game is pish.
The real sequel for Metal Gear is Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake, created by Hideo Kojima, ONLY AVAILABLE ON MSX. The NES has a sequel called "Snake's Revenge" thar was all designed by Ultra Games, and NOT TOUCHED by Hideo Kojima. This game is the black sheep of the Metal Gear series, as it basically sucks.
Old 30 October 2002, 10:34   #10
Medvind

What exactly are the MSX? I don't think I've ever been in contact with it.
Old 30 October 2002, 11:15   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Erm..

the MSX is an 8-bits computer produced in Japan that was very popular in many countries in the 80s, including Japan, Brazil, Netherlands, URSS, Spain, Chile and many others. It had many games released for them, and a support of the big japanese game makers like Konami, Taito and Namco...

There's a big thread here in EAB regarding the MSX in "General Discussion"
Old 30 October 2002, 11:46   #12
kriz

hehe nice thanks for the info shatterhand ..
Old 30 October 2002, 13:02   #13
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

The MSX was unheard of in most of Europe and the USA.
Old 30 October 2002, 13:23   #14
Drake1009

I sure hadn't heard of it. But then I've been living in a box most of my life.
Old 30 October 2002, 14:09   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think it was unheard mainly in the UK, where the C64 was more popular.. and even that, once there was a mention of the MSX in The One magazine (In their Microcosm review)

It was known in Netherlands, Spain, Germany, URSS, and.. erm.. some ohter countries too

I also doubt it was known in USA, as USA only wanted PCs..

But MSX-DOS 1 was programmed by Microsoft ...