English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 September 2019, 05:47   #21
Anubis
Retro Gamer

What that games have to do with anything we said in this thread??

You're confusing me...
Old 13 September 2019, 12:52   #22
Anubis
Retro Gamer

No issues with other computer setup, so I assume it has to do with probably video card on other computer. It meets requirements, but that probably isn't enough itself. Tonight I might try to tweak thing or two on that setup, and/or disable screen zoom for UHD screen.
Old 14 September 2019, 15:23   #23
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I thought you would consider playing other RTS games since AoE, while forerunner in many aspects, bears rather antiquated game mechanisms, definitive edition or not. About the issues to run the game properly, maybe that particular version is to blame, being a resource hog. I mean your computer should be powerful enough theoretically.
Old 14 September 2019, 16:12   #24
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
No issues with other computer setup, so I assume it has to do with probably video card on other computer.
Using iGPU most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I thought you would consider playing other RTS games since AoE, while forerunner in many aspects, bears rather antiquated game mechanisms, definitive edition or not.
That's the point of playing a game from your childhood. You don't want to play AN RTS game, you want to re-live your childhood memories.
Old 14 September 2019, 20:48   #25
SquawkBox

AofE II definitive edition isn't issued yet (two more months waiting, check it here), so the OP
must be struggling with some pre-release version ridden with bugs. While you Shoons must have downloaded the 2013 released HD edition,
a much more polished version if I ain't being mislead.
Old 15 September 2019, 00:45   #26
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
AofE II definitive edition isn't issued yet (two more months waiting, check it here), so the OP
must be struggling with some pre-release version ridden with bugs. While you Shoons must have downloaded the 2013 released HD edition,
a much more polished version if I ain't being mislead.
You are quite off there, buddy.

Age of Empires Definitive Edition is remastered first game that is out now on steam (Shooney) and xBox Game Pass (myself). We are both talking about the same game, and yes, it requires minimum 1GB video card (my normal setup) and performs much better with 2GB and up video cards. (my other computer has 4GB video card)

What I don't understand that well optimized game used to run well even on Pentium 133MHz, how come this one requires so much more resources.

We both have AoE2 HD (now called 2013), and that game has nothing to do with this release of first game.

Attached is screenshot from user menu from this edition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-14 18_44_03-Age of Empires_ Definitive Edition - Aug 26 2019 - Build 28529.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	64472  
Old 15 September 2019, 01:35   #27
Shoonay
Global Caturator

LOL @ SquawkBox, it's been a while since I've seen someone so confused.

Quote:
What I don't understand that well optimized game used to run well even on Pentium 133MHz, how come this one requires so much more resources.
Probably went overboard with the engines features, making it future-proof for insane amounts of things to happen at once in their new games, but recreating this one uses like 10% of the engines features, yet the engine alone has it's specific requirements.

And come on. 1GB cards were a thing like 15 years ago. Just saying.
Old 15 September 2019, 02:51   #28
Irl

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I tried to because I was curious as to the exact mechanics behind it, but I'm having real trouble finding proof of it. I found a vague reddit post regarding path of exile, and not much else.

I can guess it has something to do with resource management where the task manager forces a high performance profile to be active...

Yeah I'm not that much of a foodie that I cook hardware.
2cents: Usually it has to do with whether the game is running in true fullscreen vs fullscreen windowed mode. A lot of console ported games on Windows will have a frame limit applied to the full screen video, but can be worked-around in windowed mode. It is possible that having Task Manager open, which has always-on-top mode will force the rendering into a window to allow task switching. Games for Windows Live support in a game usually results in a lot of BS problems like this, but games ported from console also suffer it.
Old 15 September 2019, 09:10   #29
SquawkBox

Process Lasso (shareware, bearing a trial period) from Bitsum software offers a Gaming Mode also called High Performance power plan.
I find it convenient to use as it is similar to a beefed-up Task Manager. Maybe you could give it a try in case your CPU
is busy dealing with background tasks.
Old 15 September 2019, 17:14   #30
Rotareneg

Quote:

Because it's yet another poorly made "Now in 4K!" port by a shameless corporation? I'm surprised they haven't released separate VR versions too...

I had been interested in the AOE2 version until I saw the reviews on Steam of the AOE1 rerelease: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...itive_Edition/
Old 16 September 2019, 14:05   #31
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Not so great start with Steam community...

@Shooney, as said, I have computer with better video card, but I run most of games on old laptop.
Old 21 September 2019, 22:45   #32
xubidoo

wonderful, I've preordered AOE 2 Definitive Edition because I'm above min specs but below Rec specs, thinking maybe now it might not have been such a good idea lol

Old 13 November 2019, 15:41   #33
Shoonay
Global Caturator

https://store.steampowered.com/app/813780

Out tomorrow, daaaaaaaaamn!
Old 13 November 2019, 16:31   #34
SquawkBox

Microshaft beta testers in spite of yourselves from all over the civilized world, rejoice!

Last edited by SquawkBox; 13 November 2019 at 21:01.
Old 14 November 2019, 07:07   #35
Shoonay
Global Caturator

~12GB preload is live on Steam, the game will unlock in ~9 hours
Old 14 November 2019, 18:39   #36
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Aaaaand it's out.

Be sure to add the free Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC to the game, it's only a ~16GB's download.

Last edited by Shoonay; 14 November 2019 at 18:56.
Old 14 November 2019, 18:43   #37
lesta_smsc

I'm sure graphics-wise, the original AOE was quite basic and the new version seems to have upgraded graphics which in turn means more resources required. I'm not sure if you remember, but during battles when there was a lot of people running about on screen, fighting between ships etc, there was an appreciable slow down and slight glitch in the sound... or at least there was on my PC 166MHz MMX!
Old 15 November 2019, 08:36   #38
SquawkBox

Official Windows 7 support hasn't ended yet (three more month to go) that the freshly released game requires Windows 10. Guess why ? Probably, Windows 10 adoption rate is not what MS expected amongst gamers. Also, lavish graphics won't help much if the game is unbalanced due to how the AI is said to be consistently hampered. Anyway, don't want to spoil the party, enjoy your definitive edition copy, folks.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 15 November 2019 at 14:52.