English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 November 2017, 10:53   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

AlarCity - PixelGlass is aiming for new heights for the Amiga with a campaign trailer

Quote:
You may remember our exclusive heads up in 2016 for the unofficial Amiga platformer overhaul of ' The Great Giana Sisters ', which was known as ' Giana Sisters Special Edition '; a remastered/overhauled release by a new label called Reimagine Games who focused on non commercial ports, hacks and remakes. However another label as PixelGlass was also created but instead was to focus on the commercial side for the Amiga! This new team of people are now aiming to impress, as they have recently announced the very latest AlarCity campaign trailer & preorder campaign.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/1...g-for-new.html

Old 24 November 2017, 13:22   #2
spudje

Say what? I already preordered and paid for the thing. Are they saying the game may not even be released (physically) when they don't get these 200 preorders?
Old 24 November 2017, 14:49   #3
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Hi Spudje, thanx for the support (and for bringing this up)!

It's important to note, for the sake of all those who have already preordered the game like you, that this campaign is not a 'take it or leave it' deal! Meaning that even if we fail to reach 200 preorders, the game's still gonna be finished and released (to the best of our abilities).

Having said that, succesfully reaching this goal will be a huge, huge help to our effort!
Working on Alarcity has been a major undertaking and we've already poured countless workhours into the project (plus all this work is done under difficult financial conditions). So, any help we get is crucial.

Hopefully this new trailer (and upcoming demo) illustrates in the best way possible -to both supporters and sceptics- our progress, determination and persistace to deliver a game, we and the community can really be proud of!
Old 24 November 2017, 15:19   #4
Gzegzolka

You did not change that background picture in main menu? I have always think that abstract thing was just a place holder that will be replaced with something more fitting. Any way I can not find any other cons. That gameplay looks awesome, so much tense and fast, I would love to play this
Old 24 November 2017, 17:48   #5
Overflow

I dont even want a phyiscal version of the game. Im all for downloads.

Ive also pre-ordered the game, and if they decide to go 100% digital, Im cool with that as long as the game is completed. If producing a boxed version will take away from the quality of the game (cause less time available to work on the game), then focus on the actual game.

Imho.
Old 24 November 2017, 22:21   #6
spudje

Thanks for the clarification. I now also understand that this campaign is actually just that, an increased marketing campaign to get the already available preorders sell more.

I saw a test version at Amiga32, and the game looks really really good guys. A must pre-order
Old 25 November 2017, 02:17   #7
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@Gzegzolka: It's still a place holder (kind of). Don't forget we're showcasing the new demo, not the final game. However, changing that pic is at the bottom of our priority list, plus it depends whether we get on our hands a more fitting concept art or not. We'll see

@Overflow: Making the game available as a physical version or digital only has zero implications to the game quality as it involves no real extra work. What trully affects this is the time we can devote to the project itself. Considering our dayjobs are game making related anyway (Erik's more than mine), this fund will help us continue pouring some serious prime time into it, as opposed to working on other contracts. It's really as simple as that.
Old 25 November 2017, 17:44   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Making the game available as a physical version or digital only has zero implications to the game quality as it involves no real extra work.
No, but it seems a physical copy does delay the release of the digital version. I am reading this as "the game is finished but we're gonna wait up and see if we can produce a physical copy run", maybe I am wrong, in which case you'd need to clarify.

There seems to be this obsession with physical copies to be sold to collecting hoarders, when time and time again in Amiga forums people always ask for digital copies (myself included) which I think you can push through more easily, quicker and with less hassle, and those are usually wanted by those who actually use/play Amiga games more.

I agree if you need extra money for support, but offering a physical version will not make you have more digital sales. I'd favor going all digital and pushing a pre-order.
Old 25 November 2017, 22:27   #9
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No, but it seems a physical copy does delay the release of the digital version. I am reading this as "the game is finished but we're gonna wait up and see if we can produce a physical copy run", maybe I am wrong, in which case you'd need to clarify.
Let me clarify then: Firstly no, the game is not finished (far from it). We still have to build the planned story mode, so we have many months of work yet to do.

Secondly we have already dealt with the issues of the physical copies from when we first announced the pre-orders (many months ago and thanks to Amiga.net.pl). So again no, there's no physical copy run to stop us (or will be in the future). As soon as we finish the game it's gonna be released.

To explain further: besides good will (or wishful thinking), it's all about pre-planning. F.e. all the physical stuff (box, manual, extras, e.t.c.) will be ready long before we put the final seal to the game, while the final cd prints will only take a few days give or take.

Quote:
There seems to be this obsession with physical copies to be sold to collecting hoarders, when time and time again in Amiga forums people always ask for digital copies (myself included) which I think you can push through more easily, quicker and with less hassle, and those are usually wanted by those who actually use/play Amiga games more.
Well, I'm in favor of digital copies myself and that's why we've pushed this from the get go : quicker, less hasle and cheaper for everyone if I may add. But physical copies also have their charm and there is solid demand for them. Some people are collectors, others just love the nostalgic feeling of geting a brand new game for their miggy into their hands, just like they did in their youth.

Personally I can understand and relate with both worlds.

Quote:
I agree if you need extra money for support, but offering a physical version will not make you have more digital sales. I'd favor going all digital and pushing a pre-order.
If that was true, then how come only 1/5 of out total presales so far are digital? We have initiated preorders nearly 10 months now and digital was an option from the very start.
So, where are all those digital backers if I may ask?

Anyway, I plan to go full transparent with the presales numbers (while that's a post for the new thread). This will also be interesting -I believe- for the whole community, a stress test if you like. There has been loads of speculation the past months about what method might work and what not in regards to Amiga game funding. So, it's about time to see in practice if the presales alternative (including the digital option) really works

Last edited by Tsak; 25 November 2017 at 22:32.
Old 26 November 2017, 00:02   #10
Overflow

I have a more boring/hippie view to boxed versions;

Its wasteful plastic, paper and transportation which increases pollution overall. I realise its so few copies that it doesnt matter at all. But its the principle of it.
Old 26 November 2017, 00:12   #11
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I have a more boring/hippie view to boxed versions;

Its wasteful plastic, paper and transportation which increases pollution overall. I realise its so few copies that it doesnt matter at all. But its the principle of it.
Your right (the first sentence) I hope your shop everything with no packaging and generate your own electricity and live off the land otherwise you are just a hippocrite, sorry but this will have zero impact on pollution
Old 26 November 2017, 00:34   #12
Overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Your right (the first sentence) I hope your shop everything with no packaging and generate your own electricity and live off the land otherwise you are just a hippocrite, sorry but this will have zero impact on pollution

Well, I do purchase food directly from local farmers, but I do not live under a tree, licking water off leafs.
Just saying minimizing where we can isnt a bad thing.
Old 26 November 2017, 00:48   #13
AmigaBill

Cool

Huge congrats to all the folks involved in Alar City. I played the demo and it is wonderful!!! Thanks for putting so much time into this passion project. As someone who still uses an Amiga in 2017 I can't tell you how much I appreciate your efforts. An new Amiga game in 2017??? Are you kidding me? I have so much respect for your team as well as all the other folks who make new games and hardware for the Amiga 32 years later. Here's to you
Old 26 November 2017, 02:15   #14
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
Huge congrats to all the folks involved in Alar City. I played the demo and it is wonderful!!! Thanks for putting so much time into this passion project. As someone who still uses an Amiga in 2017 I can't tell you how much I appreciate your efforts. An new Amiga game in 2017??? Are you kidding me? I have so much respect for your team as well as all the other folks who make new games and hardware for the Amiga 32 years later. Here's to you
Well said!

This game is sure going to be something special when it's finished.

Old 26 November 2017, 08:28   #15
Overflow

Indeed AmigaBill!

It looks extremely crisp and moves smooth/actionpaced.

Then you got the upgrade options, that will get me hooked for sure!
I remember how I loved upgrading on Speedball II, so this will keep me busy for sure
Old 26 November 2017, 16:25   #16
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Thanks for the supprt guys!!

@AmigaBill: You sir deserve also huge congrats for your work!!!
@Everyone: check Bill's fantastic channels:
The Guru Meditation: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYt...CrPzquW-5MZwmQ
Twitch AmigaBill: https://www.twitch.tv/amigabill

Btw, you've tried the very latest (unpublished) Alarcity playtest demo version (V1.0_P) right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Then you got the upgrade options, that will get me hooked for sure!
I remember how I loved upgrading on Speedball II, so this will keep me busy for sure
That's right!
Basically, did you guys know: Alarcity is the very first Amiga topdown shooter (not just of recent years) that comes with a leveling system and packed with so many upgrades and possible arsenal combinations?
Old 27 November 2017, 16:02   #17
AmigaBill

Aw, thanks Task you are too kind All this Amiga stuff is fun for me so it is my pleasure. Gives me a nice change of pace from the pressures of the real world and allows me to be a little creative and hang out with friends. Speaking of that, I will play the latest Alar City demo tomorrow on my Twitch stream and Earock will likely join in if his alarm clock works. When the game is released I will do a much more detailed show on both Twitch and The Guru Meditation YouTube. Too much fun! Here is the info about the stream tomorrow if anyone is around. If you are not able to watch live it will be archived.

LIVE STREAM Tomorrow 11/28/17 1:30pm EST/6:30pm UTC Amiga Bill plays the newest AlarCity Demo & ProjectX Special Edition 2017 with special guest, game designer Erik Hogan! Come party with us!!! EVENT INFO: https://www.twitch.tv/events/ip-9ZnTGQweQbwF_jDSjQA CHANNEL LINK: https://www.twitch.tv/amigabill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmigaBillTwitch_11_28_17_SMALL.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	55632  

Last edited by AmigaBill; 28 November 2017 at 00:53. Reason: Typo as usual
Old 27 November 2017, 17:20   #18
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
If that was true, then how come only 1/5 of out total presales so far are digital? We have initiated preorders nearly 10 months now and digital was an option from the very start.
So, where are all those digital backers if I may ask?
I'm sorry to read this and thanks for sharing this insight into your numbers.

My guess is that people are unwilling to pay 16 euros for a digital copy of a game being developed for years
Old 27 November 2017, 19:41   #19
Amigajay

Quote:
I'm sorry to read this and thanks for sharing this insight into your numbers.

My guess is that people are unwilling to pay 16 euros for a digital copy of a game being developed for years
I will probably buy the digital version out of those and burn the disc myself as I don’t like dvd boxes (why no jewel cases guys!?)
Old 27 November 2017, 20:34   #20
NeoHippie2016
Freak

For me as a hard core Collector dvd boxes and cd jewel cases, please!