English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 18 December 2020, 13:53   #101
rabidgerry

I notice if I swap out MMUlib 68060.library for the Apollo 68060.library v60.10 I get slightly faster results. This just an experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Hint ( ): With RemApollo you don't need MuFastZero, MuMove4k, MuFastRom and MuMapRom. Oh, and LoadModule. All the magic in one tool written for Apollo 040/060 cards.

So if I disable MuFastZero, MuMove4k, MuFastRom and MuMapRom, and just swap out these for RemApollo I should get better results again if I intend to mix both sets of tools?

I will try Drap and MuDrap.

So far I stripped all MMUlib stuff out of one HD and used solely the Apollo stuff and got better results.

So now with another drive I am going to splice the two and I remove certain things of the MMUlib toolset and then utilize RemApollo basics.
Old 18 December 2020, 18:22   #102
daxb

Usually there should be only marginal differences in speed. Btw. what and how do you measure it? The most tools just configure you system to a given state without any speed impacts. For example if you map the Kick ROM to fastram the speed is given by the speed of fastram access and not by the tool who map the ROM. Important is that the tool works as expected and has no side effects.

As already mentioned there should be no problem using RemApollo and MuTools. Just make sure you don't do the same thing twice.
Old 08 May 2023, 00:13   #103
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
Ah, this takes me back!

I was in the same position, same new card upgraded by Stachu. I had no idea about start-up sequences etc, but I followed NovaCoders advice and got there in the end. This start-up sequence was what worked for me (from this thread in Nova's post http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ight=remapollo) Specifically the RemApollo lines, the CPU60 and CMQ060 lines. This has had the card running at top speed since. Also, I don't know if this is still the case, but the HSMaths libs by Matthias Henze were only the demo versions. I paid for the full registered version and that had all Nova's ports running as good as possible (the Blizzard card was just that bit faster - Quake 2 was the only port that struggled a small bit for me - stil very playable)

; $VER: Startup-Sequence_HardDrive 45.2 (19.1.2001)
; Startup-Sequence for AmigaOS 3.9

CRAP
C:RemAPollo QUIET MODULES DEVS:Modules/scsi.device mathffp.library mathieeesingbas.library exec_45.20 console.device_44.8 ram-handler_44.23 shell_45.7 bootmenu_44.7 filesystem.resource_45.10 filesystem_45.13 BBlank NoClick

; ROMUpdate_44.57
;SpeedyChip

;C:SetPatch QUIET
C:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET

C:Version >NIL:
C:AddBuffers >NIL: DF0: 15
FailAt 21

C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ

Resident >NIL: C:Assign PURE
Resident >NIL: C:Execute PURE

Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV
Assign >NIL: T: RAM:T
Assign >NIL: CLIPS: RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: REXX: S:
Assign >NIL: PRINTERS: DEVS:Printers
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE: SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Classes ADD
Assign >NIL: HELP: LOCALE:Help DEFER

C:CPU60 B >NIL:

C:CMQ060

C:FBlit
C:FText

[SNIP!]

Good luck and keep at it, the results are worth the effort!
I'm having trouble with my Apollo 1260 setup and OS3.2

My setup is an A1200 with the Apollo 060 64mb ram and overclocked to 100mhz by Stanchu. I've been happily running this with ClassicWB 3.1 for years now using the above modified startup sequence which was provided by NovaCoder to get the best out of his and others projects. I'm now using OS 3.2 and the ClassicWB package. Basically, I had it booting fine before I got into the extra stuff, RemApollo, high speed maths etc. Now when I boot with the modified startup it just gets into a reboot loop and won't load.

Is anyone successfully getting the above to work, and if so can you give me a dig out please! Thanks in advance.

p.s I still have my working 3.1 setup on another CF card.
Old 08 May 2023, 13:28   #104
rabidgerry

Quote:
I'm having trouble with my Apollo 1260 setup and OS3.2

My setup is an A1200 with the Apollo 060 64mb ram and overclocked to 100mhz by Stanchu. I've been happily running this with ClassicWB 3.1 for years now using the above modified startup sequence which was provided by NovaCoder to get the best out of his and others projects. I'm now using OS 3.2 and the ClassicWB package. Basically, I had it booting fine before I got into the extra stuff, RemApollo, high speed maths etc. Now when I boot with the modified startup it just gets into a reboot loop and won't load.

Is anyone successfully getting the above to work, and if so can you give me a dig out please! Thanks in advance.

p.s I still have my working 3.1 setup on another CF card.

Hmmm I have the same accelerator still and also a 3.2 setup that I've entirely switched over too. Now far as I remember you need MMULib installed on 3.2, are you using that ok? Seem to recall if are using other 060 libs then you need mDrap running. Also if I recall, how I got RemApollo working with 3.1 was I used to patcher provided to patch setpatch so I'm not sure if anything like that is required again whilst using in conjunction with 3.2. If I get time I'll swap my Apollo back into my main machine and run my 3.2 setup. Pretty sure it boots though if you use the Apollo 060 library along with MMUlib installed on 3.2.
Old 08 May 2023, 17:54   #105
Reido

Ah fair play, good shout. I am indeed using MMULIB and didn't think about mDrap. Will give it a go later and hopefully that'll do the job, thanks.
Old 08 May 2023, 19:45   #106
rabidgerry

Quote:
Ah fair play, good shout. I am indeed using MMULIB and didn't think about mDrap. Will give it a go later and hopefully that'll do the job, thanks.
Yeah I think mDrap is for using RemApollo but without non Apollo libs. I think. If I'm wrong someone can correct me.
Old 08 May 2023, 20:47   #107
daxb

Just read the docs:
Quote:
MMU.library users can now try (mostly experimental) MuDRAP proggy. If you
think you need to use mmu.library aware 040/060.library, you have to use
MuDRAP instead of regular DRAP command. Due to the way mmu.library works, the
installation of RemAPollo files are slightly different. You should place
RemAPollo BEFORE SetPatch and MuDRAP commands in your startup-sequence and
muDRAP has to be run just AFTER SetPatch:

... RemAPollo <options>
SetPatch
MuDRAP <options>

Note, that you DO NOT need to patch mmu.lib's 68040/060.library!

WARNING!: Included MuDRAP version is experimental and should be used ONLY with
68040/060.library from mmu.lib package!!! Using MuDRAP with any other version
of 68040/060 may yeld undefined results!!!
Old 10 May 2023, 23:31   #108
Reido

Thanks for the above advice, but I've had no joy. I am as you can no doubt tell, poor when it comes to this kinda stuff! I'm gonna start from scratch and do a fresh install of 3.2 and maybe leave the ClassicWB part for the moment. As far as editing the startup sequence etc, would it be possible to get a quick screenshot of it just to guide me in the right direction, be much appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: With a fresh install of OS3.2, updated to 3.2.2 and editing the startup sequence as above, I've got things working fine and speed wise it all seems to be working fine. Remains to be seen if I'll go with ClassicWB. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Reido; 11 May 2023 at 03:06.
Old 11 May 2023, 11:55   #109
rabidgerry

Quote:
Thanks for the above advice, but I've had no joy. I am as you can no doubt tell, poor when it comes to this kinda stuff! I'm gonna start from scratch and do a fresh install of 3.2 and maybe leave the ClassicWB part for the moment. As far as editing the startup sequence etc, would it be possible to get a quick screenshot of it just to guide me in the right direction, be much appreciated! Thanks.

Edit: With a fresh install of OS3.2, updated to 3.2.2 and editing the startup sequence as above, I've got things working fine and speed wise it all seems to be working fine. Remains to be seen if I'll go with ClassicWB. Thanks for all your help.
Good stuff glad to hear it. Yeah my OS3.2.1 build was a fresh from scratch build and I customized/am customizing as I go along to get it somewhere close to my ClassicWB 3.1 systems. I will be making the jump to 3.2 soon.