English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 October 2009, 04:24   #1
exoticaga

Lightbulb Emulation (next big seller ?)

A pcb board via usb, pci, pci-x slot. That have all the old and latest os on available via flashable ic chips. Flashable as in the device chips could have all or any the user chooses to have. Flashable so user has full control of his/her own decisions as to what the board contains.

Since hardware and pc's becoming faster and more powerful. The board is full multitasking. Maybe all amiga os's could be run at the same time. Or even multi os's at the same time. Of course many may just want one at a time again user choice what they want.

Interact fully with pc hardware, as long as board or os'd has driver for using. I know more could come of this, it's born mainly from the fact of. Why are clones still independant hardware just for that os or other likes. If was also usb so that notebooks and media consoles could join in, but is usb good enough. If usb3 proven reliable why not ?

Though i would also want a pc desktop device. If the usb3 device was to be sub par to a pc device in terms of features and speed. I think would be because of no space on baord for ic chips, yet ic chips are getting better.

Ok initial design and production costs would be high. Like with any new concept to launch.

Drawback - ok the device could legaly be made and sold without problems.
Software - Free downloadable free to everyone. Spread web wide and local wide so its out there for all. DVD would include, all os's that is now every where has a site section, there would even be one here for the amiga os's.

Ok i know your thinking mame machine, mame that many many os can be run under. OK but think bigger and hardware via large mb ic chips hat are fully user flashable for what they need. Flashable with a complete backup solloution more so for flash fails (no such bios ic like bad flashes).

Upgradable via cli and pc gui interface, to suit all users. Device is for all os's use, just need to use the right cli or gui interface for flashing via chosen os.

To make billions quickly, sell cheaply (don't build shit). Sold expensive means less sales, the device will be cloned and sold cheaper. Keep affordable and cheap, soon everyone will want one. Giving no market gap profit for others to clone the device. Be greedy leads to poor sales, and more competition, remember china or japan etc will beat you on price if greedy. Who knows this could a 'next big seller' everyone wants one.

The first ic was sold at loss (couldn't even make them for $1 each). Instantly made profitable, every manufacture needed them, to sell us products we use daily, imagine life without the ic .
Old 23 October 2009, 08:47   #2
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga
Ok i know your thinking mame machine
Actually I was thinking: WTF?

Are you making / funding this project or suggesting it's made / funded?

In fact, back up a bit - what actually *is* this project? I got a bit lost as to what it is you're really putting forward. Your enthusiasm for it has meant your description lacks focus, in my opinion.

I know nothing about hardware - is any of the stuff you're proposing even possible...? or worthwhile...?
Old 23 October 2009, 09:00   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Most PC's have neither PCI or PCI-X these days. Everything is PCIe

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
all the old and latest os on available via flashable ic chips.
Why not just use an SSD?

Quote:
If usb3 proven reliable why not ? If the usb3 device was to be sub par to a pc device in terms of features and speed.
I have USB3 SuperSpeed in my PC here and strangely enough I am designing a SuperSpeed device. Getting good transfer speeds from it, close to 300MiB/s better than 1 lane PCIe 1.0

Quote:
Ok initial design and production costs would be high. Like with any new concept to launch.
We'll spend ~$10M designing our USB3 SuperSpeed device.

Last edited by alexh; 23 October 2009 at 09:09.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:43   #4
MagerValp

Man, this is why I only visit EAB. The other Amiga boards out there are full of pie in the sky ramblings like this...
Old 23 October 2009, 10:07   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Someone able to translate that for poor old TCD? For now it looks like the usual 'all-in-one device suitable for every purpose with cream on top' to me...
Old 23 October 2009, 12:32   #6
DH
Global Moderator

You forgot, it's a cherry on top TCD

Hmm. An all in one device, don't we have one of those, isn't it called Stephen Hawking

Sorry for that, but I'm just as lost as the next person
Old 23 October 2009, 12:38   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
You forgot, it's a cherry on top TCD
Yes, yes I did
Seriously, I've read through the first post again and I still don't really see what he's talking about. It seems that exoticaga talks about a 'super-mobo' Then comes the part about selling it for 1 $ and there I'm completely lost
Old 23 October 2009, 12:48   #8
Lakes

Yeah, doing this on the cheap ain`t gonna happen, a nice ATX format board like the Mini-mig, but with A1200 chipset would be nice though...
Old 23 October 2009, 13:14   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You can already get a uATX version of MiniMig v1.1 PCB but it is so underpowered it isnt worth getting
Old 24 October 2009, 09:55   #10
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Why bother making new pieces of electronic? Most things run quite well on standard x86 hardware by now. And Larrabee might become an interesting innovation in that field.