English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 14 October 2014, 12:25   #1
other_reality

Arcade Pool (A500 OCS 1mb)

Well, i am trying all versions on TOSEC and none of them seem to work on a simple 1mb A500. I am using a gotek BTW, but I am not having any problems with most other games, apart from SWOS 96/97 where I have to type ssboot swos to boot it

Anyone has a working adf tested on the described Amiga ; It seems that the TOSEC out there has its imperfections, i'm pretty sure i played both Arcade Pool and Swos 96/97 on such an Amiga (but i lost the damn floppies !)
Old 14 October 2014, 12:41   #2
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_reality View Post
Well, i am trying all versions on TOSEC and none of them seem to work on a simple 1mb A500. I am using a gotek BTW, but I am not having any problems with most other games, apart from SWOS 96/97 where I have to type ssboot swos to boot it

Anyone has a working adf tested on the described Amiga ; It seems that the TOSEC out there has its imperfections, i'm pretty sure i played both Arcade Pool and Swos 96/97 on such an Amiga (but i lost the damn floppies !)
Did you try with an unexpanded (512 KB) Amiga config?
Old 14 October 2014, 12:43   #3
other_reality

No, not really. I'll pull out my memory expansion and check it out, although i doubt this is the case, it was a fairly modern game to be having such a problem
Old 14 October 2014, 12:49   #4
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
No, not really. I'll pull out my memory expansion and check it out
Oh, I thought you were trying to load it in WinUAE, not the real thing .

Quote:
although i doubt this is the case, it was a fairly modern game to be having such a problem
You may be right...
Perhaps it's one of those games (badly cracked) which require df1: to be present?
Old 14 October 2014, 13:13   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

I had working version for my A500. I think there is no music if you have only 512k of Chip RAM but game is playable.
Old 14 October 2014, 13:18   #6
other_reality

Maybe you still have it and willing to upload the adf ?
Old 14 October 2014, 13:20   #7
s2325
Zone Friend

No, my Amiga with games was sold to my uncle years ago.
Old 15 October 2014, 14:37   #8
Hewitson

I had the same setup as you many years ago and I don't believe this game (PDX crack) ever worked on it either.
Old 15 October 2014, 15:43   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe my version was cracked by some polish group and there is no dump. All game dumps are with Wanted Team or Katharsis cracktros, nothing more.
Old 15 October 2014, 15:46   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I have uploaded the Delirium cracked version of Arcade Pool to the Zone which used to work fine on my A500 back in the day (TM). It might work on yours too.
Old 15 October 2014, 15:54   #11
Superman

I just downloaded a version from a team17 download page and it works on a 1mb A500 ECS configuration on WinUAE but not OCS. The file does say AGA when downloaded but the crack screen (DLM CRACK) says ECS/AGA when booting.

It looks like there isn't an OCS version unfortunately and the TOSEC labeling possibly incorrect.
Old 15 October 2014, 15:59   #12
other_reality

@Stingray

Thanks mate, I appreciate your effort, will check it out tonight and will deliver the results ! If it worked back in the day (TM), my bet is it will again !

Funny how TOSEC adf's have so many problems. Yesterday I also had trouble with Body Blows Galactic and Tower Assault, all sets. I have a beefy amiga and a cd32 to play these on, but I wanted to have them for the good ol' 500 as well, now that I got a Gotek flashed for it. My old disks are mostly dead unfortunately, and I do remember playing them on the very same Amiga.
Old 16 October 2014, 10:09   #13
other_reality

Unfortunately, Stingray's adf gives me the same error like the ones in TOSEC. After the crack text, it goes to guru mediation. Oh well ! I'll stick with the cd32 version, as with the other games I get the same errors.
Old 16 October 2014, 14:37   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I would suggest theres something wrong with your Amiga.

I've checked out the original and the Delirium crack, the game supports three memory types, including 512kchip/512kslow.

Although it does relocate the code down to the lower half of chipmem if it only finds 512k chip, the game was never coded for this config, Team 17 only did 1meg only games other than maybe Miami Chase when they were Team 7.

So, to recap.

Both crack and original take care of three memory types, don't support 512k, and the final piece, it was cracked by Phil Douglas, the guy was one of the very best, so that leads me to the only logical conclusion, theres something wrong with your Amiga, floppy alignment? Dirty heads? Or maybe memory expansion needs to be removed and connector cleaned and put back on.
Old 16 October 2014, 21:08   #15
other_reality

Thanks for the info. Im using a gotek, it could be the problem, but other 1meg games run ok. Will refit the mem expansion and clean up the connector though, you never know. As i said i know this game runs on this amiga, ive played it in the past. At first i thought the adfs are bad dumps, but there must be something else wrong, as i faced the same issues with tower assault and body blows galactic, which, again i know they should run because they did with my old cracked floppies for years. Weirdest part is theyre all team 17 games.
Old 16 October 2014, 22:56   #16
other_reality

Refitted expansion, cleaned connectors, even tried another expansion from working spares and nothing. Tested a big bunch of other 1meg games, no problems but those 3 i've mentioned. My bet is either the adf dumps dont work on any ocs a500, or the gotek emulator with cortex firmware dislikes the specific disks (loading routine who knows). I've also tested a bunch of demos, music disks, pd games, coverdisks, diskmags etc everything worked.
Old 16 October 2014, 23:03   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Refitted expansion, cleaned connectors, even tried another expansion from working spares and nothing. Tested a big bunch of other 1meg games, no problems but those 3 i've mentioned. My bet is either the adf dumps dont work on any ocs a500, or the gotek emulator with cortex firmware dislikes the specific disks (loading routine who knows). I've also tested a bunch of demos, music disks, pd games, coverdisks, diskmags etc everything worked.
Phil Douglas has a set of custom loading routines, would have been better off simply replacing the original PDOS loader with the shortened RNC DOS Sector loader, so I suspect thats whats wrong.

EDIT: What is your full system specs, memory, kickstart, peripherals.

It possibly might be the AGA detection code is buggy and its trying to load the AGA enhanced version on your A500. You mentioned trying another crack, I find it hard to believe both Paradox and Phil Douglas had the exact same loading routines.

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 16 October 2014 at 23:48.
Old 17 October 2014, 00:01   #18
Superman

I have a rev6a 1.3 A500 which has the ECS Agnus. This also crashes to a Guru meditation after the crack screen. I'm also using a Gotek floppy emulator.

It is also tempremental in WinUAE where it will also Guru Meditation or load normally on a A500 1mb configuration.

Last edited by Superman; 17 October 2014 at 00:15.
Old 17 October 2014, 00:29   #19
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Ok, this is for other reality and superman.

In the zone is a test version of Arcade Pool for you to try.

I've got a feeling the disk routines are fine, i'm suspecting its the AGA detection code thats at fault.

I have forced the game to load 512k/512k slowmem version, check it out and see if that works.

It could be that the Gotek is causing a hardware error/conflict that is affecting the AGA check.
Old 17 October 2014, 10:52   #20
other_reality

Thanks Galahad, got the adf. Will try later this afternoon. My setup is 1.3 OCS A500, 512k expansion and an external floppy attached (turned off all the time though).

You have a point about AGA detection. The other games that dont work seem to be of the same format (meaning, AGA detecting games).

@Superman Could you also try Tower Assault and BB Galactic adf's from TOSEC on your A500 with the Gotek ? I suspect you will have the same errors.