English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 May 2021, 15:03   #1
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

Help required! Using a CD/DVD drive under OS3.1.4.1

Its a long time since I had my A1200 up and running properly.

I've got it in a tower and have a choice of IDE to SD adapter with 40 pin IDE or a 4-way buffered IDE setup with IDEFix97 and a CF card. At this point I should say that I can't find my IDEfix97 floppy but there's a free version on aminet and I have my key-code - but should I need it anyway if I'm on OS 3.1.4.1?

I've loaded OS3.1.4.1 on both setups and I have a CD-RW plugged in.

I've checked and I have CDFS present (included with 3.1.4)and I have CD0 present in Devs/DOS Drivers.

What am I missing?

I have noticed that there is no CD Prefs program.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 26 May 2021, 15:25   #2
Matt_H

If your only devices are a hard drive and the CD drive (i.e., you’re not using the 4-way adapter) you don’t need IDEfix. The device jumpered as master (presumably your hard drive) will be scsi.device unit 0 and the device jumpered as slave (the CD drive) will be scsi.device unit 1.

All you should need to do is adjust the CD0 mountfile to use unit 1. I think it uses unit 3 or 4 by default.
Old 26 May 2021, 15:27   #3
Daedalus

The main thing is that the device and unit number specified in the DOSDriver match your setup. With the 4-way adaptor, the first port is scsi.device units 0 and 1, but I think atapi.device is still required to access the second port with units 2 and 3. For the SD card adaptor, it depends on how it's implemented - some have the 40-pin IDE configured as slave with the SD card as master, others mimic the 4-way adaptor behaviour and so also need atapi.device to access that port.

Bear in mind that some CF cards (and possibly some SD adaptors too) don't work well with other devices on the same bus, so this can prevent the CD drive from being detected if it's set as a slave device.

Last edited by Daedalus; 27 May 2021 at 09:46.
Old 26 May 2021, 15:28   #4
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

What Matt_H said, or if the CDRW on the second channel of the buffered adapter, and it's set to master, it *should* be unit 2 of atapi.device

If you have the IDEFix archive downloaded, extract it, and there's a handy tool inside called FindDevice you can check this with.

FWIW I use an SD->IDE 40 pin adaptor on the primary channel of my 4 way buffered interface, and have a CDRW and a Zip 250 the secondary channel. I have installed IDEFix (3.1.4.1 here too), and am using it as it gives a speed up for data transfer over the default scsi/atapi devices. If you go down this route, both channels use scsi.device - primary being 0 (master) and 1 (slave), and secondary being 2 (master) and 3 (slave).

Note that IDEFix doesn't play nice with some CF -> IDE adaptors as it doesn't like disks that identify as 'removable'. There are patches to resolve this available online.
Old 27 May 2021, 09:47   #5
Daedalus

Ugh, yes, units 2 and 3 for the secondary port, not 3 and 4 as I posted. Sorry!
Old 27 May 2021, 12:52   #6
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

Thanks for all the info, folks.

When I can get back on my Amiga (when she-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't have any jobs for me), I'll see if I can get it going
Old 30 May 2021, 18:12   #7
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

Solved! Thanks to your suggestions folks, I've got it.

Simple enough, really (that would be me then)! A check on the icon showed that it was set to use Unit 2.

A quick change and save to Unit 1 and check that the DVD was indeed set to Slave and that I'm using the second IDE output (I wasn't) of the first channel on my - 4 way IDE adapter and voila - all sysytems go.

Many thanks