English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 January 2002, 03:16   #1
Stormlord

Weekly king of the scene competition part one

Ok guys, I know you all call your „amiga fellows or sceners“ Everyday you go out here,
You talk about games, demos or some other shit. But, maybe we have to announce the
Real scener ….the very best …. The man you knows everything … the man you loves his amiga more than anybody else on this board and stayed for over 17 years with the scene.
The King of The Scene … I made myself a quest thru the amiga gaming / cracking / demo history and selected 12 fine questions. 12 fine questions for the best….the best of the scene.
I give you one week from now to answer this question and then I come back and we will see,
who is the real fuckin’ amiga scener.

1st. Cracking / Illegal Questions:

A) Who was the official founder of the Vision Factory
B) On which amiga show did Tristar and Red Sector merged into TRSI
C) Who was the guy behind this wellknown illegal cracking address: P.O. BOX 10 ….4540 AMAY BELGIUM
D) Which group had the slogan “let us rule up the show together”

2nd. Demo / Music Section

A) Who has written the track “let it linger” and on which party was it released and which place did it in the module competition reach.
B) What was Dierk Ohlerich’s last demo coded for the amiga scene.
C) Who was the maineditor of R.O.M. and McDISK amiga mag.
D) Who was the first coder, that introduced 420 bobs on one screen at the amiga.

3st. Game Section

A) Which game was the first one, that needed 1 MB and didn’t work with 512 KB standard RAM.
B) How many lemmigs games were released official on the amiga
C) Name the game of the company RELINE, that was announced as the second part of oil imperium, but never released.
D) Which two amiga musicans sold their souls to work for the pc company Origin in the middle of the ninties.

dig it!!!

Old 02 January 2002, 09:21   #2
RetroMan

Re: Weekly king of the scene competition part one

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormlord
they merged on the "Red Sector and The Silents Summer Conference 1990" (on 29.06 1990)

have to sleep over the rest of the questions
Old 02 January 2002, 10:20   #3
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me

Quote:
A) Which game was the first one, that needed 1 MB and didn’t work with 512 KB standard RAM.
Dungeon Master or The Immortal, can't remember
Old 02 January 2002, 15:47   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
3st. Game Section

C) Name the game of the company RELINE, that was announced as the second part of oil imperium, but never released.
D) Which two amiga musicans sold their souls to work for the pc company Origin in the middle of the ninties.
A. Dungeon Master.

B. Six (titles):
1) Lemmings (1991)
2) Oh No! More Lemmings (1991)
3) Holiday Lemmings '93 (1993)
4) Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (1993)
5) Holiday Lemmings '94 (1994)
6) All New World of Lemmings/Lemmings 3 (1994)
Additionally, Oh No! More Lemmings was released as a standalone, as well as an add-on disk (both in 1991); Lemmings was also released as Lemmings (CDTV) in 1993, and there was a Lemmings Double Pack (Lemmings/Oh No! More Lemmings) in 1993. There was also some thing called Lemmings Levels, but I think that was just a demo...not sure.
You do the math...it depends on which titles you count.

C. Oil Imperium 2?

D: Dave Reed? Kevin Schilder? I know Martin Galway worked for Origin at one time, but he was C-64. Heck, I guess I'm stumped here because I really don't know my Amiga musicians too well. I imagine I could dig something up or research it or something, but that's too much work. Maybe someone else can answer this one.
Old 02 January 2002, 18:56   #5
Toxic

3st. Game Section

Sherman M4 was the first one by Loriciel

????

i dont know

I know that this two guys made the music for the Crusader series ( No Regret and No Remorse ) , both were members of the pc group Five Musicans, one was named Necros, but i dont know the other one.

Old 10 January 2002, 13:19   #6
Stormlord

i am the best ....the f**cking best here are the solutions you all suxx ;-)

1st. Cracking / Illegal Questions:

A) Who was the official founder of the Vision Factory

ONYX Andre Gaellesch

Red Sector and The Silents Summer Conference 1990

C) Who was the guy behind this wellknown illegal cracking address: P.O. BOX 10 ….4540 AMAY BELGIUM

Guru Josh / Metallica / Magic Drummer

D) Which group had the slogan “let us rule up the show together”

BAMIGA SECTOR ONE

2nd. Demo / Music Section

A) Who has written the track “let it linger” and on which party was it released and which place did it in the module competition reach.

Ukulele Of The Silents TP4

B) What was Dierk Ohlerich’s last demo coded for the amiga scene.

Chaos Of Sanity last demo was roots
C) Who was the maineditor of R.O.M. and McDISK amiga mag.

Mop

D) Who was the first coder, that introduced 420 bobs on one screen at the amiga.

Mr. Gurk Of Phenomena in 420 Bobs 1990

3st. Game Section

Dungen Master

6 titles!!

Trans Atlantic

Heiko Kuehl BASEHEAD and NECROS

Old 10 January 2002, 14:26   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Oh well, I did get two right. Obviously *you* knew all the answers!

I could probably bang up a game quiz that could stump you almost as bad as this one did me, but since I'm a yank, I never got to participate in any of the scene parties and such. Hence, the details had no reason to stick.

More game questions!!!
Old 10 January 2002, 23:03   #8
LaundroMat

Sidetracking, but...

What did the "B" stand for in Bamiga Sector One?

I remember their wireframed logo (I even seem to remember that being in the Outrun cracktro), and being severly impressed. But that was the about the time I first witnessed an Amiga...
Old 10 January 2002, 23:14   #9
RetroMan

Heya And I got one of the harder questions right, that counts double
Old 18 January 2002, 17:29   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

"B" stood for "buttock"..Buttock Sector One.
I hate trivia....
Old 18 January 2002, 20:03   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hmmm

Selecting a few questions from the many multitude of possible questions hardly amounts to being a 'real' scener!

Bearing in mind, most of the people who would have had that information (scene related) are not on Amiga anymore.

Ok, Stormlord, a few questions for you:

(We`ll start you off with an easy one!
a) JBM of Fairlight. What does the `J` stand for?

(Another easy one)
b) Who was the founder leader of Paranoimia that went on to setup Skid Row?

(getting stupidly easy now)
c) What did the `CCS` in Defjam & CCS stand for?

d) Why did Spook/Digital quit the Amiga?

e) What two things do Dan, Nuke, Facet, Hannibal and Paradroid have in common?

f) Robert Ling is best known as?

g) Scorpion Development used to be attached to which UK group?

h) There is a connection between these games: Blood Money (Psygnosis), Spellbound (Psygnosis), The Killing Game Show (Psygnosis) and Music Disk demo, Sonic Attack by Dual Crew Shining.... What is it?

i) What was the name of the 4096 colour HAM mode platform game by Mirrorsoft that never got released in 1989?

j) Which conceptual artist was responsible for the Beast series artwork on the packaging?

k) What is the connection between Kreator/Anarchy and Michael Troughton?

l) Which cracker helped in the creation of Pinball Dreams thus guarranteeing that he wouldn't crack it?

m) Which cracker coded Premier Manager 3 Deluxe/Gremlin?

n) Which cracker did game design and wrote the load/save MFM system for Speris Legacy/Team 17

o) What does Defjam and Team 17 have in common?

p) Which software company defined the IFF file format for graphics?

q) What does Starglider/Argonaut and Xenon/Bitmap Brothers have in common

r) What was the working title for Virocop/Time Warner?

s) What name is Michael Pendec better known as?

t) What county does Mok come from?

u) What is the connection : Slipstream, Scoopex, Genesis, Crystal, Nemesis, Ministry, Fairlight (Both names)?

v) Which Paradox member did time for calling card fraud?

w) What was wrong with the first series of Amiga A4ooo's?

x) ZZKJ, the programmer behind Super Hang-On made the game on Amiga superfast, or so it seemed. How did he cheat?

y) Which Amiga magazine carried some AGA fixes for a lot of games in 1994, thus pissing off the Bitmap Brothers?

z) What does ACU stand for?

Work your way through that lot. REALISTIC questions that are broad ranging, so everyone has a chance at answering them....

Kindest Regards
Old 18 January 2002, 22:13   #12
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Re: Hmmm

b) Who was the founder leader of Paranoimia that went on to setup Skid Row?

Metallica

Compubrain Cracking Service.

f) Robert Ling is best known as?

Tip from Sweden. (Prior to that he was known as Similus).

n) Which cracker did game design and wrote the load/save MFM system for Speris Legacy/Team 17

I am sure I know the answer to these 2 but I will let other people guess first

Members from Defjam worked for Team 17.

Electronic Arts.

Blackhawk/Paradox

t) What county does Mok come from?

Poland (home of the very first crackers (aka mathematicians!) who worked on Enigma and the Enigma decoding bombes just prior to World War 2!)

u) What is the connection : Slipstream, Scoopex, Genesis, Crystal, Nemesis, Ministry, Fairlight (Both names)?

N.O.M.A.D was in all groups.

Maximillion (spelling probably wrong)

x) ZZKJ, the programmer behind Super Hang-On made the game on Amiga superfast, or so it seemed. How did he cheat?

Guessing, was it something to do with raising the engine pitch noise so it seemed like you were still accelerating even though the screen wasn't updating any quicker or driving further than at a lower speed? (That is what I would do anyway!)

y) Which Amiga magazine carried some AGA fixes for a lot of games in 1994, thus pissing off the Bitmap Brothers?

Amiga Format.

Australian Crackers United (in my part of the world anyway, maybe there is another UK version)

Work your way through that lot. REALISTIC questions that are broad ranging, so everyone has a chance at answering them....

Agreed, much better questions that some people have a chance of answering.
Old 18 January 2002, 22:39   #13
MethodGit

Post Re: Hmmm

I wish I knew as much about the Amiga cracker's guild scene as you guys do.

But, hey, at least what I do know about the Amiga is better than knowing zilch about the thing at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
(We`ll start you off with an easy one!)
Heh, easy to you that is...

Quote:
a) JBM of Fairlight. What does the `J` stand for?
Jacked? Or Jackass? As in Jacked/Jackass Business Mahogany? Or was the guy not trying to name himself after IBM?

Quote:
(getting stupidly easy now)
Not for me it ain't...

Quote:
Critical Coding Success? As in when they successfully crack a game 100%?

Quote:
d) Why did Spook/Digital quit the Amiga?
Perhaps he was "spooked out" by something with the Amiga?

Quote:
e) What two things do Dan, Nuke, Facet, Hannibal and Paradroid have in common?
Ok, let's see: a) they're all crackers, and b) they're all obscure?

Quote:
g) Scorpion Development used to be attached to which UK group?
Wasn't Scorpion Development the small company that Stuart Campbell and a pal of his formed back in the '80s?

Quote:
h) There is a connection between these games: Blood Money (Psygnosis), Spellbound (Psygnosis), The Killing Game Show (Psygnosis) and Music Disk demo, Sonic Attack by Dual Crew Shining.... What is it?
One person or more was involved in the production of all of the above? Or a piece of music appeared in all of them?

Quote:
i) What was the name of the 4096 colour HAM mode platform game by Mirrorsoft that never got released in 1989?
Hang on a mo.... you say it was never released, yet mention the year 1989 immediately afterwards? You must be suggesting that the game was released in another year, just not 1989. Sorry if I'm acting like a nit-picking buggery beeyatch here...

Quote:
j) Which conceptual artist was responsible for the Beast series artwork on the packaging?
Damn! I'm sure I came across his name once before...

Quote:
k) What is the connection between Kreator/Anarchy and Michael Troughton?
They are.... (long dramatic pause).... ONE AND THE SAME/TWIN BROTHERS/RELATIVES TO ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL/CRACKER (delete where applicable). (Sound of thunder cracking and bellowing in the background followed by eery music). Really though, haven't an effing clue.

Quote:
l) Which cracker helped in the creation of Pinball Dreams thus guarranteeing that he wouldn't crack it?
I wish I paid attention to the game credits more often, man...

Quote:
Do you mean which sometime cracker developed the original game? Or which guy cracked the game in general? (I think you mean the former, since the only net copy of PM3 Deluxe I can locate is uncracked.)

Quote:
There was an MFM load/save system? What's the point of that? Why didn't they just allow you to save games in AmigaDOS format files, like the actual game itself is?

Quote:
Lemme guess - some of Team 17's members used to work for Defjam before leaving their hacky-hacky-secret past and being honest people?

Quote:
Electronic Arts. I think Deluxe Paint was the first paint program to create the IFF format and make it really popular (even for PC users - Paint Shop Pro allows you to save in this format).

Quote:
q) What does Starglider/Argonaut and Xenon/Bitmap Brothers have in common
Well, they're both set in space-like settings. Is that it? But considering you've mentioned the developers as well, is it something to do with certain individuals working for both companies?

Quote:
r) What was the working title for Virocop/Time Warner?
I wonder why no-one mentioned the working title for this game in the "WIP-titles" thread?

Quote:
Penders? Pendez? Pendy? MP? Mike? Penman? Micdec? (Bleh...)

Quote:
Well, Genesis and Nemesis sound very similar. Seriously though, perhaps some people worked for multiple cracking groups?

Quote:
What exactly is card fraud?

Quote:
w) What was wrong with the first series of Amiga A4ooo's?
Ummmmmmmmmmm, they had hard-drive compatibility problems?

Quote:
Did he make the scene scrolling graphics scroll a lot faster than the actual speed of your bike?

Quote:
I'd have to say Amiga Format. Or CU Amiga. But why would the Bitmaps get pissed off over some patches which actually allow more people to play their games?

Quote:
Amiga Crackers United. Pretty good guess I reckon.

You may call me diabolical for the answers I've given here, but at least I enjoy myself with this batch of brain-scratchers.
Old 19 January 2002, 08:06   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Diabolical wasn't the word that sprang to my mind...
Old 19 January 2002, 11:52   #15
oldpx

Quote:
Electronic Arts. I think Deluxe Paint was the first paint program to create the IFF format and make it really popular (even for PC users - Paint Shop Pro allows you to save in this format).
I see you're using that program. But many modern graphic applications recognize and able to save in IFF format.

Old 19 January 2002, 14:36   #16
RCK
Administrator

Exclamation Re: Re: Hmmm

Quote:
You may call me diabolical for the answers I've given here, but at least I enjoy myself with this batch of brain-scratchers.
What is that ?!
If you didn't know the answers, you DID NOT have to spam the board will all those stupidities.
(at least keep them for you)

You were supposed to only post possible answers like others thread contributors.
Do you really think we were happy to read another questions instead of solution ?

and please don't complain again, you are wrong here, it was not funny.
Old 19 January 2002, 14:58   #17
MethodGit

I wasn't trying to be completely funny, most of the questions/answers I gave out were kinda serious.

And it's not as if people should get annoyed about other people having an innocent little jokey moment anyway.
Old 19 January 2002, 18:24   #18

The important thing about being funny is your timing.

And that wasn't a "little" anything. I was going to say that I'd be interested to see what a large jokey moment was like, but I think it would make you actually try.

Old 19 January 2002, 18:52   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
I wasn't trying to be completely funny, most of the questions/answers I gave out were kinda serious.

And it's not as if people should get annoyed about other people having an innocent little jokey moment anyway.
First you say you were being kinda serious, then you call it an innocent little jokey moment. ?!?!

As I read that reply at work last night, I was stunned. Truly stunned. Most of the things you quoted and responded to were complete rubbish. The equivalent of replying to questions across the board with "I don't know". If you don't know or have nothing of worth to add, why respond? Just to be responding? Who benefits? Or is this that time of the month again when you go into your obligatory prozac-free wall bounce?

Go back and look at that post, Marz. It's huge. Huge! And says nothing. Just silly replies that has resulted in a whole bunch of posts where we have to point this out to you. You can't possibly be so thick that you didn't know this would happen, that the discussion would sway from the subject, and that you would be the center of this weeks newest 'moment'.

Sometimes it's difficult to avoid a thread to go off-topic because they tend to have multiple points brought up. But this was manipulated and contrived. If you'd made a quip or two, you'd have probably only been ignored. But it's hard to imagine ignoring such a massive flame-bait as this...
Old 19 January 2002, 21:07   #20
MethodGit

It was a combination of little quips, had-to-be-asked-cos-I-don't-understand questions, actual attempts to get the right answer, and damn-just-missed-it moments, alright?!

Let me explain this:

a), d), & k) were little quips.
c), e), g), h), o), p), q), s), u), w), x), y) & z) were serious attempts at answering the question correctly.
i), m), & v) were questions I asked because, believe it or not, I did not fully understand what Galahad meant (and I think I have every right to ask a little question regarding the main question if it is not understandable by everyone).
j) & l) were me suggesting that I came across the name on some website before, but it escaped from my mind just when I needed it. So I thought I could answer it, but in truth could not. But I wanted to remind the questioner that I did discover the info on credit matters before, but the most important bits escaped me just in the middle of a quiz.
n) & r) were me reacting to questions containing apparent info that I never knew about before, and I'm sure most people would ask the same questions like I did.

But, please, let's just return to Galahad's questions. I'm fed up of people saying I'm trying to divert attention away from the original subject, when that is clearly not my intention. I'm not gonna argue about this anymore. Let's just calm down.