English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 05 December 2021, 23:45   #201
jotd
This cat is no more

I am impressed. I thought that was another dead project. Moving to Scorpion was a wise move.

Great job!
Old 13 December 2021, 11:51   #202
skyzoo73

HOLDS AND AI PROGRESS

Mark Day - 13 December 2021

I’m working on 2 integral systems at the moment. Holds and AI part 3.

The holds mechanic is tricky as within Scorpion the player doesn’t have direct reference to a particular enemy, so we have do some some magic to make a link happen when the enemy goes into a stunned position. You can see a test below for the actual throwing mechanic:

[ Show youtube player ]

So this is very much a work in progress but eventually it will allow for the punch, punch, throw combo and also those iconic knees to the head after kicking an enemy.

I’m also developing AI part 3 which will see the enemies start to choose sides instead of bunching together, currently I’m over complicating this but I’ve had some ideas over the weekend that will simplify this!

Lastly I now have the player hit, fall and death in place - this also work with lives and credits.

And.. the Z layering is fixed as part of Earok’s Scorpion updates, so now the players and enemies will appear in the correct order when moving back and forth.

http://www.electriccafe.xyz/double-d...nd-ai-progress

http://www.electriccafe.xyz/
Old 13 December 2021, 18:00   #203
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Darn, video is too short, you bat your eyes you lose it
Old 22 May 2022, 13:21   #204
kalu666

still no updates?
Old 22 May 2022, 14:13   #205
adrdesign

I've just logged in to thank the OP for this conversion. Music is superb also.
Old 08 October 2022, 00:44   #206
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Anyone being on touch with "electric cafe" and having news ?
Old 09 October 2022, 15:54   #207
skyzoo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Anyone being on touch with "electric cafe" and having news ?
I had contact months ago, and as far as I understand he is very busy with work.
Old 05 March 2023, 15:13   #208
franeti

No news from this awaited port? ????
Old 06 March 2023, 12:29   #209
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Be realistic. Someone with time to spare took on a big (huge?) project and then ended up being a person with not enough time to spare. It's a very common occurrence, life likes to be sneaky and predictable like that. Work, marriage, kids, sick parent, etc. etc.

It is the lesson we all have to learn. Be enthusiastic about projects which take no more than 6 months to do. Double Dragon is a monster especially if it is an improvement project. The goal for this was set sky high: needs to be better than the existing port. I'm not saying that the existing port is good, but that changes nothing about the expectations that you set for yourself as an implementer, besides the expectations that players will have.
Old 06 March 2023, 13:17   #210
logo

Rotten from the roots.
There was a problem of methodology and knowledge for such an ambitious project.
A few messages sufficed to prevent me from believing in a result.
In our time there is a temptation to announce a game as soon as 3 sprites move with a scrolling. This is not even the beginning of a game engine... The road is way longer for a game !
Old 06 March 2023, 14:13   #211
DanielAllsopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
The road is way longer for a game !
Then let him walk that road at his own pace, yes?

I see too many of these types of posts, and my initial thought is always the same; developers don't owe any of you a damn thing. They're building something in their own spare time, for an obsolete system to ultimately satisfy their own desire to work on a project that makes them happy.

Who cares how long it takes at the end of the day?

They're not getting paid, they have no deadlines and they have no obligation to keep the "fan base" happy by busting their arse so that you can play something you could, in this case, play on MAME if you're so desperate for an accurate Double Dragon experience.

However, I may have got the wrong end of the stick if you're currently paying his salary to develop this? If so, then I offer my apologies!
Old 06 March 2023, 14:59   #212
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAllsopp View Post

I see too many of these types of posts, and my initial thought is always the same; developers don't owe any of you a damn thing.
Very right. But the moment that a project is advertised... you've opened the flood gates. Not only for other people to latch on to it, but also for yourself because the moment you make it known to others that you're working on it, and especially if the reception is as big as this thread is, you saddle yourself up with a big pile of pressure.
Old 06 March 2023, 17:47   #213
acidbottle

It is a huge game and a big ask for even the mighty Scorpion, but he seemed a good coder. I know Scorpion makes game making look quite easy but as anyone who has picked up the system, or coded any game in anything frankly, finishing a project is an artform.

I to may have inadvertently jumped the gun on a project recently, it's a huge mission but patience is a virtue and all that!

I look forward to the day this game gets development bump, until then, we got stuff to tide us over
Old 06 March 2023, 19:32   #214
skyzoo73

Finding time to devote to a project like this is always a challenge, work, family, etc can sometimes take up all our time. In this particular case, I tried some time ago to message the author but did not want to bore him any more than necessary, precisely for the reasons above. I had the pleasure of trying several demos of the game myself on my Amiga, and first impressions were very favorable, and like all of you I would be happy to see the game completed. In fact this enticed me to try the Scorpion Engine firsthand, and I could see the difficulties involved in developing a game in terms of perseverance, technical difficulties, but most of all motivation.
Old 06 March 2023, 21:30   #215
logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAllsopp View Post
Then let him walk that road at his own pace, yes?

I see too many of these types of posts, and my initial thought is always the same; developers don't owe any of you a damn thing. They're building something in their own spare time, for an obsolete system to ultimately satisfy their own desire to work on a project that makes them happy.

Who cares how long it takes at the end of the day?

They're not getting paid, they have no deadlines and they have no obligation to keep the "fan base" happy by busting their arse so that you can play something you could, in this case, play on MAME if you're so desperate for an accurate Double Dragon experience.

However, I may have got the wrong end of the stick if you're currently paying his salary to develop this? If so, then I offer my apologies!

As soon you share your work, people will give you opinions, advices, comments, support, etc...
This is the way things work in human world.
You don't like my opinion about this project, It's your right. I don't like your white knight posture either.
I bought a lot of new Amiga games these last 10 years and tried to help with debugging each time I could. I always try to support new projects. So, I don't need your lesson.
I think I'm experienced enough to detect false claims, and when a projet has a chance to come to end. Maybe it's not your case, I'm sorry for you.

Why are false claims a problem to my eyes ?
Sometimes, they prevent people to launch a project, because someone is supposed to already work on it.
Moreover they have a tendancy to attract the light on them, a light wich would be better on a real project.

Last edited by logo; 06 March 2023 at 21:36.
Old 06 March 2023, 22:01   #216
jotd
This cat is no more

I must say that when the thread started and bragged about progress when the coder added a routine to zero an array or such I was unimpressed.

Everything changed when decision was made to switch to Scorpion, and out of the blue a video was posted, and it was very impressive all of a sudden. Now it looks possible that it's completed one day.

Personally, I tend to advertise only when I'm pretty sure that my project is going to be completed (I failed to do so for a few projects I advertised, but they were pretty much advanced, and some may even restart).

Else you're just seeking encouragements and giving false hopes.
Old 06 March 2023, 22:49   #217
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I hear that and even then it is not guaranteed. I have one project which I am damned proud of, but it is pretty much stuck at the "just need to make more levels" stage. Yeah. I have "level builder's block". I used to make huge and sprawling Duke3D and Doom levels. When did I lose my mojo?
Old 06 March 2023, 22:52   #218
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Rotten from the roots.
There was a problem of methodology and knowledge for such an ambitious project.
A few messages sufficed to prevent me from believing in a result.
In our time there is a temptation to announce a game as soon as 3 sprites move with a scrolling. This is not even the beginning of a game engine... The road is way longer for a game !
Been there done that...
Old 06 March 2023, 23:55   #219
acidbottle

Quote:
Why are false claims a problem to my eyes ?
Sometimes, they prevent people to launch a project, because someone is supposed to already work on it.
That is a good point to be fair. Though really, Double Dragon already exists, therefore any number of clones would be welcome! This version could have a thumping soundtrack mind you.
Old 07 March 2023, 20:46   #220
logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Personally, I tend to advertise only when I'm pretty sure that my project is going to be completed (I failed to do so for a few projects I advertised, but they were pretty much advanced, and some may even restart).

Else you're just seeking encouragements and giving false hopes.

I think it's exactly the good way to communicate. I'm glad there are still coders who act like that.