English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 October 2004, 19:18   #1
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

HD destroyed?

Hmm i think ive destroyed my hd in my miggy

I was copying some files from one partition to another and it suddenly said: Volume Workbench has a checksum error on diskblock 731.122 (number from memory). Then i tried to solve this problem with disksalv from aminet. Now its completely f**ked up. Now it says Error validating Volume Workbench Block 9.121.463 out of range (again from memory).

Atm im running a tool called DiskMonTools with the salvage funktion (which will need aprox. 27837429 hours to complete).

Anyone with a good suggestion?
Old 28 October 2004, 19:26   #2
teh
aka Superfrog

Is any of the data salvageable currently when booting from a floppy?
Old 28 October 2004, 19:32   #3
Amiga1992

DiskSalv is shit, you completely fucked it, I say.

When you get a checksum error (probably because of resetting the Amiga while teh HD is active), you have to copy all files to another disk/partition and reformat your HD. It's the only way I know of salvaging whta you got.
Old 28 October 2004, 19:32   #4
teh
aka Superfrog

I was saying about that in the IRC room. He doesnt have a cable to upload it to his pc either.
Old 28 October 2004, 19:42   #5
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

Ok i see that im fucked.

I let this hdtool thing do his job and if the problem is not gone afterwards ill reformat it after backing up as much as i can to other partitons.

Edit: As the hdtool wasnt any good ill have to reinstall my HD. As it isnt the boot partition im planning to backup just the drawers without contence and all .info files as they are perfectly arranged and it would take forever to rebuild it as it is. Also i will remember then what and where everything was installed.

Any ideas how to achieve this (perhaps any dopus5 script as dopus is still working)?

Last edited by MarlboroMan; 28 October 2004 at 22:24.
Old 02 November 2004, 22:48   #6
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

I fixed many a problem by first running Quarterback tools and then running Disksalv.
I've had the same problem as you (several times) and I've managed to fix them all. The only one I couldn't fix was a RDB that got eaten one day. That was a straight reformat. But checksum erors and things like that, you can still fix. Try QB tools first.
Old 02 November 2004, 23:16   #7
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Were you using SFS? If not, use it in future, it stops things like this from happening.
Old 03 November 2004, 00:06   #8
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex
Were you using SFS? If not, use it in future, it stops things like this from happening.
Nope, sadly it´s not I just lost my 6Gig HD on my A1200/060 when using SFS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
DiskSalv is shit, you completely fucked it, I say.
When using FFS, DiskSalv is the BEST tool to recover broken data !!! It saved my ass many times until today !!!
Old 03 November 2004, 17:01   #9
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
When using FFS, DiskSalv is the BEST tool to recover broken data !!!
Perhaps true if you're talking about DiskSalv 2 (available on Aminet). DiskSalv 4 is abominable.....and I'd choose DiskSalv 2, QB Tools or Ami-Back Tools over it every time for salvages or volume repairs. Nevertheless, I'd try to back up as much data before attempting a salvage or repair with any of these tools as none of them are remotely foolproof. At the end of the day, whilst SFS doesn't offer total protection from HD problems and data loss, you won't need to use recovery tools anywhere near as often as you would with OFS/FFS.
Old 03 November 2004, 18:58   #10
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

I recovered my data by connecting the drive to my pc. After a little bit of fiddling around with the settings in winxp and winuae i copied all the data from the whole partition that had the checksum errors to my pc hd. In fact, i saved 100% of the data, as there was only one single .info file broken.

Then i reformatted the drive and copied all the stuff back to the amiga hd.

The good thing about this method is time. Disksalv needed about 1,5 hrs to do nothing, the other tool needed 2 hrs to do nothing, but the whole copy procedure needed about 30 mins. So i would recommend this method for everyone who has a similar problem.
Old 04 November 2004, 12:34   #11
zipper

Agreed. That's why I for years have used two preferably identical HDs, the other one just for backup purposes. At least almost fresh copies are then available in just a fraction of time compared to what salvaging takes.