English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 February 2021, 22:13   #1
eXeler0

Amiga 500 RGB to HDMI adapter accelerator compatibility

Howdy,
got one of those RGBtoHDMI adapters for socketed Denise (with Raspberry Pi Zero), but now that I have the parts at home (except the pi pin header), it seems it wont fit along the Blizzard Turbo memory /accelerator that sits in this particular A500 (I have a few).
Now there are a few CPU relocators but most move the CPU up so it practically covers the Denise Chip.

Any thoughts or solutions for this new combo (Denise Adapter, Internal Accelerator)? Id guess TF53x might have similar issues?
I've seen a Denise relocator. Not sure how much difference it would do though.
I've also seen some weird flexible CPU relocator..
Old 01 March 2021, 19:46   #2
snz138

I was able to get it fit with just some 64 pin sockets (maybe two).
I can check over the weekend if no one else gets to it before.
I was just test fitting it so I don't have an A500 set up like that at the moment...
Old 01 March 2021, 20:05   #3
solarmon

Can you show pictures of how the card sits and how the RGBtoHDMI spoils with it?

I'm working on some RGBtoHDMI relocator boards and custom RGBtoHDMI boards that may help with these accelerator boards.
Old 02 March 2021, 00:31   #4
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Can you show pictures of how the card sits and how the RGBtoHDMI spoils with it?

I'm working on some RGBtoHDMI relocator boards and custom RGBtoHDMI boards that may help with these accelerator boards.
Sure,
https://www.exretro.com/galleries/co...DMI/index.html
Old 02 March 2021, 09:37   #5
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Thank you.

There are several things I have been working on - some relocator adapters and a custom RGBtoHDMI board - these will help with certain memory/CPU boards.

Relocator adapters:

Custom RGBtoHDMI board:

I still need to test them out before I release the gerbers files.
Old 02 March 2021, 10:22   #6
eXeler0

Quote:
Thank you.

There are several things I have been working on - some relocator adapters and a custom RGBtoHDMI board - these will help with certain memory/CPU boards.

Relocator adapters:

Custom RGBtoHDMI board:

I still need to test them out before I release the gerbers files.
Ah nice, I like that last one. Moving the RBPZ board to the right.. plenty of space over the Odd CIA chip.
Old 02 March 2021, 11:01   #7
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Ah nice, I like that last one. Moving the RBPZ board to the right.. plenty of space over the Odd CIA chip.
It is similar to Edu Arana's one:

My one sits a bit further back.
Old 02 March 2021, 11:33   #8
eXeler0

Quote:

Actually, your's is better in one decisive aspect because Arana's design still has the placement of the Micro SD slot super close to the Blizzard accelerator).
By offsetting the Pi board towards the back of the Amiga you solve this, so..much better :-)
Old 03 March 2021, 23:16   #9
eXeler0

@solarmon Updated the "gallery" with 2 extra pics (last 2) now that I got the Raspberry Pi Zero with soldered header on..
https://www.exretro.com/galleries/co...DMI/index.html

A regular Denise relocator *might* make it physically possible to squeeze the Pi board past the edge of the Blizzard board, but of course all ports on that sides are completely blocked, including the mini HDMI connector which of course renders this whole thing pointless ;-)

Unless.. I build a tower of sockets for the adapter sao it reaches above the accelerator.. Right now the pins of the adapter are of course not pressed down into the Denise socket as it won't fit..

Last edited by eXeler0; 26 August 2023 at 23:57. Reason: URL went dead, updated it
Old 03 March 2021, 23:53   #10
solarmon

@eXerler0

Thanks for the extra pictures - they are really useful to see the positioning of such boards.

Definitely the Pi needs to be relocated to face either backwards or sideways. This is why I'm working of these relocator boards, and my custom RGBtoHDMI board.
Old 04 March 2021, 02:38   #11
kipper2k

how is this ?

I revamped the RGB2HDMI board for a few reasons, to make it fit in all machines with a DIP Denise and also to not interfere with accelerators and in this case other Pi's lol. The board has a few extras i added that i am testing out

Last edited by kipper2k; 04 March 2021 at 02:53.
Old 04 March 2021, 08:39   #12
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
how is this ?

I revamped the RGB2HDMI board for a few reasons, to make it fit in all machines with a DIP Denise and also to not interfere with accelerators and in this case other Pi's lol. The board has a few extras i added that i am testing out
Nice one Kipper2k, this will solve the space issue for sure, but this orientation *maybe* presents a bit of a challenge with the HDMI cable placement. It's probably not an issue as long as one avoids stiff cables and gets one of those those soft/flexible ones though.
Btw, what are your thoughts on how to route it out of the case in a nice way? (Drill a hole in the empty area behind the floppy is always an option I guess as is removing the left expansion lid.)
Old 04 March 2021, 13:15   #13
jbilander

What about heat coming from the Denise chip? Not an issue for the RPi hovering over it?

Perhaps it's possible to use a flex ribbon hdmi cable, something like link below. If you don't tighten the case lid to hard it should work or perhaps even more advanced desolder the mono RCA-jack from the mobo and get a cable or a micro-hdmi male connector through (or halfway through meeting a micro-hdmi socket in) the vacant hole.

https://fyndiq.se/produkt/for-flexib...07d788a6f4caa/
Old 04 March 2021, 14:04   #14
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilander View Post
What about heat coming from the Denise chip? Not an issue for the RPi hovering over it?

Perhaps it's possible to use a flex ribbon hdmi cable, something like link below. If you don't tighten the case lid to hard it should work or perhaps even more advanced desolder the mono RCA-jack from the mobo and get a cable or a micro-hdmi male connector through (or halfway through meeting a micro-hdmi socket in) the vacant hole.

https://fyndiq.se/produkt/for-flexib...07d788a6f4caa/

The heat is not an issue, The Amiga custom chip warm up just as much as the Pi and Denise. I have left the Amiga on for hours with the lid closed with no issue.. There are many options for the HDMI cable, The cable i am using (from monoprice.com) is flexible enough to turn 90 degrees, there are also short adapter cables from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation-...tronics&sr=1-6

I have thought about removing the mono RCA jack from the back. haven't decided yet, i could make a little double female adapter for where the cable leaves the case also.

One thing to note, you do not need the video hybrid to be in place when using the HDMI out, so it makes for a good test if your Amiga is not outputting RGB.
Old 07 March 2021, 20:54   #15
snz138

I finally re-checked the fitment today and no it doesn't fit well at all...

(What I had quickly tested before was TF534 on CPU relocator that was standing on three 64-pin sockets on top of the original (CPU) socket.
There is no space for the HDMI cable (TF534 blocks it) and the metal shield doesn't fit or the case...)

So looks like Kipper2k's re-designed PCB will be the way to go for me at least (as I guess it will be sporting FF-OSD headers built-in
Old 12 April 2021, 21:31   #16
Ferry

Quote:

Very nice work. It's similar too to LinuxJedi design -or his is similar to yours - :

https://linuxjedi.co.uk/2021/04/11/d...pld-rgbtohdmi/

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 12 April 2021, 21:34   #17
Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I have thought about removing the mono RCA jack from the back.
Not a bad idea at all: I never got what was it good for… Monitoring, perhaps?

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 12 April 2021, 21:52   #18
solarmon

I have uploaded my KiCAD design files for my various RGBtoHDMI custom boards and adapters to:

https://github.com/solarmon/RGBtoHDMI
Old 12 April 2021, 23:05   #19
eXeler0

Quote:
I have uploaded my KiCAD design files for my various RGBtoHDMI custom boards and adapters to:

https://github.com/solarmon/RGBtoHDMI
Very nice, thanx for sharing
Old 17 August 2021, 09:53   #20
lyzanxia

Talking about heat, saw yesterday in the menu that you can see the PI's cpu temp..it was 55C (I had put a heatsink on it). Wondering how hot the denise gets (put a heatsink on it anyway while I was there)..