http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...aming-handheld

Have fun
Old 15 January 2013, 12:56   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

"4:3 aspect ratio is ideal for retro gaming"
Old 15 January 2013, 13:33   #3
Amiga1992

This machine is just like the Caanoo. Almost exact same spec.
With all developers fapping to the Pandora, this is not going anywhere.
The Caanoo is cheaper, go get that and enjoy the software library already available for it, which includes plenty of great emulators.
Old 15 January 2013, 13:52   #4
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Indeed this does look like the Caanoo, and as nice as the Caanoo is unfortunately the amiga and c64 emulators on it are quite poor and unlikely to get updates since there is no interest in the GP2X handhelds anymore.
Most 2d console systems run fine on it though and i still think the caanoo is a great handheld.

I see the gcw is slightly faster then a caanoo, but not by much as i can overclock my caanoo to 833mhz anyway.

Also i agree with Akira that this will probably go nowhere, especially with the flood of android devices out there.
The gcw will most likely end up like the GP2X handhelds, great support at first then it will just die out.
Old 15 January 2013, 14:00   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Indeed this does look like the Caanoo, and as nice as the Caanoo is unfortunately the amiga and c64 emulators on it are quite poor and unlikely to get updates since there is no interest in the GP2X handhelds anymore.
And neither will be any on this one. It's running the Dingoo Linux, meaning whatever is developed for Dingoo will run on this. And that isn't much.

Everybody went Pandora and never looked back. All these "open consoles" are pretty much dead and it's pointless to create any more. Android consoles like the JX are a different thing, though, as Android is a very solid and popular OS with lots of developers.
Old 16 January 2013, 08:22   #6
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And neither will be any on this one. It's running the Dingoo Linux, meaning whatever is developed for Dingoo will run on this. And that isn't much.
What? At least Vice is a lot better than the Caanoo port. Could you please tell me about the emulator you are missing for the A320? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kaEN1dVE#gid=0
Every chinese android handheld (JXD, Yinlips) had some major flaws and the Archos Gamepad doesn't seem to be a lot better. It's almost impossible to get your hands on a new Caanoo these days and I think there's still a (small) market for Open Source Handhelds. The Pandora is just too expensive.
Old 16 January 2013, 10:34   #7
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I just watched a couple of youtube videos showing you the amiga and c64 emu's running on the Dingoo, and i must say they do look a lot better then the Caanoo ports.

So if this new GZW Zero portable can run the dingoo emulator ports, it should run them even better because the gcw is much faster then the Dingoo!

And in saying that, even if there isn't much support for the gzw, i would imagine it would still be a nice little portable commodore emulator handheld. Plus as mentioned there are a lot of other emu's for the Dingoo OS as well.

It's a shame the Caanoo scene faded away, but what is available for it is still decent. It's a great little machine, nice build and fairly fast, snes/megadrive emulators run pretty much perfect on it etc, but don't expect anything new to come out on the caanoo in the future though.
There are still new caanoo's available on ebay for around $140 Australian dollars if you hunt around, usually from asia.

And the pandora, while a great machine, is not the most portable, and is more expensive and it's also very hard to find one to buy.

I still have my Caanoo and still love it, but i think my next purchase will be one of the better jxd android handhelds, simply because there is so much available for android.

Han.
Old 16 January 2013, 14:09   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
So if this new GZW Zero portable can run the dingoo emulator ports, it should run them even better because the gcw is much faster then the Dingoo!
Not really, because that would mean the GP2X port of the C64 emulator would run faster on Caanoo, but it doesn't, because it lacks optimization for the Caanoo's faster processor.

The reason we don't have a better C64 emulator on Caanoo is dev laziness and/or lack of interest. Same for the Amiga emulator, although I think it runs pretty well. After everybody jumped to Pandora development, nobody gave a toss about the Caanoo anymore.

The GWD's 200Mhz extra won't make much of a difference compared to the Caanoo. As you can see, SNES emulation runs great on the Caanoo, and I bet that's a bit more complicated to pull off, processor wise. The Amiga and C64 emus just need a loving, optimizing hand, but nobody will give it that

I did not mean the Dingoo had a feeble emulator library, really. I just meant, it's a stagnant library.
Old 16 January 2013, 14:26   #9
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I agree that the commodore emulators on the caanoo simply needed a better port, or more optimizations, the caanoo was fast enough but simply didn't get the love when it came to c64 and amiga emu's.

I can actually play some ps1 games at full speed on my caanoo, yet an 8bit c64 emulator runs like crap on it. Although the caanoo is faster then the dingoo, the dingoo versions obviously got better ports then the caanoo ones and ran much faster on a slower system.

Also the caanoo is only 533mhz with 128mb ram out of the box, mine can handle an oc up to 833mhz, but not everyone can oc that high, some seem to be limited to around the 700mhz range.

The dingoo A320 is only 336 MHz with 32mb ram, and the A380 is 500mhz with 64mb ram.

The GCW Zero runs at 1ghz and has 512mb of ram, so it is quite a step up from the dingoo and even the caanoo, i would imagine that dingoo software/or ports would run much faster on the gcw.

Last edited by hansel75; 16 January 2013 at 14:56.
Old 16 January 2013, 15:22   #10
Amiga1992

Well, I just think the console itself could be cool, but the choice to use dingux is a bit ass-backwards. If it ran Android, this would be a killer little console.
Old 16 January 2013, 15:32   #11
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Everybody went Pandora and never looked back.
You mean all the developers went Pandora. Everyone else paid a lot of money to join a queue for five years.
Old 16 January 2013, 15:35   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512 View Post
You mean all the developers went Pandora. Everyone else paid a lot of money to join a queue for five years.
Yeah, I am talking only developer-wise. Probably one of those rare, few platforms with lots of developer support but actually close to non-existent user base ;P
Old 16 January 2013, 15:42   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Here we go again
Old 17 January 2013, 00:44   #14
subone

I'm quite surprised hearing such pessimitics remarks from here about that project.
The conceptor have respectable motivations and a good way of thinking about retro : http://www.superlongname.com/intervi...from-gcw-zero/
Old 17 January 2013, 00:59   #15
s2325
Zone Friend

I think it's not bad handheld but will be quickly forgotten as similar devices.
Old 16 May 2013, 15:59   #16
s2325
Zone Friend

Anyone bought Ocosmos? Should be enough to emulate Amiga and Atari ST http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/03/o...ming-handheld/