English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 13 July 2007, 12:16   #1
Blip

Sprite movement and Collision Routine

Hi
Does anyone have a basic sprite movement, animation and collision asm sample?
Thanks
Old 13 July 2007, 13:43   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm sure the Hardware Manual covers this in detail. Not sure if there are examples but it explains the principles and what registers etc you need to check/modify
Old 13 July 2007, 14:02   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I have attached 2 sprite routines to this message, one for 64pixel wide (i.e. AGA) sprites (attached/normal) and one very simple routine that sets a normal 4 color 16 pixel sprite. First routine is straight from my demosystem, the other one I pasted from a very old intro I did back in 1992. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt SetSprite.i.txt (1.8 KB, 433 views)
File Type: txt SetSprite_Simple.s.txt (687 Bytes, 385 views)
Old 13 July 2007, 14:12   #4
Blip

Thanks guys! its a start.
Old 13 July 2007, 14:29   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Ok, me again, I've quickly adapted an old demopart of mine and removed everything except the spriteanimation routines. Also singlefiled it. I'll attach it to this message. I didn't bother to clean up the copperlist so there are some things that are not needed in it (original demopart features the spriteanim and a lightsourced vectorcube ;D). Oh, and the spriteanim is not ripped from Dynablaster, friend of mine drew it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt spriteanim_eab.s.txt (18.2 KB, 400 views)
Old 15 July 2007, 11:04   #6
Blip

Nice one! Thanks again StingRay.
Old 24 September 2007, 01:12   #7
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I've tried compiling the spriteanim code in Devpac 3.18 but its not having it. I get an error on line 162:

Code:
Error: wrong processor at line 162 in file spriteanim_eab.s
Here is that line:
Code:
.getit movec vbr, d0
Any ideas?
Old 24 September 2007, 03:36   #8
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

It's a 68020+ instruction so you will need to tell your assembler that it is OK to use. I hate Devpac so can't tell you what option/flags you need to set - or you could try changing the line to:

Code:
dc.l $4e7a0801
and seeing if that fixes it. From memory that is the opcode for that instruction but someone with an assembler handy can verify if it's not!
Old 24 September 2007, 09:57   #9
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Ah thanks codetapper!

I changed to 68020 mode in the options and it worked. I'm not sure if thats the right opcode for the instruction.

I did encounter some warnings due to various spaces between comma's and numeric values in about 7 or 8 dc.l definitions. Not sure why the spaces were in there.

I also encountered 4 error messages due to a piece of code defined as AnimTabPtr_Sp and Devpac couldn't find the code as it was looking for AnimTabPtr_SP. Looks like case definitely matters to Devpac.

@StingRay: What is the FX Lib?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Devpac.png
Views:	540
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	14829  

Last edited by Steve; 24 September 2007 at 10:05.
Old 27 September 2007, 15:29   #10
Kalms

Case sensitivity can be turned on/off in the options.

Some versions of GenAm (Devpac's assembler) are sensitive to extraneous spaces in operand lists, some are not. I think GenAm from Devpac 3.14 handled the spaces.
Old 09 March 2010, 09:38   #11
Asman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I have attached 2 sprite routines to this message, one for 64pixel wide (i.e. AGA) sprites (attached/normal) and one very simple routine that sets a normal 4 color 16 pixel sprite. First routine is straight from my demosystem, the other one I pasted from a very old intro I did back in 1992. Hope it helps.
Hi StingRay,

Very nice routines. I found a tiny mistake in SetSprite.i.txt comment. Should be "Also, Bit 2+3 in $dff1fc have to be set!"

I found very interesting doc about sprites. http://www.winnicki.net/amiga/achtun..._one_line.html and If I understand correctly that is possible to make 320-pixel wide ( five 64pixel sprites ) background with 16 colors. Can someone post some source about this nice effect ?

Regards
asman
Old 09 March 2010, 09:48   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Hi StingRay,

Very nice routines. I found a tiny mistake in SetSprite.i.txt comment. Should be "Also, Bit 2+3 in $dff1fc have to be set!"
Not a mistake (not for me at least as I perfectly understand the comment I made there) as I just counted the bits from 1 instead of 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
and If I understand correctly that is possible to make 320-pixel wide ( five 64pixel sprites ) background with 16 colors. Can someone post some source about this nice effect ?
Why would you need a source for that? Sprite routines are here in the thread, that's all you need.
Old 09 March 2010, 10:42   #13
Asman

Quote:
Not a mistake (not for me at least as I perfectly understand the comment I made there) as I just counted the bits from 1 instead of 0.
Thats change everything. Sorry for my math perversion

Quote:
Why would you need a source for that? Sprite routines are here in the thread, that's all you need.
Good point. When I answer for that question I just realized that you're right. Thanks
Old 18 March 2010, 00:55   #14
Photon

Is there like a 'HRM for AGA' somewhere? Sorry for my ignorance, but since Stingray did a fine job helping out with the sprite extravaganza, and I've only seen some shady .txt files on AGA differences back in the day, I'd really like to know if there is, or if we should start an 'AGA differences wiki' before the information dies with the coders

Haven't really looked before, a link will suffice if there is already documentation online.
Old 18 March 2010, 01:17   #15
Leffmann

The most complete source of info is the AA specification document. You can find it in the ASM-One 1.48 archive here http://www.theflamearrows.info/ftp/asmonev148.lha.

AGA is a pretty small upgrade really, it's not like learning a new hardware or anything. People coming from OCS/ECS should pay attention to the new FMODE register, it's the usual culprit when you can't get your stuff to display properly on AGA.
Old 18 March 2010, 01:49   #16
Photon

Yeah, well I just think there ought to be a proper (Commodore should have released a HRM) version for AGA and not some ascii in an .lha file somewhere which only coders can find

I know, I know, I've come in 12+ years after the fact, but still. Seems a little like learning AGA tricks is like searching for some obscure playing tips for an old adventure game... if you know what I mean...
Old 18 March 2010, 02:07   #17
Leffmann

I think the explanation was that Commodore were trying to get developers to start doing things through the Kickstart APIs instead of hitting the hardware directly, in order to prevent more software from being locked to specific machines.

The AA spec is a bit brief but it works great as a complement to the HRM, and I don't think there are any mysteries left in the AGA anymore unless you take weird intricate timing details into consideration.
Old 18 March 2010, 18:35   #18
Photon

OK, I'll have a look when it's time to aga.

Surely they must have documented the hardware changes? I'm hanging on to this question like a terrier just in case someone apart from our usual visitors here DOES know of some obscure but proper book.
Old 18 November 2010, 17:21   #19
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Hi,

I have a small problem in that the HSTART,VSTART and HSTOP data is getting displayed along with the sprite! Can anyone please tell me why and how do I correct this, please?

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpriteProblem.png
Views:	398
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	27034  
Old 18 November 2010, 18:46   #20
pmc
gone

Hey Lonewolf10

can you post a code and sprite data snippet...?