English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 November 2021, 11:30   #1
kriz

Petscii Robots invade the C128, Amiga, NES and more!

From the 8-bit guy: An Amiga version of his Petscii Robots game is coming:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 November 2021, 14:03   #2
ESC
Bad Banana

More games are always fun but petscii-robots isn't that interesting to me personally, since it was built for the Commodore Pet from the start a lot of the limitations of that platform is still in place.

I do however wish them all the luck in the world and that everyone that buys a copy is happy with their product
Old 13 November 2021, 23:06   #3
Nightshft

I didn't really follow this in the last months. Really nice project with all those ports. Wish them all of luck!
Old 14 November 2021, 05:44   #4
Vstech

looked like a cool conversion project. and new amiga games are always appreciated by me.

slugs is fantastic...

anyway, it appears they are adding a lot to the amiga port, so hopefully it will shine.

they did add a lot to the 128 version, and the amiga has SO much more than 128 does...
Old 14 November 2021, 13:35   #5
rare_j
Zone Friend

It looks nice graphically but the movement is immediately jarring. The blocky movement of the playable area and characters, which is perfectly acceptable on an 8 bit machine, looks out of place on the 16 bit versions.
I don't know why the would have gone with that kind of movement seeing as it must have been a complete rewrite anyway. Maybe it's an integral part of the gameplay?
Old 14 November 2021, 18:18   #6
BSzili
old chunk of coal

You can have smooth scrolling but keep the player movement grid-locked, many 16-bit JRPGs did this. I suppose the main problem is the status panel on the right.
Old 14 November 2021, 19:20   #7
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
You can have smooth scrolling but keep the player movement grid-locked, many 16-bit JRPGs did this. I suppose the main problem is the status panel on the right.
Yes, while it would be probably possible with a copper-list that changes display pointers at the right time it is complicated ..

But many ports do show the status bar below the playfield, so there is no need to do put this panel on the right...
Old 16 November 2021, 01:43   #8
rare_j
Zone Friend

Ah I see thanks for the explanation, didn't know it was difficult to do scrolling with a sidebar.

Wonder what the snes version's excuse is
Old 25 December 2021, 17:25   #9
Vesuri

The Amiga version is now available at https://www.the8bitguy.com/product/p...ots-for-amiga/ . It should work on any classic m68k Amiga with 512kB of chip memory. 1MB of memory is required for music. It multitasks in its own screen and is HD installable. It supports keyboard, 1 button joystick, 2 button joystick and CD32 pad controls.
Old 25 December 2021, 18:32   #10
zzbylu
Saberman

Gameplay: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 December 2021, 19:57   #11
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuri View Post
The Amiga version is now available at https://www.the8bitguy.com/product/p...ots-for-amiga/ . It should work on any classic m68k Amiga with 512kB of chip memory. 1MB of memory is required for music. It multitasks in its own screen and is HD installable. It supports keyboard, 1 button joystick, 2 button joystick and CD32 pad controls.
How much RAM is left on the 512k usually for a music if is a chiptune or similar? I recently did some 15k tunes and can go a bit lower if needed
Old 25 December 2021, 20:37   #12
Vesuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
How much RAM is left on the 512k usually for a music if is a chiptune or similar?

This depends completely on the game, the graphics and sound assets and the choices made by the developer. In this case the graphics required a fair amount of chip memory but mainly it was a choice regarding the quality of the samples used for the music and the sound effects. It could most certainly have been possible to have both music and sound effects on a 512k system by reducing sample quality (or indeed going for chiptunes). Instead, when having to choose, decent sound effects were considered to be more important than music (by David Murray), so 1MB (512k chip + 512k any) was made a requirement to have both. Afterall, 1MB was a common configuration even back in the day, and these days having anything less is almost certainly a conscious choice made by the user.
Old 25 December 2021, 20:41   #13
Vesuri

For those interested, I've written a WHDLoad installer for the game. It'll be available from http://whdload.de/ after wepl is done with the xmas season.
Old 27 December 2021, 13:57   #14
apex

Fantastic, thank you.
Can I have it before?
Old 28 December 2021, 00:34   #15
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

The WHDLoad installer is up on the WHDLoad site now, apex. You just need to bring your own copy of Petscii Robots to use with it.
Old 04 January 2022, 11:35   #16
rabidgerry

Anyone tried this with anything other than basic config machines? Don't wanna buy if it aint gonna work. Although it looks cool and reminds me of Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters in a few ways.

If I got the digital release I could make a WHD load version using the installer right?
Sorry for stupid questions
Old 04 January 2022, 12:16   #17
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

The digital download comes with an LHA archive of the installed WHDLoad version.
Old 04 January 2022, 12:42   #18
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
The digital download comes with an LHA archive of the installed WHDLoad version.
I like the cut of your jib!
Old 04 January 2022, 12:47   #19
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It's less arcade-like than Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters with more focus on exploration and finding ways to indirectly destroy or bypass robots.
Old 04 January 2022, 13:37   #20
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
It's less arcade-like than Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters with more focus on exploration and finding ways to indirectly destroy or bypass robots.
After watching a video of it I saw there was more in depth stuff to get involved in, it was more so the theme and the weird angle that reminded me of it.

Downloaded me the digital release there so I'll be checking it out later on