English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 October 2021, 01:54   #1
prime1976

Monitor Cable 1084S Amiga RGB (23-pin-f) to DB9 (m) Can I use a DB9 to vga?

Hi every one I have a 1084S, Amiga RGB (23-pin-f) to DB9 (m) cable and I was wondering if I could use a DB9 to VGA adapter on this cable? Will this work and essentially convert the rgb out to vga like the amiga rgb to vga converters?

What I want to do is hook my Amiga up to a Sony BVM 20f1u through the bnc inputs so I want to go from vga to bnc out of my Amiga. I can use a vga to bnc cable or I can plug the vga signal into a extron to combine the h snd v sync if I have to. Hopefully some one can help thanks so much in advance.

Link to wire I am talking about

https://amigastore.eu/en/224-monitor...-to-db9-m.html

Link to RGB to VGA converter I am talking about.

https://amigastore.eu/en/207-amiga-r...-modified.html
Old 20 October 2021, 04:57   #2
amiman99

You can use that Amiga RGB to VGA adapter with any video display that supports 15khz.
So, if you have a VGA to BNC RGB cable it should work. The only problem I see is Sync.

Does your monitor accepts both H+V and composite sync?
I don't know what "extron" is...
Old 21 October 2021, 10:56   #3
prime1976

The monitor only has one sync input. The extron is a box that takes the vga input and combines the h and v sync. What I was wondering tho is
could I use the cable I already have
but convert the DB9 end to VGA with an adapter.
Old 21 October 2021, 12:43   #4
Jope
-

I would much rather get a D23 -> DE15 converter and a VGA -> BNC cable and use that to hook up to the BVM.

Make sure you get a buffered D23->DE15 converter! Then you can use a BNC T connector to combine the syncs and it should work sort of fine. Or take the terminator out of the Sync out connector and connect the other sync cable to that, I've done that too and didn't manage to fry anything so far.

But make sure your adapter has sync buffering! You want to sacrifice that TTL chip instead of anything inside your Amiga.
Old 21 October 2021, 13:45   #5
pandy71

You can modify cable to accommodate composite sync signal from Amiga (replace HSync with CSync) eventually you may try to combine Green with CSync and select on your Sony "Composite on Green" - Issue with plain H and V sync signals is that they are not mode to deal with interlace in similar fashion as TV - not sure if there is substantial difference on Agnus between H Sync, V Sync and C Sync signal but available Agnus datasheet imply that there are some differences and CSync is not simply OR for H and V sync.
Another option is to use one of very simple H & V sync combiners, most of them use 7486 and produce composite sync, at the same time you will get recommended buffering.

Some circuits bellow:
https://www.electroschematics.com/vga-to-bnc-adapter/
or
https://www.raphnet.net/electronique...n-green_en.php