English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 November 2010, 00:32   #1
Dreedo

Running Homebrew

I was wondering, can i run homebrew off of a floppy?

Like use a CF card to write a homebrew game for example to a floppy, will that just run on a normal amiga with no tinkering?
Old 08 November 2010, 00:52   #2
8bitbubsy

Yes you can, most of the times... Just make a directory called S on the floppy, then make a file called "startup-sequence" in that folder. Then put the text "my_binary_app_name" (without quotes) in the file and save.
Now you have a bootable floppy that starts the game when you turn on your Amiga and wait. If you need libraries and stuff like that, then I don't know.. You might need to assign Libs: to SYS:Libs/ (assign SYS: to your HDD, or just write DH0: etc)

We don't usually call Amiga stuff homebrew... Homebrew sounds more like apps for a hacked/jailbreaked system :P

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 08 November 2010 at 00:57.
Old 08 November 2010, 00:53   #3
Dreedo

Ok thanks, i'll look more into it when i get hold of the stuff i need.
Old 08 November 2010, 01:50   #4
Leffmann

That question answers itself in a way if you've ever inserted a game disk and played it on your Amiga. Most of the old Amiga games were developed on the same, or slightly expanded, Amigas they were intended to be run on.

You can get all the software you need on Aminet or from people here on EAB. If you're just starting out then I can recommend AMOS Professional which is an easy to use programming language that comes with lots of tools, help files, graphics and games examples.
Old 08 November 2010, 02:23   #5
Dreedo

Thanks, theres some really interesting looking stuff on Aminet.
Old 08 November 2010, 02:51   #6
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
The mentioned floppy must have a boot block on it or no bananas.

Before putting files on the disk, install a boot block:

On a shell ( = CLI, newshell, DOS window) type "install DF0:". Wait for the disk activity to stop and your disk is done.

Remember to format the floppy as OFS if you want it recognized on 1.3 machines like old A500/A1000.
Old 08 November 2010, 08:34   #7
Jope
-

Interesting choice of words, "homebrew".. That implies that it's developed with reverse-engineered SDKs and needs tricks to be started on the target hardware, like it has traditionally been on game consoles.

But this is not a game console. No such tricks are needed with computers. All the developer information was widely available and everyone was encouraged to develop back when these machines were sold. Basically just like with a modern computer, they're fully open and you can run what you please on them.

So, no modchips required, no trickery. You just need to learn a few of the ins and outs of AmigaOS and you're on your way.

In a way this thread saddens me (drawing a parallel from our beloved computer to a children's game console), but looking at your age, you've grown up exposed to a rather different way of thinking. :-)
Old 08 November 2010, 12:45   #8
Dreedo

Actually Homebrew usually means something you do yourself. Its just means you were 'brewing' it at 'home'.

Its an actual term in alchohol, if you homebrew alchohol it usually means your brewing alchohol as a hobby.
Old 08 November 2010, 13:00   #9
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Before console hacking, Im sure we just called it programming !
Old 08 November 2010, 13:02   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Before console hacking, Im sure we just called it programming !

On a more serious note : Take rkauer's 'install' and bubsy's 'startup-sequence' and you should be able to make a working floppy with your own program.

Last edited by TCD; 08 November 2010 at 13:16.
Old 08 November 2010, 13:10   #11
Dreedo

KK thanks for all the information guys.
Old 09 November 2010, 00:07   #12
Stedy

Dreedo,

You mean you want to create a bootdisk.....

Used to do that a lot back in the day. One tip, download Snoopdos from Aminet. Run snoopdos and then execute your programme, the snoopdos output will easily identify what libraries and assigns your disk/application needs, especially helpful if running via workbench.

Depending on what your application does, you will need some AmigaDOS programs in the C: directory, typically, setpatch, addbuffers (to buffer the drive), loadwb, endcli/endshell, a few assigments and you should be good to go.

A useful command, for determining what files to copy is 'which'. Using this with an executable, e.g. which setenv, returns a result of 'INTERNAL' indicating the command is in ROM. Likewise, 'which assign' returns C:/Assign.

This command also works on most Unix style systems.

Ian
Old 09 November 2010, 00:54   #13
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Actually Homebrew usually means something you do yourself. Its just means you were 'brewing' it at 'home'.

Its an actual term in alchohol, if you homebrew alchohol it usually means your brewing alchohol as a hobby.
Yes, but the term started with hacked/jailbreaked systems... It just sounds wrong to use it for Amiga applications
Old 09 November 2010, 02:15   #14
Dreedo

Ok, confusing. But thanks anyway.

And in my own little world i shall call it homebrew, but if it makes you feel better i shall call them 'Independantly developed amiga programs' whilst on the forum.
Old 09 November 2010, 02:17   #15
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I remember the term "homebrew" being used to describe bedroom coding long before devices needed to be hacked/jailbroken to run stuff on.

But todays definition seems to be running stuff you arent supposed to on hacked/rooted/jailbroken devices and consoles.